Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, May-17-10, 17:06

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

i believe that the only way to know if you're getting enough mineral is a bone density test.
then retest in a year of two and compare.

too many peop have relied on mineral level testing only to be very surprised later.....a break/fracture is not a nice way to find out.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, May-17-10, 18:25
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Hmm...I don't eat dairy at all, and yet somehow - I'm just not all that concerned with calcium. I keep hearing that dairy isn't as great a calcium source as it's made out to be, but who knows?

I did find this:

Quote:
Excellent or very good food sources of calcium include dark green leafy vegetables, tofu curded with calcium, nuts, seeds, molasses, and dairy products. Keep in mind that while dairy foods are a well-known food source of calcium, many individuals are sensitive to or are unable to fully digest dairy proteins or a particular sugar found in dairy products, called "lactose." Vegetarian sources of calcium can provide substantial levels of calcium with just a fraction of the calories of dairy products. For example, 1/4 cup of whole sesame seeds contains 351 mg of calcium, yet has only 206 calories, and four ounces of tofu (calcium-curded) provide almost 400 mg of calcium with only 86 calories.

from: http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=14

And no, I am not interested in tofu ...

and this bit:

Quote:
Food Sources

Excellent sources of calcium include spinach, turnip greens, mustard greens and collard greens.

Very good sources of calcium include blackstrap molasses, Swiss chard, yogurt, kale, mozzarella cheese, cow's milk, and goat's milk. Basil, thyme, dill seed, cinnamon, and peppermint leaves are also very good sources of calcium.

Good sources of calcium include romaine lettuce, celery, broccoli, sesame seeds, fennel, cabbage, summer squash, green beans, garlic, tofu, Brussel sprouts, oranges, asparagus and crimini mushrooms. Oregano, rosemary, parsley, kombu, and kelp are also good sources of calcium.

from: http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tnam...=45#foodsources

In that second link, there's also a chart of the "World's Healthiest Foods ranked as quality sources of calcium."

Interestingly - greens, sardines, fish, nuts and seeds feature prominently on the chart of foods containing the most calcium.

Certainly, dairy is a good source of calcium in some cases, but it's not necessarily the only source or even the best source of calcium.

I eat a lot of greens, fish, a few nuts and seeds, and I'm honestly not concerned about my calcium intake.

A couple of favourites:

Canned wild Alaska salmon - just mush up with the bones, include some green onion ends, some mayo or what have you - delicious. Make salmon burgers out of canned wild Alaska salmon and leave those soft bones in there. Mash up a 14-ounce can of wild Alaska salmon with one egg, some diced onion if you like - turn into four or five 'patties' on a cutting board, transfer carefully into a frying pan and pan-fry for 14 minutes per side, being careful not to turn any of the patties over until at least 14 minutes have elapsed, so as not to have them crumble apart. Add homemade low-carb tartar sauce if you like (mayo, dry mustard powder, lemon juice, dill relish, onion bits if you like).

Same deal with sardines - mush them up, don't worry about what they look like, once mashed up with chopped cornichons, lemon juice, mayo - quite tasty.

Last edited by Citruskiss : Mon, May-17-10 at 18:35.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, May-17-10, 18:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

But how much calcium are you actually absorbing from those foods with lots of phytates and saponins. Not much from what I've read.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, May-28-10, 15:00

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)
Progress: 0%

okay, so i gave into having some dairy around again... I'm pretty sure it's causing a stall. go figure! the only dairy I have left is some butter.... do you think this as troublesome as the cheese and heavy whipping cream that got me into trouble??
  #20   ^
Old Sat, May-29-10, 08:22

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

butter is totally fine for me I am sure - I really don't get any bloating from it or tiredness, but I do seem to react to other forms of dairy. Maybe try some ghee? What other fats do you eat? I'm still struggling to find decent replacements for dairy.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, May-31-10, 08:30

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)

I do have lard for cooking eggs, meats and vegetables in, but often I forget to use it and instead use olive oil! oops.

I'm feeling a bit discouraged at finding my sweet spot of carbs, proteins, fats etc.... have been a bit stalled and wondering what the culprit is! could be a slip up I had last weekend (hard apple cider! so good, but so bad!) wondering if I am retaining water again, usually seems to be the pattern when I have booze :/
  #22   ^
Old Mon, May-31-10, 09:51
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo GF/CF
Stats: 143/143/135 Female 65"
BF:
Default vitamin k

The Whole Health Source has some interesting posts on vitamin K. It is supposed to help your body put calcium where it should go and not where it shouldn't.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, May-31-10, 12:30

Plan: No idea
Stats: 145/-/125 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFL112
The Whole Health Source has some interesting posts on vitamin K. It is supposed to help your body put calcium where it should go and not where it shouldn't.

Links please
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-10, 07:39

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I don't know those particular articles, but here's Whole Health Source:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/search?q=k2

And this is my go-to article for K2:

http://www.westonaprice.org/abcs-of...vitamin-k2.html

I'm surprised I didn't mention this when it came up, but as Nancy pointed out, many sources of calcium have antinutrients that prevent its absorption. Nuts and leafy greens have oxalates, which she didn't mention. Calcium oxalate is what kidney stones are made of, if that gives you an idea of what they do to you.

Antinutrients are my major complaint about the whfoods website. They're not taken into account in the calculations, and they're only briefly glossed over in the text. Nutrient availability is all but ignored on the site, which makes the data, and especially the rankings, nearly useless. Not to mention the ridiculousness of measuring nutrient content against calories instead of weight, volume, or typical serving size. That's an instant anti-fat bias, despite the fact that many fats are themselves essential nutrients, and fat improves absorption of a great number of nutrients.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-10, 08:36
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo GF/CF
Stats: 143/143/135 Female 65"
BF:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.c...enone-mk-4.html

This discusses the Weston Price work referenced above
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-10, 14:58

BF:

Mike & WFL112 thanks for the links.

Mike AFAIK - oxalate interferes with calcium absorption, but doesn't prevent it totally, right? Maybe I got that wrong?
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-10, 15:04

We were just discussing that on another thread, where someone mentioned that nut consumption is associated with lower heart disease risk. I can't give you a real answer, but I suspect it depends on the amount of calcium and the amount of oxalate.

Just don't eat raw rhubarb or raw taro, mmmkay?
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 01:59

BF:

Seems Gywneth Paltrow has announced she is suffering from early sign of osteopenia - its linked to very low levels of vit D

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100626...on-ea4616c.html
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 09:26

Last year I went looking for gluten-free celebrities. I found a few articles describing a "gluten-free" diet that Paltrow went on, but it included barley miso! Ick.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 12:31

BF:

Yes she is well known for the macrobiotic diet, which is opposite of ZC /carnivore(with no dairy), however, the thing the two diets have in common is both woes exclude dairy, there has been a case a couple of years ago of a lady from the UK who was on strict raw vegan and forced this on her kids, her kids developed rickets because she didn't give them milk which is fortified with vit D.

I am not really pro dairy, and frankly I never liked milk, but I think the subject it worth looking into.