Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 18:42
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
I know for a fact there are plenty of members who find me as soothing as sandpaper underwear..

That is the funniest thing I've ever heard!! Can I use that??? I think I work with some people who think I'm their sandpaper underwear-maybe that will help them get their panties out of a bunch
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 18:47
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

It's an old farmer saying. Some of the rest of them aren't postable, trust me. Grandpa was VERY expressive.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 19:19
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%
Default My Will Be Done

I remember the first person I put on my ignore list, a real Drama Queen if there ever was one. Only read one book in her entire life, and expected everyone to give her answers. She was an arrogant, selfish person with a serious complex. I told her to go away.

I don't know if she did or not, but I have noticed that within a month of me putting any individual on my ignore list, not only do I not see their posts, I don't see them posting anymore. Perhaps it's because I'm such a tolerant individual that it is very difficult for someone with a good heart and serious intent can seriously annoy me. Perhaps those without tend to be "hit and run" when it comes to boards like this.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 19:35
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think part of the reason I don't get annoyed is because I am subject to a lot less potentially annoying subject matter. I instinctively avoid the "newbie holes" which is IMO where most of the irritation tends to concentrate.

Nothing wrong with being a newbie. It's just that places where newbies hang out are also the places where those who are lazy and not serious hang out (because they are always starting something new, and are unwilling to take enough time to reflect and actually understand/learn and change).

I think it's those who are lazy and not serious that make all the really needy annoying posts like:
"OH GOD I AM STALLED I DIDN'T LOSE WEIGHT LAST WEEK"
and...
"HELP I AM NOT LOSING WEIGHT EVEN THOUGH IM EATING AN ENTIRE CREAMER JAR'S WORTH OF FAT EVERY DAY"

I like answering serious questions made by people who seriously want to learn and do this. I love those posts in fact. I don't like being an emotional sponge to someone who will be doing something else next month.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 19:54

Plan: Keto/Low Carb
Stats: 170/120/100 Female 5ft.0in.
BF:
Progress: 71%

I just recently used the ignore option for the first time. I also won't go into the reasons why, maybe I will say the person is very flamboyant and leave it at that.

Btw, It's the Wooo. I always enjoy reading your posts when I come across them.

But yes, I do think our personalities come across somewhat.

Last edited by NoBREAD : Sun, Jan-08-06 at 19:56. Reason: spelling
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 20:10

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%
Progress: 39%

What a wonderful thread! I had no idea so many people feel like I do.

Yes, there are definitely some people on this forum that do annoy me, and like a few others here have said, there are some who's posts I just love!

I came across a thread yesterday where one poster was really getting slammed by 2 others. The 2 were so adamant that their way was the only way, and "what was that original poster even doing on a low-carb forum, anyway?"

I stayed out of it because someone else spoke up, and the orig. poster then said that she felt better. What a scene!

Yes, I do think personalities come across, somewhat. Sometimes it takes reading a lot of a person's posts to really see their personality, but it's definitely worth it!

Like Woo said:
Quote:
I think it's those who are lazy and not serious that make all the really needy annoying posts like:
"OH GOD I AM STALLED I DIDN'T LOSE WEIGHT LAST WEEK"
and...
"HELP I AM NOT LOSING WEIGHT EVEN THOUGH IM EATING AN ENTIRE CREAMER JAR'S WORTH OF FAT EVERY DAY"

I have a friend, she said:
"I'm kind of harsh, I guess, when it comes to the whiners. I guess I just feel like either choose a plan and work the plan, or don't, but don't straddle the fence and expect people to feel sorry for you. Sometimes I wanna say: "Why don't you just call the waaaaaaaaaaambulance?"

Every time I see one of those posts, I think of the waaaaaaaaaaaambulance!

Quote:
by ItsTheWooo: I've been posting a lot less lately

I knew something was missing! Come back!
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 21:09

Plan: Neanderwannabe
Stats: 160/125/115 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 78%

I think Hybrid has me on ignore, I sent him a PM and he hasn't responded. Hybrid will you be my friend? check yes or no.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 23:31
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

I think this forum is more intensely personal than a lot of forums. I think it'd be pretty difficult to fake who you are on this forum for very long - people would notice, over time. What would be the point?

A lot of the reason that I participate in forum discussions is so I will delve deeper into various topics. For example, I like talking over current events on forums, as I get other points of view and I end up digging deeper into the circumstances. Hanging around here, I've learned buckets about various nutritional theories - but since I'm a skeptic I tend to get into piles of research on various topics and often seem to rub people the wrong way in the process, if I come off as opposing them (which I'm not always trying to do, or sometimes trying to do just to provide a counterpoint). I don't take it terribly seriously, nor personally, but I've put people on Ignore if I decided there was no point in talking to them.

Thing is, we all tend to have an assumption that forum discussion leads to the truth. But it doesn't - it shows us people's opinions, and maybe we can move towards a consensus, but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being closer to the truth. As I'm saying, forum discussion is broadening, opinionwise, but it doesn't consequently narrow down to some absolute truth.

