Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 06:10

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 310/275/175 Female 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilhelmina
I want to add to the facts about swimming... I sometimes thought that my swimming as a child made my metabolism go haywire. We swam at all temperatures, I remember water of 54 degrees F.. that was COLD and you really needed to develop fat to be able to stand it, I think.
I swam every morning at 7 and every afteroon after school we were in the water. It was a small village and that was the only thing we could do <g> and I loved it!
Of course this is just one of the thoughts that have crossed my mind about the reason why I was so fat so quickly, so just thought, let's see what y'all think about that!?

do you all thinnk this is totally rubbish, or did this post just not appear in time to be reacted upon? just wondering!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 06:24
Registered Member

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 138/122/122 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wilhelmina, I have no personal experience with this (That's why I didn't post a response to it) but it makes sense to me.

Some of the Best Long Distance Swimmers who swim in the Cold rivers, and Oceans are over weight. It makes sense that they would have to be.

Just saw a documentary on a guy who holds the "records" for it.

As I said...I just don't have any personal experience with it. I'm not a "Swimmer" at all. lol
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 06:31
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

i have always been a swimmer, actually i would classify myself more of a snorkeler. i have what they call a swimmer's body.
long and lean, with broad shoulders.
swimming keeps my muscles taunt, hard, lean and not muscular.
keeps my legs lean.

i swear by swimming, always have.
maybe one day i'll get back on my total gym..
but for now, the water is too cold to swim in and i'd much rather listen to you all talk about developing muscles.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 07:14

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 160/150/175 Male 5'8''
BF:
Progress: -67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya13

Many people have had issues with energy on very low carb diets and exercise routines - especially high intensity ones, such as martial arts, weight lifting and others. In my experience, energy was never a problem for me following martial arts, weight training and other forms of exercise. But I have also seen that others don't do so well in this regard. Why is that?

Satya I have no idea on this either. Im the same as you, ive never had a problem, in fact my energy skyrocketed when I went meat and eggs, and the lower my carbs got, the more energy i had. And that was training full time as a professional athlete, then working at night as coach, alot of which was hands on a demonstrating, sometimes taking part in the sessions. Pretty much 14 hour days of non stop physical movement yet I burned out anyone who ever trained with me, when they hit the wall i was still going. I spoke about this with Dr Greg Ellis and he said when you make the metabolic switch you will outlast all the carb eaters, and it was true, he said the same effect happened with sled dogs, they performed better the lower the carbs got, and best as full carnivores- as they are in nature.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 07:48

Stats: 150/128/128 Female 63"
BF:21%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba
Satya I have no idea on this either. Im the same as you, ive never had a problem, in fact my energy skyrocketed when I went meat and eggs, and the lower my carbs got, the more energy i had.

How long have you been eating this way, Kelso? My, but we are so alike in many ways! Your training protocol was much more umphy than anything I could manage, but like you, I can't understand the guys who do martial arts and can't hang on vlc-zc. We are all so unique in some regards. And it sure is nice to have a spot where we can talk about this stuff, and disagree and learn and all that.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 07:56

Plan: Primal, Panu
Stats: 228/190/170 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Besides swimmers except at higher levels some long distance runers are skinny fat.

Even at a high level, take a look at the athletes in track & field sprinters have the best physiques. Perhaps it has something to do with sprinting promoting gowth homone production.

I also have very good energy on zc. Anecdotally, I've seen almost an equal number of people that are lethargic or lack a little zip.

The body's supposed to start using fat as an energy source could it be that it takes longer for some to adapt or that they aren't eating enough fat so that the switch never takes place?

Theoretically the switch should occur 3 to 6 weeks after going zc. Has it taken others longer? Probably but I would like to hear from others and what if anything did people to kick start it?
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 10:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya13
How long have you been eating this way, Kelso? My, but we are so alike in many ways! Your training protocol was much more umphy than anything I could manage, but like you, I can't understand the guys who do martial arts and can't hang on vlc-zc. We are all so unique in some regards. And it sure is nice to have a spot where we can talk about this stuff, and disagree and learn and all that.

I began eating just meat and eggs, and cream and cheese about 4 years ago now Satya, and before that i had been paleo for a year or so. Other than a trial reintroduction of fruits and veggies about a year ago- which was right before i or sick, and i didnt start improving until i removed them. Then i just went meat, and organ meat and dropped all the dairy about 6 months ago. So in total ive ive eating what you could call a traditional diet for over 5 years, and zero carb (if you include cheese, butter and cream) for 4 years, and pure just meat for 6 months. Although there were extended periods also within the previous 4 years i just ate meat with no dairy either.

