Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 17:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Paleolithic since Feb 2000
Stats: 218/190/182
BF:
Progress: 78%
Talking

Hi Andy,

Please be my guest and copy anything I have posted to wherever you think it may be of interest. I am no expert in LC, I just know it works for me.

My personal theory is that it is all to do with eating the type of food we evolved to survive on since our ancestors left Africa some 200,000 years ago.

Modern processed carbohydrates will provide us with 'food' to live on but at a hefty price. Our bodies can only cope for so long and, eventually, they develop problems with too many carbohydrates, especially modern processed ones like bread, pasta, sugar, etc. Obesity being only one of them.

Anyway, as it is Hogmanay tomorrow, please don't expect to get any sense out of me or anybody else north of the border for the next 2 days!

Yours aye, Scotsman

Last edited by Scotsman : Mon, Dec-31-01 at 05:33.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 12:04

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi again Scotsman,

Don't worry, I don't expect you to disturb your Hogmany celebrations (or aftermath) to reply here, or even to read this. I am a fan of Scotland, having visited 10 times in 10 years, and having friends there as well as a late step-father who came from Anstruther. So I know that Hogmany is far more important to Scots than Christmas (and even that Christmas Day used to be an ordinary working day in Scotland until about 20-30 years ago).

My reason for replying again is to say that I agree entirely with your perception of low-carbing. If ever you have the odd half hour to spare, you might find the first few posts of my journal interesting, as they exactly echo your own points, and quote reference sources to boot. (The journal has become very long now, so I don't recommend a prolonged perusal). Should you wish to check out these first few posts, click here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/t13118.html

You mentioned in your previous post having to dig your car out of deep snow. Here in rural East Anglia, we had 5 inches of snow 2 days before Christmas Day, but it disappeared. Yesterday, the snow returned, and is still with us. There was a partial thaw today in sunny places, though areas in shadow have not thawed at all. As I type (6pm) there is again a harsh frost, and everything is re-freezing fast, making road conditions here very treacherous, and pavements (sidewalks, for our North American friends) even worse.

Be careful, and have a Guid New Year.

Andy

Last edited by Andy Davies : Mon, Dec-31-01 at 12:15.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 05:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 238/238/140
BF:38 BMI
Progress: 0%
Default Blood Tests

Hi everyone, Im just about to start the Atkins diet and have just read his book (New Diet Revolution). I too am concerned about the fat in the diet. I had my gall bladder removed last year but have noticed a real problem with pasta since then. I think I might have an intolerance which is why I am doing the low carb diet. However, all the research on the diet seems to point to positive reduction in Cholestrol. However, Dr Atkins recommends having blood work done before starting the diet. I am in the UK and am wondering how I go about this. Half of the tests he mentioned I have never heard of (except Cholestrol) and it seems that blood work is done more readily in the US just for patient information. In the UK you need to have more of a reason to have it done. Is there anywhere that you can have independent blood work done without having to go to your doctor. I know that my doctor would not recommend this diet because of the fat content. Please help!

Deepfeelin (London)
  #19   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 06:28

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Exclamation Atkins and No Gall bladder

Hi deepfeelin

I have found this thread in the general health area which I think you might find useful. It is talking about Atkins with no gall bladder. Lisa N is one of the moderators and you might want to pop into her journal and have a chat with her. You can find more info in the General Health forums.

It is not essential to have the blood tests done. In the US the customer pays for them anyway, whereas we don't. You could always ask your doctor if you could have a lipids profile (cholosterol and triglycerides) done next time you go. Mine was OK about it.