Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-06, 14:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/159/186 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 127%

Thanks everyone! I just got back from Curves and the lady said she would give me a week to try it out before I joined. If I'm not in too much pain after a week, I'll make that commitment for a year. I have bone spurs on the back of both heels that are the size of half an egg so I'm glad I can at least try Curves first.
When I told the lady that worked there I had lost almost 50 pounds since May 1st, she just jumped up out of her seat and told me how great that was, yada yada..... that was enough to sell me, lol! She was really nice and I needed to hear that excitement in her voice.
We do have a few health clubs in our area, I might join one of those after a year or so, right now I think Curves would be the best, for me at least.
Thanks again for all the help, I could not do Atkins if it were not for all of you!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-06, 14:38

Stats: 212/194/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Best of Luck with curves. Is there anything besides a year package you can sign up for? I dont know you and your personal preference, I just would hate to be stuck into something for a year. Either way you go, best of luck with your toning and weightloss!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-06, 14:50

Stats: 286/159/186 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 127%

The lady only told me I had to sign up for a year. It was $79.00 to join and then like $30.00 a month. I think it should be a 6 month contract, I'll ask if I can do that... it wouldnt hurt to ask Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinc
Best of Luck with curves. Is there anything besides a year package you can sign up for? I dont know you and your personal preference, I just would hate to be stuck into something for a year. Either way you go, best of luck with your toning and weightloss!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-06, 16:53
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo
I have been going to Curves for 2 and 1/2 years and have been successful at weight loss because of exercize and Atkins.At my Curves we have women of all sizes, young and old.It is not boring, and I have made friends there. I have checked out other programs and gyms and find them to be too costly.
Too costly? Where I live I can have access to any 24 Hour Fitness in the country for only $3 more than I paid at Curves. Curves was $39 a month with a 1 year contract, $49 a month without the contract, and 24 Hour is $42 a month without the contract.

Last edited by Newbirth : Mon, Aug-21-06 at 16:59.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-06, 16:54
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee-Ma
The lady only told me I had to sign up for a year. It was $79.00 to join and then like $30.00 a month. I think it should be a 6 month contract, I'll ask if I can do that... it wouldnt hurt to ask Thanks!
Most - for an extra fee - will let you do month to month.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-06, 01:21

Plan: LCHF to appetite
Stats: 210/206/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Lots!
Progress: 9%

I pay $29 a month for Curves with a one-year commitment (which I've already passed). They will let you go month-to-month typically for $39 a month. I think for a place to start, it's a reasonable fee.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-06, 06:14

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 149/138/132 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 65%

I belong to an all ladies fit club Slim Time Spa, they have curves machines, plus all the other weight machines, treadmills, bicycles, reclining bicycles, all kinds of machinery, aerobics classes all day and all evening long. Anything you can think of including pilates and belly dancing. We have tanning beds, hot steam room, whirlpool and I only pay 25 a month! Guess I'm pretty darned lucky!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-06, 11:06

Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

Personally, I think you will get more out of a gym membership. More variety and a better workout, overall. I know I did.

Just be wary about signing a contract.

I went to a gym last year that had three-month memberships... very nice! I loved the diversity of chosing what I wanted to do. Plus, if you cannot commit or lose interest, not much money lost.

I attempted to join another gym last month, after moving. Good grief!! These folks wanted a 3 year contract at $30/month. For that price, I could buy my own treadmill and weights and STAY HOME!

Soooo, still not exercising, but working on buying a treadmill in another month or so. I already have weights and an exercise ball for my flabby abs...

Good luck with whatever works best for you. You won't know unless you try.

