Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-06, 17:54
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%
Default Eggnog! (not just for the holidays anymore!)

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Meg!

After ladling off the cream in my two gallons of raw milk that I got yesterday, I started using the raw milk (first time for me). Appropriately, I made eggnog! One of my all time favorite drinks! I put 4 raw egg yolks into the blender, then added about 2 cups of raw milk, then about a tsp of raw honey and a couple tsps of organic maple syrup, and a few dashes of nutmeg. Blended on high for about 30 secs and WOW! This stuff is fantastic! I was "cheating" through this past holiday season with eggnog all the time! BUT... had I been doing this eggnog, it would have actually been healthy stuff! It was by no means as rich and thick as the commercial junk, but it still tasted divine! I would have loved to use the cream, but I am culturing/fermenting 2 pint mason jars of cream I got from the two gallons of raw milk. And, I used quite a bit of the cream in my morning coffee. I am going to make some butter tomorrow! Is the trick in making this eggnog thicker just using more egg yolks and less milk? I have lots of raw milk left to try other things, like smoothies with fruit!

So... another recipe :

Eggnog

1 cup raw milk/cream
4 raw egg yolks
2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp raw honey
1 tsp organic maple syrup

blend well and enjoy!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Sun, Feb-05-06 at 17:17.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-06, 21:21
Registered Member

Default Cinnamon Apple Smoothie (revised)

Cinnamon Apple Smoothie

4 large ice cubes
1/2 cup raw milk
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
2 raw egg yolks
1/2 tsp raw honey
1/2 tsp organic maple syrup
1/4 tsp organic vanilla extract
1/2 apple
2 tbsp cinnamon

blend well and enjoy!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Sun, Feb-05-06 at 17:14.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 00:52
Registered Member

Default More Smoothies!

Here are some more smoothies that I made up!

They taste good, and have good things for your bod! Like coconut milk & oil, raw eggs, raw milk, raw honey, and fresh fruit! Need this stuff everyday! Of course, for the die hard paleo, you can simply omit the milk (and the eggnog recipe).

Peach Pineapple Banana Smoothie

4 large ice cubes
1/2 cup raw milk
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 raw eggs
1/2 tsp raw honey
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1/2 banana
1/2 peach
1/2 cup pineapple chunks (with juice)

blend well and enjoy!

Orange Pineapple Banana Smoothie

4 large ice cubes
1/2 cup raw milk
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 raw eggs
1/2 tsp raw honey
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1/2 banana
1/2 orange (check for seeds!)
1/2 cup pineapple chunks (with juice)

blend well and enjoy!

Strawberry Banana Smoothie

4 large ice cubes
1/2 cup raw milk
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 raw eggs
1/2 tsp raw honey
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1/2 banana
1/2 cup strawberries

blend well and enjoy!

Blueberry Banana Smoothie

4 large ice cubes
1/2 cup raw milk
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 raw eggs
1/2 tsp raw honey
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1/2 banana
1/2 cup blueberries

blend well and enjoy!

Cherry Banana Smoothie

4 large ice cubes
1/2 cup raw milk
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 raw eggs
1/2 tsp raw honey
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1/2 banana
1/2 cup cherries (check for pits!)

blend well and enjoy!

Cinnamon Apple Smoothie

4 large ice cubes
1/2 cup raw milk
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 raw eggs
1/2 tsp raw honey
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp organic vanilla extract
1/2 apple
2 tbsp cinnamon

blend well and enjoy!

Eggnog

1 cup raw milk/cream
4 raw egg yolks
2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp raw honey
1 tsp maple syrup

blend well and enjoy!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Sun, Feb-05-06 at 22:24.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 01:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/182/168 Male 70 inches
BF:BMI 28.4/26.1/24.1
Progress: 53%

Mouth-watering stuff there Paleodeano

Could you please clarify what you mean by raw milk. Is this fresh, unpasteurised cows milk?

I'm wondering what the best low carb alternative is, if any.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 01:50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpin'
Mouth-watering stuff there Paleodeano

Could you please clarify what you mean by raw milk. Is this fresh, unpasteurised cows milk?

