Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 15:37

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Much as I'd like to think my children are little geniuses, none of them talked at six months. I did extended breastfeeding on all of them.

You've got to eat enough, or your body will go into starvation mode. I lost the weight while eating a lot of calories, but very few carbs. Make sure you are getting enough rest. Lack of sleep can push insulin levels through the roof, eve if you are not eating many carbs.

Caffeine is not banned either for breastfeeding or low carbing. Occasionally a baby may react badly to it, but most don't seem to be bothered. And very few people have a problem with caffeine in tea or coffee, the sweeteners in diet colas are a much bigger problem. Most bodybuilders who do low carb take pretty hefty caffeine supplements without problems.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 21:54

Plan: Paleoish
Stats: 218/175/155 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

Helen, thanks for that info! Sleep, or lack of, is a BIG problem for me! I didn't get much last night in fact and my darling hubby got up and did potty duty this morning at 6.30 and let me sleep in. Unfortunately Isabella wanted some feeds so the sleep in was broken sleep too!
Quote:
You've got to eat enough, or your body will go into starvation mode. I lost the weight while eating a lot of calories, but very few carbs.

I think you are right! I was thinking about this on the weekend and I don't think I am eating enough in my effort to avoid excess carbs. I remember reading that obsessing about food can also put your insulin up so thinking I'm hungry and dont know what to eat can't help!
Helen, how long did you breastfeed each of your children? Isabella is 18 1/2 months and not looking like stopping anytime soon. To be honest I love the bond we have and will miss it when she stops. On Saturday she had a fall from a chair onto tiles and had a big egg on her head. The only thing that would calm her was a feed! I can't imagine how Mums not feeding cope when trying to calm a child!!
I am really happy to report that I have lost 700grams (1 1/2 lbs) this week. Not as much as I would have previously on a LC diet but then again, the only exercising I'm doing at the moment is running around after my daughter!!
Suzanne
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 02:53

BF:
Progress:

Congratulations. Any weight loss is a good deal. Don't worry because you've done better in the past, you've got more important things to concentrate on now.

My girls weaned at two, four and five years of age. I even ended up tandem nursing for a while. It sounds horrific, but in fact it was a lot easier than the alternative. The great advantage of nursing older children is that they have better nursing manners. None of this dropping everything to feed the baby, an older child can wait until you get home and get comfortable.

As you said, you can't beat it if things go wrong. I've been on delayed flights etc where I seemed to be the only one who didn't have a screaming toddler on her hands. I felt like offering to nurse some of the babies as well!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 07:32

BF:

Wow Helen, that is a fantastic effort! You would definitely understand that it takes it out of you!
Suzanne
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 11:38

BF:
Progress:

Hey, I had my priorities straight. I don't think I've washed a window since that last time I was about to go into labour. As far as I was concerned, my job was feeding the babies, feeding me, and doing the minimum to keep everyone alive. Anything extra could be someone else's job.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 16:43

BF:

Mmmm, I feel better about not cleaning my windows for over 18 months then!!LOL!
Suzanne
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 18:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/238/150 Female 60 inches
BF:Too much
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melberry
Matrix, Helen didn't actually say her baby was 6 months - just that in a 6 month period she lost 45lb! LOL!! Congratulations though on doing what's best for your DS. I agree with your thoughts completely. I've been doing a bit of research and have come to the conclusion that one of the reasons us breastfeeders hang onto so much of our fat is because we aren't eating enough! I've decided that I'm going to have to make a conscious effort to increase my protein consumption.
Also, I am taking extra omega 3 supplements a day. I've found in the past that increasing my Omega 3 dramatically increased my milk production. Maybe that will help Locoshimzy.

Let me know how things go with your uptake in protein. I'll be nursing my little one in a short time here so I am very curious to know what others have been going through with nursing and keeping their health in check and/or being able to lose weight whilst nursing. Thanks for all your input
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-06, 10:09

BF:
Progress:

I don't know if this is going to freak anyone out, but even though I weaned around nine months ago, I still have milk!!!

I was really bored last night, so I decided to practise what I remembered of expressing, and found that I actually had milk. Not much, but any milk means that it would take very little to re-establish my supply.

If nothing else, it shows that you can take breaks from breastfeeding and go back to it again.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-06, 11:07

Plan: my own
Stats: 185/160/135 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 50%

Wow, Helen H-so impressed with your extended nursing. Thanks for the info on caffeine, it was reassuring to me. I have started to eat more protein and salads and feel leaner, don't know if I have lost because I don't have a scale (on purpose).
love this thread
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 04:56

BF:

Wow! Who would have thought after 9 months! You're not pregnant again are you?! That can do it I hear.
Suzanne
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 14:08

BF:
Progress:

Definitely not pregnant. After the third baby, I had him spayed.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 18:13
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen H
Definitely not pregnant. After the third baby, I had him spayed.

I had DH spayed too after baby number 3. Baby number 4 came along 2 years later...
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 13:06

BF:
Progress:

Are you trying to give me a heart attack????
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-06, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/238/150 Female 60 inches
BF:Too much
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by locoshimzy

I know this question has probably been asked a million times but I've seen a wide range of answers and wondering if a) anyone followed the induction phase of Atkins while nursing and b) is this affecting your milk supply

If it was affecting your milk supply how many calories were you eating and do you think that that in itself contributed to the low milk supply?

Babyboo is almost here and I'm going to be nursing.

So far this pregnancy I've done really well - not gaining large amts of weight .. but I've gained nonetheless (18lbs thus far).

My question is: Can you be more strict with low carbing while breastfeeding then when your pregnant? (such as eating 60grams carbs during pregnancy but being able to eat 20 grams while breastfeeding?)

If you had success low carbing (such as 20 or 30 grams of carbs daily and still successfully nursing) how many calories were you eating? Were you active during this time? How often were you active? Were cravings much worse while low carbing and nursing or did you find the high fats and proteins kept that in check?

Thanks in advance!

I just wanted to let everyone know, My baby girl is 2 weeks old and I have been lowcarbing at 45-60 grams carbs a day. I actually have an oversupply of milk as yet and quite a strong let down... we'll see what happens as time goes on. I'll let you all know

I am at my prepregnancy weight again. I didnt gain mass amounts about 38 lbs but have lost that since baby was born. I drink tons of water too (well for me) 64 oz plus.

ETA: Madison was back at her birth weight by one week old and is steadily gaining. She sleeps in 4 hours stretches at night and nurses like a champ

Last edited by locoshimzy : Thu, Aug-17-06 at 12:01. Reason: Adding
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 08:56

BF:
Progress:

Congratulations to both you and your baby. And I'm incredibly impressed that you can type with a two week old nursling. What's your secret?