Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 08:51

Plan: Atkins (89)
Stats: 221/159/150 Female 66
BF:sizes:18W/ 8 /6-4
Progress: 87%
Smile

Thanks Linda,
It's sad that it's taken me this long to get here, but at least I'm here!! I honestly don't think that I would be where I am without the help of the people on this forum.

Melissa
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 13:27

Default 4/1/02

exercise:
20 kicks each leg (Side, front, roundhouse, back heel)
20 punchees each arm
Cleaning house (I’m not sure if that counts or not )
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 14:13

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloKitty
Thanks Linda,
It's sad that it's taken me this long to get here, but at least I'm here!! I honestly don't think that I would be where I am without the help of the people on this forum.

Melissa

Hey Melissa!
I totally agree with you. I find so much comfort and support in this board knowing that there are thousands of others going through some of the same things...
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 23:10

Talking Nothing done today

Ok, I'll admit it, I didn't get any working out done today. I was too busy talking to people I haven't seen in years and making plans. I've got lessons on Wednesdays and classes schedualed for Mon, tues, wed, thurs, and fri nights. I need to get in semi-decent shape before I try to hit class 6 times a week, I guarentee in a month I'll be there (I've got my goal to get to by May 4th!!!!! )

Melissa
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 12:51

Unhappy Terrified

Ok, I've got my first lesson in 2 1/2 hours. I'm so scared, but I'm not as scared as I am about going to class tonight. I don't want to go to class and have NO CLUE what I'm doing. I don't want to make an ass out of myself. <sigh> I know this is bad, but I don't want to look like a fool!!!!! AUGH!!!!!!!!!!

Melissa
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 09:52

Unhappy Bad me

Ok, as I posted in my regualar journal, I ditched class (but was stupid enough to go watch and be "harrassed" by black and brown belts for not actually going to class. I didn't go to my private lesson and couldn't figure out why I couldn't focus, well I had dehydrated myself. Ok, I'm back to "normal" now. Going to Mr. Moore's class tonight (Hoping it's not the Mr. Moore I think it is.......) THere are too many Moores there. I think that I want to go by my maiden name again.... I wonder if I could......
Going to hit the new lists today and finish Short Form 3.
Onward with my day!!!!!

Melissa
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 11:08

BF:

Melissa,

You can do it!!! Go to your class and have confidence in yourself. Life is too short to be afraid and scared..... you can do it! Sending good thoughts your way,
Linda

#23   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 11:35

Red face Afraid and Scared....

Thanks Linda,
You would think that for as long as I have been complaining about wasting the past 4 years of my life that I'd snap out of it sooner!!!
Thanks for the good thoughts too!!!

Melissa
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 13:13

Default 4/4/02

1 hour techniques
Yellow belt (each 6 times)
Orange (6 times each)
Purple (6 times each)
Kicking set 1 twice
short form 2 - 7 or 8 times
long form 1 once
Stance set 1 once
block set 1 twice
1st part of Short form 3 - once

I need to try to piece Short form 3 together (I want to remember it by my next private lesson ) I still want to run through Long 2. I'm not sure I remember it though. Also the new Blue belt list. I'm GOING to class tonight. I feel so much better after working out today. I think that it helps that I'm hydrated today.

Later!!!!!!!

Melissa
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 13:18

BF:
Default Re: 4/4/02

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloKitty
I'm GOING to class tonight.

YEAH!!!! Let me know how it goes. I wish I understood more of your exercising.... I am not very knowledgeable on karate or other forms of it. What exactly do you do? That sounds silly, but I know there are all different kinds of martial arts.....
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 14:37

Smile I'll let you know!!!

Nope, that doesn't sounds silly at all. When I started back in 1995 I had no idea what it was or what I was getting myself into.
I study American Kenpo, which is a street fighting style. The emphasis is upon defense and preservation of self, through maneuvers intended to protect yourself and to place your opponent into a vulnerable position. As far as what we do movemnet wise, it incorporates a different kicks, punches, elbows, stances, etc. It's a very physically demanding sport, more so than I remember!!!! The depth of training has varied by instructor/school. The first school I attended focused mainly on fighting in various enviroments and situations (It wasn't nessarily safe or a good idea, but at the time it helped me get to where I needed to be) They were so intent on winning. Before tournaments I would be told:
Being disqualified is better than coming in 2nd. (Not a very health attitude.)
My current school (and where I was 4 years ago) acknowleges the fighting, but also teachs the concepts behind the movement, the purpose of what we've learned (contact manipulation, marrige of gravity, etc.) and practical application (it's not like the first school "just beat the living hell out of someone". ) They don't want to create killers or bullies, it's more for self-fullfilment and self preservation.
My past experence included competeing and placing in numberous tournaments (fighting and forms), and teaching.
LOL Probably didn't answer your question or gave too much info. All the note writing I've been doing is mushing my brain!

Melissa
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 15:46

Default Calories burned

Out of curiousity I'm trying to get a basic idea of how many calories I burn a day from my activities:
45 minutes kenpo - 684 (I'm assuming that's high intensity, but it doesn't say)
60 minutes kenpo (med intensity) - assuming 400

So that would be 1084 today. I'm going to go check a couple more calculators.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 19:00

Default Calories

Ok, I found 2 other calculators. One stated 418 for 45 minutes and the other was 427 for the same. Both are at moderate intensity. So I'm not sure what to count. I don't know why I'm counting them anyway, but it would be nice to know........

Melissa
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 05:56

Default Class

Went to class last night. Missed class because 1) no one showed up 2) it starts an hour earier on Thursdays (Something important to know..........)
I worked on techniques with a Mr. Moore (no relation )
Still seriously thinking of going by my maiden name..........
Well, got to get ready for work.

Melissa
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 07:27

BF:
Default that sucks!

I am sorry about your class.... after you were all pumped and excited to go!! BUT at least you went. You can't help it if other people didn't show up.

Thanks for the info on American Kenpo (and no it wasn't too much info). It sounds very interesting. Your new school sounds much better than your old one!

Happy Friday!
Linda