Bon
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-06, 13:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 194/180.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

I belong to Curves and love it! Please understand that Curves is a franchised business, so each location is a bit different. Granted they all use the same 30 mins circuit, but the feeling and clientele are all very different. The one that I go to alot is actually VERY diverse. We have young college kids up to a 70 year old woman. All, different sizes.
The thing that I love the most about my main location is the women. We show up at the same time everyday and chit chat while doing the circuit. So we're all on the "recovery" station at the same time. I jog those so it helps me monitor my rate. This bonding staves off the boredom of the same 'ole circuit
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-06, 10:21
Registered Member

Stats: 172/141/128 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Newbirth respnded to my statement that I thought other programs were to costly and she compared to 24 hour fitness. I checked the 24 Hr Fitness here and it is
Initiation fee $49.00
Processing fee $79.99
Monthly dues $42.99
This is in San Jose, Ca
I can go to any Curves in the country , not 24 hrs a day but mine opens at 6AM.and I am not interested in going at midnite.I feel very comfortable at Curves where we have members of every age and size.Curves has done me a lot of good, exercizing is like dieting , do what works for you.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-06, 16:47
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo
Newbirth respnded to my statement that I thought other programs were to costly and she compared to 24 hour fitness. I checked the 24 Hr Fitness here and it is
Initiation fee $49.00
Processing fee $79.99
Monthly dues $42.99
This is in San Jose, Ca
I can go to any Curves in the country , not 24 hrs a day but mine opens at 6AM.and I am not interested in going at midnite.I feel very comfortable at Curves where we have members of every age and size.Curves has done me a lot of good, exercizing is like dieting , do what works for you.
My initiation fee was higher than that, but I got 4 free sessions of personal training with it.

Also, Curves had an $80 initition fee, and then $39.99 a month. They closed at 1 p.m. and I had to hustle to get in there (I work second shift). At 24 Hour (I go to the one in downtown Oakland) I can stay as long as I want; I usually leave about 1:45 pm. so I can get to work.

I can go to any 24 Hour Fitness in the country. The one club only membership is a little cheaper, but I pay the extra $3 and I can go to any club. I sometimes go to the one in San Leandro because they have a pool. All clubs have a hot tub, steam room, and sauna as well.

Most importantly, I can adjust the equipment. I started with 8 pound arm curls; now I'm up to 20. I started with the the weight of the leg press; now I add 50 pounds to that. I started with 45 pounds on the calf raise; now I do 90.

Curves is a good place to start, but I just couldn't advance past a certain point.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-06, 09:22
Registered Member

Stats: 172/141/128 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Intersting that we are so close, Oakland and San Jose and my nephew lives in San Leandro. My daughter in law has family all over the East Bay.I am going to stick with Curves for now I find it suits my purpose. One of these days I am going to check out the Y, by the way, my son goes mto 24 Hr Fitness and pays $19 a month, but he has been a member for a long time.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-06, 14:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 194/180.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

I hear that when purchasing ANY club/gym membership, you should negotiate like buying a car!!
That's why there are so many different prices that people are paying as there are people.
Of course, I learned this the hard way with 24 hour fitness I got screwed and found out when someone informed my how they got their low payment.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-06, 17:13
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgo1
I hear that when purchasing ANY club/gym membership, you should negotiate like buying a car!!
That's why there are so many different prices that people are paying as there are people.
Of course, I learned this the hard way with 24 hour fitness I got screwed and found out when someone informed my how they got their low payment.
Well, they had an offer where I could pay 3 years in advance and get a rediculously low rate, but I don't have that kind of money laying around. Otherwise I would have done it.

I checked out the Y but they wanted $60 a month and Club One wanted $80 a month, both of which were outside the budget I'd set.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-06, 17:52

Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn2932
I belong to an all ladies fit club Slim Time Spa, they have curves machines, plus all the other weight machines, treadmills, bicycles, reclining bicycles, all kinds of machinery, aerobics classes all day and all evening long. Anything you can think of including pilates and belly dancing. We have tanning beds, hot steam room, whirlpool and I only pay 25 a month! Guess I'm pretty darned lucky!

If you don't mind me asking, what town in Central Pa is your SlimTime? I'm in Central PA as well, and that sounds pretty nice! Is Slim Time a chain?