Last edited by Kiba : Fri, Jan-22-10 at 11:06.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 11:04
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba
I spoke about this with Dr Greg Ellis and he said when you make the metabolic switch you will outlast all the carb eaters, and it was true, he said the same effect happened with sled dogs, they performed better the lower the carbs got, and best as full carnivores- as they are in nature.

That's how I felt when I went snow-shoeing. It wasn't that they could not keep up, but I did it fasted and kept going and they were eating gels and stuff.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 12:14

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%

I'm starting a lifting routine beginning tonight - I'm using the one that was on a blog posted on the ZC thread earlier (sorry the address escapes me now).

I have a question though for you guru's - my knees make a terrible and very loud crunching/crackling sound whenever I bend them. It doesn't occur when walking but when walking up stairs or bending fully at the knees. It's quite the alarming sound but I don't feel any pain. I'm guessing it's just strain on the joints due to my weight but I thought I'd ask.

I did a few squats yesterday (no weight - just trying to practice the correct form) and it's really alarming how loud the sound is.

DH swears all I need to do is eat celery.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 13:00

BF:

MM, If its not painful, its usually just pockets of nitrogen gas, that 'pop' as the joint moves through its range of motion. This can sometimes indicate you are holding tension tho- hence the sometimes relaxed feeling of a joint after it has been clicked. So you need to ask whats causing the tension? Usually a muscle group is holding tension around the joint, for instance, my knees click when my hamstrings are tight.
If its a constant and painful clicking though it may point to something else. For instance sometimes when my shoulder clicks its painful, and thats due the the trigger points, probably putting the joint in a poor position.
If its not hurting though i wouldnt worry to much about it, everything on me clicks, just stretch out.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 14:00
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Today is my day off the gym and I am jumping about. ZC gives me so much energy, but I know I need the rest for my muscles, especially at my size.

I might do a little broomstick routine tonight, but then cool it as I'm lifting tomorrow and snow-shoeing Sunday.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 15:27

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno123
I didn't read the research that you mentioned. I personally discount any research conducted by supplement companies because they have a vested interest in promoting eating protein before a workout. Most of the recent internet commentary (Robb Wolf, Dr. Harris, Mark Sisson, Art DeVaney, Ori Hoffmekler) has been about lifting and exercising fasted. Obviously, to each his own.

I have no idea what's better but I HATE working out after eating. Having an empty stomach (and empty small intestine) is just a matter of preference for me. I'm also lazy about eating afterwards - sometimes I wait until my regular dinnertime even if my workout was in the morning. Maybe that's bad, but my primary reason for exercise is because I like it, not for health or looks.

Last Sunday when I had my Chinese acrobatics class I got really tired afterwards. I was tired for a few days, in fact. I have no idea if it was because of the workout, but I had a lot of symptoms of being "glutened" around that time, so maybe it wasn't.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 15:28

Plan: Atkins Ind. + exercise
Stats: 209.0/200.6/155 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalmama
I'm starting a lifting routine beginning tonight - I'm using the one that was on a blog posted on the ZC thread earlier (sorry the address escapes me now).

I have a question though for you guru's - my knees make a terrible and very loud crunching/crackling sound whenever I bend them. It doesn't occur when walking but when walking up stairs or bending fully at the knees. It's quite the alarming sound but I don't feel any pain. I'm guessing it's just strain on the joints due to my weight but I thought I'd ask.

Sometimes that sound is related to a roughening of the cartilage under the knee cap, or a mal-tracking of the knee cap as you go through full range of motion, called chondromalacia. I got it from repeated knee surgeries after an ACL tear/repair and various cartilage tears. It sounds awful but doesn't hurt. Mine get achy during rapid weather shifts too. I suppose excess weight could put enough stress. For me, supplementing with glucosamine and chondroitin (sp?) helped a lot.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-10, 09:51
Registered Member

Plan: Lutz
Stats: 235/220/210 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:

I did a few squats yesterday (no weight - just trying to practice the correct form) and it's really alarming how loud the sound is.

The key to make squats safe is to make sure that knees are tracking straight over toes. The way to make sure that is happening is to use a slightly wider than shoulder width stance with the toes pointed out around 30 degrees and then really sit back and down into it while consciously making sure to shove the knees out towards the big toes and not letting the knees cave in towards the center anywhere in the motion.

Krista has a good squat tutorial here.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-10, 11:11
Registered Member

Plan: ZERO CARB
Stats: 167/145/120 Female 64
BF:25
Progress: 47%

Quote:

DH swears all I need to do is eat celery.

I have the same sounds in both my knees as well. I had 4 surgeries (2 in each ACL/MCL) and the DR told me its bad cartilage and loose cartilage. Time will make it worse and without a total knee replacement it will remain there.

That's what he told me they don't hurt but when a storm comes I know lol