More to the point, on a forum like this one that is about nutrition and diet, there is not one central truth that works for everyone. We all have to remember that what works for me, doesn't work for you, and give everyone the space they need. In my own case, I keep my nerdtastic massive posts out of people's journals nowadays, I think that's more respectful.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 23:43
upback

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabella
Thing is, we all tend to have an assumption that forum discussion leads to the truth. But it doesn't - it shows us people's opinions, and maybe we can move towards a consensus, but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being closer to the truth. As I'm saying, forum discussion is broadening, opinionwise, but it doesn't consequently narrow down to some absolute truth.

More to the point, on a forum like this one that is about nutrition and diet, there is not one central truth that works for everyone. We all have to remember that what works for me, doesn't work for you, and give everyone the space they need.

ysabella

You said what I have been feeling lately.

#25   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 23:44
Autistic Carnivore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakkira
I think Hybrid has me on ignore, I sent him a PM and he hasn't responded. Hybrid will you be my friend? check yes or no.

Your inbox was full. Either drop your messages to less than ten, or purchase a paid subscription through PayPal.

But, yes, you can quote me. I'm quite interested in people who actually choose life over death on a daily basis, so of course I'll be your friend. If you're serious, perhaps our friendship can last centuries.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 23:59
Autistic Carnivore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabella
A lot of the reason that I participate in forum discussions is so I will delve deeper into various topics. For example, I like talking over current events on forums, as I get other points of view and I end up digging deeper into the circumstances. Hanging around here, I've learned buckets about various nutritional theories - but since I'm a skeptic I tend to get into piles of research on various topics and often seem to rub people the wrong way in the process, if I come off as opposing them (which I'm not always trying to do, or sometimes trying to do just to provide a counterpoint). I don't take it terribly seriously, nor personally, but I've put people on Ignore if I decided there was no point in talking to them.

I think dieting involves a lot of faith, which is something skeptics by definition lack. This is good in some circumstances. After all, most people have faith, because they've been told over and over again, that the best way to loose weight is to reduce the amount of fat in ones diet. They've been told that they will weaken and die if they don't have the "fuel" that only grains can provide.

Most people are either internal or external sorters and won't change. Internal sorters are natural skeptics, on the whole. What is true is what is true for them. External sorters are people who arrive at truth by way of consensus or by being told by a Trusted Person.

I've recently decided to make the move from external to internal sorter. I've learned the key is to not look back when you've found the truth. One popular phrase these days is "question everything," but not everything needs questioning. Once we have found something to be real and workable, we don't need to question it.

I stopped NeanderThin out of peer pressure, mostly from people I am no longer associated with anyway. Because I externally sorted, the first hundred pounds I lost was meaningless. It wasn't true for "them," so it wasn't true for me.

I find you, personally, easier to deal with when I remember I'm now sorting everything internally. You're not trying to override "my truth" with "your truth." Rather, you're telling me what you've found and inviting me to test it.

I'd rather see a disagreement from you than a bland agreement from many, because when you disagree you present evidence that formerly wasn't part of my knowledge base. I also trust that you'd never attack me personally.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-06, 00:29
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Thanks, upback. I hope I'm not giving an impression, by the way, that I think forum discussions aren't worthwhile just because they don't necessarily result in truth. Obviously, a lot of this forum's reason for existing is just to help each other out. Truth isn't the only thing we have to offer each other, or even solutions to our diet problems - support is worthwhile, and the kind support to be found on this forum is, in my opinion, really outstanding.

Hybrid, interesting ideas, and thanks for the kind comments. It's interesting that you should mention faith, since dieting can be like that sometimes. I would say that I kept some real faith for over a year in Atkins, until I finally had to face that it just wasn't working for me. I finally figured out why months later (carbs too low for my hypothyroidism).

I do think that for everyone on this forum, "I need to watch my carbohydrate intake" is a truth - although it's in various degrees, and we use dozens of different techniques in doing so. That central tenet doesn't need rethinking and I don't think anyone here would be well served by changing to an all-corn syrup diet.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-06, 01:31

Plan: Neanderwannabe
Stats: 160/125/115 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid
Your inbox was full. Either drop your messages to less than ten, or purchase a paid subscription through PayPal.

But, yes, you can quote me. I'm quite interested in people who actually choose life over death on a daily basis, so of course I'll be your friend. If you're serious, perhaps our friendship can last centuries.

Well, I feel silly about my inbox being full, sorry about that! Thank you for the quote, I have even added it to my real life journal that I keep. Oh, and trust me, I am damned serious.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-06, 03:37

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 230/150/165 Female 69 inches
BF:22% (calipers)
Progress: 123%

To touch on what Ysabella said about using the forum discussions to delve deeper into various topic, I would like to give everyone a pat on the back. The main reason I joined this forum was because of the quality of the discussions. There are a lot of smart people on this forum and I love the way you all can cut through some of the BS that gets published as scientific research. Another aspect I really value is the way I have ben forced to question some of my own biases!!!! Scary stuff to acutally realise you have biases when you think you are open minded and savvy about questioning things. A great big thanks to everyone.

I still have no avatar - why? Not enough time to find one cool enough???? LOL again.

Michelle
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-06, 06:45
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woo
I am mad paranoid that everything I post will be misconstrued or start trouble. I feel really self conscious because I think everything I post is annoying or will offend someone. I've been posting a lot less lately partially for this reason.
Woman, you need to get past that! For every person you may annoy/offend, there are PLENTY more whom you don't. I rarely jump in to defend you because you don't need it. From Bill Cosby: "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. "