Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 10:45

Plan: Any low-carb
Stats: 280/270/185 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22

BTW, Robin, I couldn't help but notice that all of the thoughtful and caring responses you received to your original post were from women. Lighten up on us, alright?

lllllloooooolllll I love you all so much. You got it !
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 10:56
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDBois
Thanks for the genuine concern. A journal sounds like a good idea !

Ohhhh... I guess we all react differently, but my past has made me sensitive and caring. I'm not abusive towards others. I'm a lover not a fighter. I'm warm, caring, affectionate, and understanding.

I need to be careful not to choose or settle for a woman that is wrong for me, and that's been a challenge since I may unconscientiously be attracting them?! Does that make sense? It's hard to explain.

Ta

It does make sense. Was talking to a friend of mine who grew up with an emotionally absent mother. He was married for 23 years. From what he told me it sounded like his ex was a lot like his mother. I brought this to his attention - he had never realized it before. A lightbulb moment.
I know he has been drawn to elusive women. Women that can't commit. Those that can't be there on the levels he needs.
Subconscious patterns from childhood - hard to break...have a few of my own.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 14:02
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDBois
Prepare yourselves, I'll spit it raw.

When I was a child my mother was a bitch'n control freak, who enjoyed to humiliate and beat me, always trying break my spirit. Even at Christmas she'd watch me like a hawk and if she caught me eating even ONE potato chip or ONE salty snack, she'd scream and punish me in front of all the family. I was constantly humiliated in public.

Tell you this: YES WOMEN can be CRUEL ! Not true that all mothers are loving and nurturing !

Is that why I have absolutely NO CONTROL when I have a bag of chips in front of me ? You dam right ! Open the bag of chips so I can EAT THE WHOLE THING as fast as I can.

I know that every inch of fat on my body is emotional turmoil and a sick revenge that only ends up hurting mE ! It's like: "F..K that Bitch, now that I'm an adult I'll eat whatever I want, when I want and f...K it if I get fat, I don't care CAUSE I'M USED of punishment anyway.

How sad is this potsmokingbeerdrinkingfattie? As sad as it comes.

But wait ! There is light at the end of the tunnel. I finally cut all emotional ties with "the woman who gave birth to me". Since then, I'm crawling out of my "hurt child mind state" and learning to love myself.

I hope that knowing this will help me, cause eating Low Carb seems like a bloody punishment to me.

Anyone else here feel that food is NOT the problem, that childhood trauma is kicker?

AFffff... told you I spit it raw !

Yes...it is raw....as I too can completely relate to what you have gone through. I'm sorry its been so hard for you.

I did a lot of therapy to help me deal with my abusive childhood. I had to....it was literally killing me. I had to also see that it was not just my mother....my dad's silence was his complicity.

I felt as if I was being tortured daily...for many, many years. It was not just about my weight and body...it was everything I did, said or felt and thought. I could not breath without being reprimanded.

All this left me with not a whole lot of trust for men or women!! Therapy gave me insight....time gave me healing. Its not all women, Robin....many men are just as bad....not all men though!!

Reading your story really triggered me....it helped me see I have more work to do....so thanks!!