Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-17-07, 17:35

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
It made a big difference to my health. I'd recommend you give yourself a couple of weeks totally dairy free just to see if you feel better. I think it tends to mess up my sinuses and give me brain fog and memory problems.

I couldn't agree more. Ever since I have given up dairy except for a little 1/2&1/2 in my coffee and very occasionally cheese, I can BREATHE. I go to bed breathing from both nostrils and wake up the same. Eventually, I'll give it up altogether. I've listened to what my body was/is telling me.

However, I know many who do not appear to be bothered at all by dairy, even consuming it all day long. Yes, perplexing, isn't it?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-17-07, 17:41
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:

Are there any modern examples of hunter gatherer populations with dairy animals?

One thing from Guns, Gems and Steel is that there are only about 14 species of domesticated animals and nearly all of them are found in the Middle-East (where agriculture started) and Europe.

Laps (reindeer) Mongol (horses) Masai (cows) are the ones that spring to mind. Milk, Yoghurt, cheese, blood, meat, clothing, building materials all from their animals. No doubt they eat/ate berries in season too, but basically it's following the animals following the grass. Who needs agriculture?

Btw. I'm one of the ones who isn't affected by dairy of any kind. I avoid fresh milk now because of the carbs, but I avoid any carbs equally. I used to get bloated from eating rice. For me carbs equals bloat. Carbohydrate ferments. Fermentation equals gas. Gas- not good. That said, I think raw dairy is healthier. That's why we keep dairy goats. But I can't comment on wether someone who is sensitive to pasteurized dairy is less likely to be so with raw.

Last edited by kneebrace : Thu, May-17-07 at 17:49.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, May-17-07, 18:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, I doubt raw would help, it's the protein in dairy that I'm sensitive to, casein. So raw or not it is still there. Although there are different types of casein and I think goat casein bothers me less. I just got over a bout of sinus problems that I think goat milk kefir might have aggravated though.... anyway, I don't really want to experiment until my sinuses are really and truly clear.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, May-17-07, 20:00

Plan: post-Pregnancy LC
Stats: 287/283.6/180 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatGood
Dairy is definitely not paleo.
What is your goal by the way, most people switch to Paleo eatting for a reason, and for many that reason is to lose weight.

Some people have adapted to handle dairy better than others. If you can eat dairy without the side effects, then I wouldn't worry about it.
But if your goal is to lose weight and when you eat dairy your weight lose stalls or you gain weight, then I would cut out the dairy.

Good luck to you.

Heh, my weight stalls when I blink. Seriously, I've done many an elimination diet and there is no one (or two, or three) thing(s) that make me stall.

I switched to Paleo from Atkins because it seemed to me that it was a more 'natural' way to eat, ie, Paleo peoples did not drink soda or eat artificial sweeteners. I like real food, and believe that my genetic heritage prefers real food, too.

As for dairy, I have some sensitivities. I stuff up when eating eggs (frequent) or drinking milk/cream, but rarely when I eat hard cheese. Soft cow's milk cheese I don't digest well, but appear to be fine with goat and sheep.

Which reminds me, I don't know if anyone's read Chet Day's fine article on Paleo nutrition on BeyondVeg.com, but I highy recommend it. It's a long article, with a lot to, if you'll pardon the pun, digest.

M

Last edited by Moonrise : Thu, May-17-07 at 20:02. Reason: forgot a bit
  #20   ^
Old Sun, May-20-07, 00:49
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkpetro
I only eat raw dairy, pasturized, homogenized dairy is not a food substance but more like a posion..........even raw dairy is not paleo, but it is the closet form possible

That's like saying that sucking on petroleum is the closest thing to driving.

Milk is for baby cows. MEAT is for people. OK?
  #21   ^
Old Sun, May-20-07, 10:05
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Which reminds me, I don't know if anyone's read Chet Day's fine article on Paleo nutrition on BeyondVeg.com, but I highy recommend it. It's a long article, with a lot to, if you'll pardon the pun, digest.

I'm reading that now! It's great to see something in a timeline like that.

Oh wow! The first part before that is the author's shift from a raw, vegan diet.