I'm wondering what the best low carb alternative is, if any.
Raw milk... straight from the cow... no messing with it. Accept no substitutes!

There is no 'alternative' to drinking down some good carbs!... along with some good protein, fat, and nutrients!

Read on!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Sun, Feb-05-06 at 15:07.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 17:28
Registered Member

Well, I have another smoothie. I also modified my "stock" and have been blending for about 60 seconds. This is making THICK SHAKES! I don't know if it is because I am blending for so long... or it is the 3 egg yolks I am now using. I modified the Eggnog recipe to contain 6 egg yolks. I think that will make it much more thick... but, again, I will blend it for about 60 seconds and see. Hope hope! I LOVE eggnog!

BTW... I found an easy way to get the yolks separated from the whites, while at the same time checking the egg yolks out so as to make sure they look pretty "clean". You wash off the shell in warm running water and scrub them with your hands to remove bacteria, etc. Then, break them and dump into one of your hands. If you just gently roll the egg yolk around on your hand, and switch hands back and forth, you can inspect the egg yolk to make sure it looks good, and that the egg whites are nice (as they fall through your fingers and down the drain). The egg whites should be gel like and the yolks should never break. You can also pull that disgusting white stuff off of the yolk with no problem. If the egg yolk holds up to this, you will have removed everything except the yolk, and be pretty assured you have healthy eggs. I have been purchasing brown eggs for $1.19 a dozen from the grocery store. They are from Texas, and I am sure they are factory-farmed, but figure they may be a bit healthier than the white eggs. The egg shells seem to be thicker (which is a good sign). I have not gotten sick at all from eating lots and lots of these egg yolks over the last few days. Does anyone think I am taking a huge risk?

Tropical Smoothie

4 ice cubes
1/2 cup raw milk
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp coconut oil
3 raw eggs
1/2 tsp raw honey
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1/2 banana
1/4 cup pineapple chunks (with juice)
1 mango

blend well and enjoy!

Eggnog

1 cup raw milk/cream
6 raw egg yolks
2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp raw honey
1 tsp maple syrup

blend well and enjoy!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Wed, Feb-08-06 at 17:48.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 21:59
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelyjiggy
Hi Dean - Yes, you most certainly need a juicer for the veggies. When I was a neophyte I threw raw veggies in a blender, only to find out they made vegetable sludge. Ick.

It's the difference between orange juice and an orange smoothie - the texture is different. I've never had a vegetable smoothie and I'm not really into experimenting. :-)

I got a great juicer for $50 on eBay - the Juiceman Juicer Jr.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Juiceman-Jr-Jui...1QQcmdZViewItem

I personally don't like pulp. This particular juicer (if it works right) makes pulp-free juice. I'm not a distributor, just a satisfied customer. I've tried other juicers, and for the amount that I juice (1-4x/wk) this works great.

Well, here is a smoothie that someone on the NT listserve suggested... I modified it a bit (removing soy stuff). Don't know what to call it, but it surprisingly tastes pretty good... but, it could use some tweaking. My 40oz 500-watt Osterizer turned this all into a smoooooth shake! Love this blender. Which goes to show that you DON'T need a "juicer" for veggies. Don't the juicers "strip" the veggies of their fiber (and other nutrients)? Don't want to do that!

Fruits & Veggies & Nuts Smoothie

6 ice cubes
2 raw egg yolks
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup shredded rainbow chard
1/4 cup shredded chinese napa cabbage
4 broccoli crowns
4 baby carrots
1 peach
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
6 walnut halves
3 brazil nuts
1/2 tsp raw honey
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg

Does anyone have suggestions of really healthy stuff to throw into smoothies? Stuff that would be very healthy to consume everyday. I am into experimenting with these concoctions in a BIG way. So, bring on the ingredients, and I will give 'em a try!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 14:57

Plan: VLC
Stats: 234/139/152 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Did the nuts chop/crush well in the blender?
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 18:41
Registered Member

