Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-10, 06:03

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

The reasoning behind the diet can be explained in one good article article or message board post. It doesn't take several hundred pages of waffle.
People spending good money on a book that is basically going to tell them to stop eating starch and start eating meat, fish, eggs, nuts, fruit and veg (have I left anything out?) have more money than sense.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-10, 11:14

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:
Progress: 97%

Here is a series of videos about Paleo (via LLVLC):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_dheOrR3iY

I haven't seen them yet.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-10, 13:42

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 254/222/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren D
The reasoning behind the diet can be explained in one good article article or message board post. It doesn't take several hundred pages of waffle.
People spending good money on a book that is basically going to tell them to stop eating starch and start eating meat, fish, eggs, nuts, fruit and veg (have I left anything out?) have more money than sense.

I completely agree with this post - in fact, my cousin purchased 'The Primal Blueprint' and it seems to have some interesting discrepancies from what I've learned on the website and from other more experienced Primals.

I much prefer the info I've recieved in forums - its more comprehensive and immediate questions are easily answered.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-10, 04:26

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren D
Does anyone know what diet books paleolithic people read?

http://www.fatlava.nl/attachments/I...ve_drawings.gif

No recipes....though I could be wrong.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-10, 10:11

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectfit
http://www.fatlava.nl/attachments/I...ve_drawings.gif

No recipes....though I could be wrong.
Ah yes. That was the menu in a paleolithic era restaurant. The idea was that you pointed at a pic of what you wanted to eat.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-10, 15:37

Plan: PaleoNu
Stats: 157/145/145 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Not strictly a Paleo book per se, but the one book I would recommend most is actually Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. It is the most definitive treatise on the effects of carbohydrate consumption in the human body, and its effects on insulin and the regulation of body fat storage. This book is packed with references to peer-reviewed research articles, and is very well written. If you only read one book on the subject, it should be this one.

It can be a bit on the technical side, though.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-10, 17:30
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwu
Not strictly a Paleo book per se, but the one book I would recommend most is actually Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. It is the most definitive treatise on the effects of carbohydrate consumption in the human body, and its effects on insulin and the regulation of body fat storage. This book is packed with references to peer-reviewed research articles, and is very well written. If you only read one book on the subject, it should be this one.

It can be a bit on the technical side, though.

It is a great book, thought the subject is not really Paleo. It does give a very good overview of the body's metabolic mechanisms. He is coming out with a new book in a few weeks called Why We Get Fat...and What To Do About It. It's supposed to be a more layperson version of GCBC.

--Melissa
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-10, 11:07

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 150/128/128 Female 63"
BF:21%

I vote for Neanderthin. Audette got it right the first time, imo. That said, I think his fear of raw animal foods is a bit overblown. I have been eating raw meat regularly (but not exclusively by any means) and have for over 3 years. I suppose I have Nourishing Traditions to thank for getting me into the idea of that. Dietary AGEs appear to be a problem and perhaps a cause for some diseases, according to research. See review paper below. And the thing about Paleo eating is that it does come from foods which are all edible raw.

http://biomedgerontology.oxfordjour.../65A/9/963.full
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-10, 18:27

Plan: PaleoNu
Stats: 157/145/145 Male 70 inches
BF:

Is Neanderthin available anywhere for a reasonable price? The last I looked, it seemed to be out-of-print, and the few copies left were going for something like $80 per copy.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-10, 09:13

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 150/128/128 Female 63"
BF:21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwu
Is Neanderthin available anywhere for a reasonable price? The last I looked, it seemed to be out-of-print, and the few copies left were going for something like $80 per copy.

Huh, too bad. I have a cheap paperback copy. Maybe look around at used book stores. Or maybe another choice?
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-10, 12:26

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some

i paid $1 for my Neanderthin but that's been some years ago. $80!!??
keep your eyes open at thrift stores, places like 1/2 price books, garage sales.....
i always check out books whever i go and never pay much.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-10, 12:47

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some

i did a google search which brought up some copies of Neanderthin in the $20 something range but there's one on ebay for 18.99 w free shipping from goodwillexpress.
Might want to jump on that.

otherewise amazon has some options.

it's out there just do a thorough search.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 08:42

Plan: Paleo Diet
Stats: 160/149/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwu

If you can't find a copy to buy at a price you like you can try getting a copy through your local public library. If they don't own it ask them to try to get it through interlibrary loan. I just checked WorldCat, which is a national database many libraries use, and there are nearly 200 copies available around the country.

I have been reading the Robb Wolf book, I like it quite a lot. It brings together some bits of information I knew but had forgotten and I'm learning some new stuff too. It does have typos but it seems like every book I've read in the past year or so has them. Maybe the publishers have let go all their proofreaders to cut costs??
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 14:35

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 165/152/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 52%

I like the Atkins New Diet Revolution. Not paleo per se, but Atkins had a lot of insight well before his time. He was a great enthusiastic low carb cheerleader. A very fun read. The paleo books are okay but a lot of the information in them is being continually updated, so blogs and forums like these are more up to date and accurate.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-11, 20:25
fabulously me

Plan: just lowest carbs poss
Stats: 242/242/130 Female 5ft 8
BF:
Progress: 0%

wow the garden of eating book is like £129 on amazon