Quote:
News of long-time vegetarians abandoning the diet due to failure to thrive. In the meantime, though, I happened to hear from a hatha yoga teacher I was acquainted with who taught internationally and was well-known in the yoga community both in the U.S. and abroad in the '70s and early '80s, who, along with his significant other, had been vegetarian for about 17 years. To my amazement, he told me in response to my bragging about my raw-food diet that he and his partner had re-introduced some flesh foods to their diet a few years previously after some years of going downhill on their vegetarian diets, and it had resulted in a significant upswing in their health. He also noted that a number of their vegetarian friends in the yoga community had run the same gamut of deteriorating health after 10-15 years as vegetarians since the '70s era.

Once again, of course, I pooh-poohed all this to myself because they obviously weren't "Hygienist" vegetarians and none of their friends probably were either. You know the line of thinking: If it ain't Hygienic vegetarianism, by golly, we'll just discount the results as completely irrelevant! If there's even one iota of difference between their brand of vegetarianism and ours, well then, out the window with all the results!

But it did get me thinking, because this was a man of considerable intellect as well as a person of integrity whom I respected more than perhaps anyone else I knew.

Gradual personal health decline on vegan diet. And then a few months after that, I began noticing I was having almost continual semi-diarrhea on my raw-food diet and could not seem to make well-formed stools. I was not sleeping well, my stamina was sub-par both during daily tasks and exercise, which was of concern to me after having gotten back into distance running again, and so real doubts began creeping in. It was around this time I finally made that trip to the university library.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sun, May-20-07 at 10:25.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, May-20-07, 10:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid
That's like saying that sucking on petroleum is the closest thing to driving.

Milk is for baby cows. MEAT is for people. OK?

Hi Hybrid. You been gone way too long, man.

I essentially feel the same as you do, although your colorful analogies are better than mine. I always have this image of trying to milk a wild animal, and I just don't think it would be worth it.

I still have a little 1/2 & 1/2 and a little cheese now and again, though progressively less and less. I'll be catching and eating small furry animals (fur and all) in no time!
  #23   ^
Old Sun, May-20-07, 11:56

BF:

Quote:
I'm reading that now! It's great to see something in a timeline like that.

Oh wow! The first part before that is the author's shift from a raw, vegan diet.

Interesting NancyLC. I thought I had read that, but apparently hadn't! (Maybe I've confused it with something else?) Either way, I'm going back to (re)read it.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, May-20-07, 15:50
Experimenter

BF:

Sorry, I'm blathering a lot kind of thinking through some of these things for myself.
Hmmm... still reading this thing but I did find this:
http://www.beyondveg.com/nicholson-...terview2e.shtml
Quote:
Okay, let's move on to the hunter-gatherers you mentioned earlier. I've heard that while some tribes may have low rates of chronic degenerative disease, others don't, and may also suffer higher rates of infection than we do in the West.

This is true. Not all "hunter-gatherer" tribes of modern times eat diets in line with Paleolithic norms. Aspects of their diets and/or lifestyle can be harmful just as modern-day industrial diets can be. When using these people as comparative models, it's important to remember they are not carbon copies of Paleolithic-era hunter-gatherers.[157] They can be suggestive (the best living examples we have), but they are a mixed bag as "models" for behavior, and it is up to us to keep our thinking caps on.

We've already mentioned the Eskimos above as less-than-exemplary models. Another example is the Masai tribe of Africa who are really more pastoralists (animal herders) than hunter-gatherers. They have low cholesterol levels ranging from 115 to 145,[158] yet autopsies have shown considerable atherosclerosis.[159] Why? Maybe because they deviate from the Paleolithic norm of 20-25% fat intake due to their pastoralist lifestyle by eating a 73% fat diet that includes large amounts of milk from animals in addition to meat and blood.*[160] Our bodies do have certain limits.

Another good, but unrelated point:
Quote:
Animals in the wild on natural diets are not disease-free. Contrary to popular Hygienic myth, animals in the wild eating natural diets in a natural environment are not disease-free, and large infectious viral and bacterial plagues in the past and present among wild animal populations are known to have occurred. (To cite one example, rinderpest plagues in the African Serengeti occurred in the 1890s and again around 1930, 1960, and 1982 among buffalo, kudu, eland, and wildebeest.[165])

It becomes obvious when you look into studies of wild animals that natural diet combined with living in natural conditions is no guarantee of freedom from disease and/or infection. Chimpanzees, our closest living animal relatives, for instance, can and do suffer bouts in the wild from a spectrum of ailments very similar to those observed in human beings: including pneumonia and other respiratory infections (which occur more often during the cold and rainy season), polio, abscesses, rashes, parasites, diarrhea, even hemorrhoids on occasion.[166] Signs of infectious disease in the fossil record have also been detected in remains as far back as the dinosaur-age, as have signs of immune system mechanisms to combat them.[167]

Lest we think that paleo is superior to modern practices in everything. It isn't.

