Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 07:16
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

I'm still using the ACV - I'm going to use it until my next dr. visit, when I get all my labs checked again. I did find that adding a few drops of stevia (I mix 1 TBSP of ACV with 1 cup of water) makes all the difference in the world in the taste. I do rinse with plain water afterwards. My searching on the internet has found ACV to be everything from a "miracle cure" to "hogwash" - my body, my science experiment! I haven't found anything to say that drinking vinegar a few times a day is going to hurt anything, so I'll keep on for now.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 08:59
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I bought the ACV but still haven't had the guts to take it... I will try soon...

It is similar to my grandmother's home remedy which I like better - vinegar mixed with honey...

I like that combo better...
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 10:25

Plan: LCHF/NK
Stats: 196/165.7/145 Female 5' 9"
BF:too much!
Progress: 59%

Rhonda, What have your BG levels been lately? I assume the ACV is still helping? Are you on any meds? I just might give it a try too.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 10:54
Just keep swimming

Hey there, Marcia. I'm on no meds. I was on metformin, which made me incredibly sick to my stomach - we won't even mention the other "bowel" problems - it was awful. I stuck it out for a few weeks and said forget it. It was either take metformin and never leave the house again or....well, you get the picture!

I've had some interesting readings since starting the ACV. My sugars 2 hours after a meal had been running consistently in the 130's to 140's, which was on up to 10-15 grams of carbs in a meal at most - only nonstarchy vegetables. I've had a few isolated 180's-200's, but usually I know exactly what I did to get that (too many hidden carbs at a restaurant or making a bad choice). On the meals where I experimented with taking the ACV right before my meal, I've been getting readings in the 110's. In fact, I just stabbed myself in the finger with a random reading just for you and my sugar was 114. I haven't gotten readings like that since I was diagnosed! Anyway, to me it's worth continuing my little experiment for now.

Korban, you know what they say, grandma knows best (without the honey anyway)!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 11:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 330/318.5/180 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I use ACV for heartburn, acid reflux, or when I can feel the foods in my stomach start using the walls of my stomach as a trampoline!! I love the taste of it but it's not handy to carry around and on the rare occasions I do get heartburn I'm normally not close to home. My health food co-op has liquid ACV in gel caps. Not sure if there's much of a difference in drinking it or using it in gel cap form but it works the same for me and heart burn.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplemom
In fact, I just stabbed myself in the finger with a random reading just for you
Aw c'mon... you really like it don't you??? Actually I DO, but then again I haven't been doing it that long. I always look forward to my next stick just to see how my efforts are paying off. Weird??? Nahhh. Obsessive/compulsive...uhhh, could be?

Thanks for the info and congrats on the experiment. Sure looks like it's having a positive effect! Keep us posted.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 12:11
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Korban, you know what they say, grandma knows best (without the honey anyway)!

Party Pooper.

/smile
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 12:23
Just keep swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflwr1
Aw c'mon... you really like it don't you??? Actually I DO, but then again I haven't been doing it that long. I always look forward to my next stick just to see how my efforts are paying off. Weird??? Nahhh. Obsessive/compulsive...uhhh, could be?

Not exactly!

#24   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 12:34
Just keep swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban
Party Pooper.

/smile

#25   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 13:06

Quote:
Not exactly!

ROFL!!! Maybe it is just me... I loved Sweeney Todd!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 19:32

Stats: 193/122/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Good to see this brought up again, it made the itty bitty light bulb go off in my head. I've been trying to get my A1c's down below a 6 but even with constant weight loss and fairly strict diet & monitoring I wavered in the low 6's for nearly a year and a half. Well my last A1c was (at long last) down to 5.7 but I wasn't sure what to attribute it to. I did take some supplements so I thought that may be it , but I know I'm terrible when it comes to remembering to take them so I really don't think that was it.

What I have done consistantly is...drink my ACV cocktail every evening. Could this be it? I certainly hope so! Since I have it in the evening when DH get's home I don't do a BG check since I rarely eat after having it. DH rarly gets home before 7pm and I like to eat by 4 or 5pm.

BTW..my recipe is 2 tbls ACV, 1/2 tbls baking powder, 2 tbls DaVinci's "Buttered Rum" , and club soda. Tastes just like a cocktail without the alcohol.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 22:46

Plan: raw food / paleo
Stats: 233/172/130 Female 5'1"
BF:

I tried it, because I need to be on Metformin (extremely insulin resistant) but my doc will not give it to me for some reason. So I am on Levemir basal and no rapid as yet. All I had on hand was Heinz apple cider vinegar, but I took the two tablespoons in 6 oz water and it brought my BG to normal. From 10 to 6.5 - then it went to 5.5 - incredible - I had not seen that level for years.

I went and got the Braggs the next day; it tastes much better and is probably better all round. In about 8oz water, it almost tastes like wine. It seems to be more effective taken at once than sipped slowly, but maybe that's me.

I am going to do a better study this week and take measurements with my meter.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 06:07

Plan: Test-Test-Test w/insulin
Stats: 170/145/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:approx 31%
Progress: 100%

Hmmm. I tested the apple cider vinegar with the cloudy stuff from Trader Joes.

It did nothing for my blood sugar and it seemed to irritate my already irritated stomach lining.

Now I'm pretty insulin sensitive and my diabetes is caused by a failure to secrete insulin. So perhaps the ACV is most helpful perhaps for people who secrete insulin but aren't responding to it properly.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 07:04
Just keep swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennette
BTW..my recipe is 2 tbls ACV, 1/2 tbls baking powder, 2 tbls DaVinci's "Buttered Rum" , and club soda. Tastes just like a cocktail without the alcohol.

Thank you for that idea! I'm going to dig out my bottle of DaVinci's buttered rum!
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 15:24

Stats: 193/122/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Thnks Rhonda, Hope you like it.