Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 15:20
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I stumbled onto this thread too late, it seems.

I just got done smoke/cooking a batch of homemade sausage on my gas grill. I make a little foil packet of slightly damp apple wood chips and put it on the heat plate (this is a little cheap tabletop grill, not the big one with lava rocks) and let it start smoking before I put the meat in.

I'm trying to down-size in hopes of selling my house and moving, or I'd be out there trying to put a smoker together!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 15:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I had a little steel box you can put chips in for my grill. But the problem is, grills are too hot to be proper smokers. AB's pork shoulder takes something like 12 hours to cook! Although you can cheat and just smoke it for 4 and finish it off in the oven.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 17:16
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I used to have a charcoal-fired smoker that had a pan of water to help moderate the temperature and kee the meat moist. It was the BEST thing ever, IMO. I'd gotten it for about $30 at WallyWorld years ago. Unfortunately, I loaned it out. Big mistake. It's goooonnneee.

With the full-sized gas grill, I did have pretty good luck with indirect-heat cooking with the smoke packet on the lava rocks over the lit burner, and the food on the top shelf on the opposite side. I even had some mesquite-impregnated lava rocks, but I like the applewood flavor a lot better.

I get nostalgic for the old days at Grandpa's farm (where I got my sausage recipe) where he had an old stone outbuilding with a rusted-out woodburning stove in the middle of the room

Every fall, after they got their deer, the kitchen would be an assembly line of griding, seasoning, stuffing... then all the rings of sausage would be hung in that building on metal poles up in the rafters.

For two or three days, the men would keep vigil, making sure that thin line of smoke kept pouring out of the cracks under the eaves, and every time Grandpa went out to stoke the stove, my sister and I would race to be the first to get to him... the smell of the sausage and smoke was thick in the folds of his coat, and we never knew when he would have declared it "done" and brought some back in the house!

It was wrapped, one or two rings to a pack, and frozen. Whenever I get lonely for Grandma and Grandpa, I'll do my best to improvise a batch, and even though it loses a lot in the translation, it brings it all back.

OOPS!
/threadjack

#19   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 19:10
Experimenter

BF:

Sounds like great memories!
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-06, 09:13
Experimenter

BF:

I've got the Pulled Pork in the smoker this morning.

I tested my hot plate and it simmered water fine. I put it back in, on top of a brick and it heated the smoker up to almost 400. I'm thinking that perhaps the power cord was crimped or something before.

But with the wood chips on top and it loaded with pork roast it's not even getting to 200 now. Hmmmm....
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-06, 19:24
Experimenter

BF:

Report on the pulled pork: Fabulous! Wow, that is awesome. My only issue was, I forgot to brine it! Still tastes incredible.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 02:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Report on the pulled pork: Fabulous! Wow, that is awesome. My only issue was, I forgot to brine it! Still tastes incredible.

Well, THAT's good news! I wanted to know if I could skip the brining altogether -- and it seems that I can...Thanks, Nance!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 08:33
Experimenter

BF:

Sure, Jude! Any time you need something forgotten, just ask me. I might forget to forget though.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 19:35
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

I saw this the other day and want to try it....

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/sho...2245800,00.html
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 20:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSherry
I saw this the other day and want to try it....

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/sho...2245800,00.html

The Good Eats Custom Corrugated Vapor Colloid Applicator (Cardboard Box Smoker)

Oh, yeah. We've been talking about ceramic pots and clean metal garbage cans, pretty much all set up the same way (this whole thing started with a discussion about Alton's homebuilt smoker, the one made of pots...) but a cardboard box? Wonder how many times you can use it...? or if it stands up to rain on my deck?

#26   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 03:23
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

heehee yeah I wonder.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 09:11
Experimenter

BF:

Gotta love the name of that there... vapor collector.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 09:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Okay, I'm doing a brisket today on my ceramic improvised smoker. Like others, I'm having heat problems -- I can only get about 160 degrees out of my hot plate. I chose a 3.6 pound small brisket to improvise on. Does anyone have experience smoking it to start, then baking it to finish?

Also, did anyone find a hotplate capable of reaching and sustaining 200 degrees, or more?

I did an experiment. With the meat thermometer on the top of the second pot, it reached 130 degrees at max. I moved it inside on the grill with the brisket, and capped the smoker with a plate, and it got to 160.

That brisket is small enough to try on my Cameron's indoor smoker, but I didn't really want to do it there. I'm fired up to make this work!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-06, 21:41

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default Some smokin' pics...

Here are a few pics from this weekend...

This was the finished product...

As it started...

The big red egg.

I had issues with temperatures staying too low. I could not get it to 200 degrees consistently. Still, the brisket came out a little tangy and extremely tender. I liked it, but think I need a less intense wood than hickory next time, if I have to go as long as I had to with this one. This was only 3.65 pounds, so I could see it being more difficult to smoke a larger cut of any kind.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-06, 12:25

Stats: 255/197/145 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

If you plan on smoking a lot, buy a Cookshack Smoker. They're a bit pricey, but basically are "set it and forget it", and built to last a lifetime.

www.cookshack.com

I've used mine for a quite a while, and its been the best investment I've ever made. A collection of my efforts are detailed here: www.lamaine.com/bbq/