Everything got very smooth. There are no particles of any kind. The carrots, broccoli, honey, nuts, blueberries, everything is pulverized into a nice smooth smoothie. Even the cabbage and chard. This blender is GREAT! I did blend for about 60 seconds to make sure everything got blended and mixed well. I always make enough to fill two pint size mason jars (and a bit to taste). I just put these in the fridge and drink one for breakfast. I was simply experimenting to find out what this blender will do. It is an Osterizer 500-watt blender. I picked it up at Target for $48 bucks. It just has one switch on the front. If you hold the switch down, you can pulse (which is good to get things going... like if you have hard pieces of carrots or something, then you flip the switch up and it stays in that position). It really screams. It is a bit loud, but not really that bad. The blades are sharp and are angled just right. The design of the thick glass 40oz (5 cup) jar is shaped like a cone, so it sucks things down like a tornado. It is a wonderful blender!... and will make any type of smoothie you want. Crushes ice with no problem. I plan to keep perfecting my "stock" of the healthy things I want to consume on a daily basis (coconut milk and oil, raw honey, cod liver oil, cinnamon, raw egg yolks!, etc.) and can then consume these things in a quick and easy (and tasty) way. Do you have any suggestions of healthy things to add to my "stock" (like different herbs or "super foods" or something)? I can use the "stock" ingredients and just add different fruits and veggies to give me variety. I highly recommend this blender!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Thu, Feb-16-06 at 19:06.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 09:45

BF:

That looks like a good blender, I don't think my old (wedding gift) blender could handle it. I don't think I could fit that much stuff in there either.

You say the glass is shaped like a cone, is it totally round inside? Mine, square shape, has corners that don't help much.

I made all my own baby food, so it has served me well. My babies had paleo smoothies alot. LOL! My babies were all paleo to begin with, now that they are in school, they are mostly paleo, but not always.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 09:49

BF:

I was just thinking, maybe I should be still making the kids smoothies with all the good stuff in, like cod liver oil, that I can't get them to swallow. They are always "starving" after school and this might be a good way to feed them. Hmmm, I know I can't handle the carbs, but the kids can.

*Just thinking out loud....* LOL!
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 12:37
Registered Member

The Osterizer is cone-shaped, so it acts like a funnel (like a tornado, while it runs)! I think smoothies would be great for kids! For me, it serves the purpose of getting coconut milk and oil, cod liver oil, raw egg yolks, along with some nuts and veggies and berries and even raw honey (which has many good nutrients). It can be kept pretty low carb, I think (berries are pretty low in carbs, and those blueberries will make the veggies taste good). It also serves the purpose of eliminating cravings for stuff like ice cream. These smoothies can be totally non-dairy, totally paleo, yet taste like a milkshake! I have not found a better way to get raw egg yolks and cod liver oil and coconut oil in my diet. I am anxious to find other "super foods" that would be good to put in these daily concoctions. Anyone have any suggestions?
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 15:34
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

We have a Blendtec (sp) which is a commercial quality blender - 1/4 horsepower or something like that. We bought it back when we were first starting out feeding our dogs the BARF diet and thought we had to grind up their food (we have since gotten over that). This thing is a monster. Throw in a few raw chicken wings/backs/drums, including bones, and some veggies and it will turn it into smooth pink goo in about minute.

Wyv
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 23:03
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
We have a Blendtec (sp) which is a commercial quality blender - 1/4 horsepower or something like that. We bought it back when we were first starting out feeding our dogs the BARF diet and thought we had to grind up their food (we have since gotten over that). This thing is a monster. Throw in a few raw chicken wings/backs/drums, including bones, and some veggies and it will turn it into smooth pink goo in about minute.

Wyv
Now there's some "super food" for smoothies... raw chicken!
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-06, 19:34
Registered Member

Well, since I've got a bit of "supplies" to use up... I have been trying these. And, BOY, are they GOOD!

Oh, how I'll miss my carbs!

Banana Split Smoothie

6 ice cubes
4 raw egg yolks
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp cod liver oil
1/2 tsp raw honey
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cinnamon
3 tbsp carob powder
1 banana
1/2 cup strawberries

blend well and enjoy!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Thu, Mar-09-06 at 19:45.