Read this guys entire journey through the raw foodist/vegan thing and you see some of the same logic mistakes people make about that being done here too. If you're sick it is your fault for not adhering closely enough, the diet is perfect and you shouldn't be sick. If you're sick you're "detoxing". All things that people on any sort of diet use as reasoning.

I know this won't be a popular opinion but I think this applies to the raw milk thing too. The reasoning is that processed milk isn't good for us because it is processed but raw milk is because it is natural. But natural doesn't necessarily mean something is good, there are loads of natural things that are quite very bad for us. I think we all realize that. Natural milk is good for the baby critter it was meant for, but is it good for humans? Yes, if the option is starvation or nutrients lacking in the diet. The real question is, is it optimal or sub-optimal in the modern human diet in the context most of us are living in? Here's where I think it gets foofy and hard to answer because we don't have a lot of data backed up by good science. You have to test it out in your body. Is your body ok with it or does it give you increased mucous, sinus infections, allergies, IBS or acne?

But to do this we need to have a point of reference where we think we're eating good foods that don't compromise our health. That's where I think an elimination diet comes in handy and having a relatively stable base point to make the comparison. No IBS, no sinus symptoms, no chronic stuffy nose, no strange rashes, no brain fog.

Personally I'm still striving to get to that point. It's really hard because I have to battle the call of the vending machine.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, May-20-07, 16:19

BF:

Quote:
Sorry, I'm blathering a lot kind of thinking through some of these things for myself.
Hmmm... still reading this thing but I did find this:
http://www.beyondveg.com/nicholson-...terview2e.shtml

Another good, but unrelated point:

Lest we think that paleo is superior to modern practices in everything. It isn't....

Personally I'm still striving to get to that point. It's really hard because I have to battle the call of the vending machine.

This is facinating stuff Nancy. I lean toward Paleo way of eating, realizing that I'll NEVER get there, but striving for an approximation that will work for me. And to think that everything will be somehow "better" for us as it is more paleo-ish, is not necessarily true from my POV. We may have the genes of a former "-lith" but we do not live in that environment - no one on earth does any more. I like the neolith that I am in that I can recognize this "conundrum" so-to-speak, and thrive.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, May-21-07, 06:24

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProteusOne
However, I know many who do not appear to be bothered at all by dairy, even consuming it all day long.

We so easily confuse mind and body needs, voluntarily can’t tell the one from another.

Why don’t these “many” eliminate dairy for a month? And only then declare.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, May-21-07, 07:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos
We so easily confuse mind and body needs, voluntarily can’t tell the one from another.

Why don’t these “many” eliminate dairy for a month? And only then declare.

Well, that's their choice. It's a good recommendation, but very unlikely since the cattle/dairy industries have been allowed to set policy in this country. Essentially, I've given up on trying to overturn anyone's dietary beliefs, and can only hope to set a good example instead. If asked, I'll tell. Otherwise, they are on their own. I've seen some of the most intelligent people balk candidly at the idea of "evolutionary eating" - so much so that I'm convinced that it has nothing to do with intelligence at all. It's an emotional thing. Like politics. -- One may get a response like "You're trying to take away my _____________ (insert emotional need here, like milk, icecream, french fries, candy, bread, guns, etc.)
  #28   ^
Old Mon, May-21-07, 07:47

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

Proteus, in no case did I mean conversion (learnt quite well Newton’s third law ), rather pointed out ‘I eat dairy-it-doesn’t- bother me-at-all’ delusion….…of passion.

No doubt, setting an example is the only win-win option.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, May-21-07, 08:42
Experimenter

BF:

Eating is extremely emotional to most people. The thought of permanently giving up a food is terribly traumatic. I know it was for me. Giving up an entire group of them, like dairy, was especially.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, May-21-07, 10:29

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
The reasoning is that processed milk isn't good for us because it is processed but raw milk is because it is natural.

I thought it was because pasturizing destroys some of the enzymes naturally in the milk that would aid in digestion?

I had a little incident with a raspberry mousse this weekend. I think it was actually good enough to make up for the allergy attack I'm having this morning.