Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 12:26
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

That is great! Looks like you will do very well with this woe!

One thing you might want to be aware of (if you aren't already) is that commercially raised animals are fed tons of grains and are given hormones and lots of other junk. I have checked around via the internet and found many farms around where I live. After trying out various ones, and calling and talking to them, I now have a very good farm to get grass-fed lamb and beef, free-range chickens, pork, turkeys... all of this is completely natural and organic (and you can tell by the taste of the meat). I have another farm where I get my bison. Right now I am working on finding a good place to get deer and elk. Another advantage to this is you can communicate directly with the processor and get it like you want. Once you develop personal relationships with the farmers and the processors you can really get a lot of things you would normally not be able to. For instance, you can have the heart of a bison along with some bison fat ground up into the bison burger (that makes it taste so rich!... and talk about healthy!). You can get the round sliced thin and then dehydrate it to make jerky or pemmican. You can ask for slabs of fat to make pemmican (or to cook with). You can even get brains, and bones for marrow, etc. The omega 3/6 ratios of the fat in these animals is like it should be. With a grain fed animal it is WAY off! And that has dire consequences for human health.

And, of course factory farms not only produce food that will hurt human health, but think about what they put the animals through! Where I get the chickens, lamb, etc. when I go to that farm I see happy chickens running loose all over the place, and healthy sheep and geese, and pigs and cows, etc. Some friends of mine live out in the country (very near to the bison farm I get bison from). They have a bunch of south american chickens that lay the most beautiful eggs you will ever see. They are the best tasting eggs I have ever eaten. These chickens are running free and even roost in the trees (which is what south american chickens do). I feel great to eat these types of eggs, and feel great that the chickens I get them from are not tied down to a spot where they just lay eggs onto a conveyer belt all day long, their wings and beaks clipped and they can never even move their whole lives! And, if you have ever seen cows in a feedlot, and what they go through for the last 100-300 days of their lives, as they get sicker and sicker eating grains! It is very pathetic!

anyway, it is something to think about.

take care, and keep up the diet... sounds like you are doing fantastic!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Fri, Oct-10-03 at 12:42.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 13:00

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

I am able to get free-run chicken, turkey, range ostrich and bison meat for my cats from certain holistic pet shops and veterinarians here in town, but I haven't had a chance to look for these same meats made for human consumption and where they are located. My problem is space. I live in a tiny apartment with a tiny fridge with a tinier freezer compartment. Buying the raw cat food is enough to fill half the freezer compartment for their monthly needs. Perhaps I should contact the pet shop to see if they have contact numbers for the cat food manufacturer who can then give me a contact name for the people who grow these animals. It's a plan. Even though it would be impractical for me to buy directly from the farm in larger quantities, they must be selling their produce to someone here in town. Great idea.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 18:07

Plan: ?
Stats: 130/125/125 Female 5' 7"
BF:12%
Progress: 100%

I know Dean
That is SOOO sad for the poor little chickens!! I swear - sometimes that's why I bordered on veganism because i felt like if I could NOT eat animal products at least I wouldn't be contributing to this sadness.

But if I go back to my own heritage - The Cherokee did eat deer and buffalo, yet they didn't overkill - they killed and used every part of the animal and they were reverant and thankful. So once again - it;s all about balance!

But I do feel better with not quite so much cooked protein ( this could be due to my own bodies quirks and not something everyone would thrive on though!)

Anyway - it sounds like we are all learning quite a bit about a healthy way of eating and getting back to nature in a sensible way!!!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 18:13

Plan: ?
Stats: 130/125/125 Female 5' 7"
BF:12%
Progress: 100%

Hi Helli

It IS hard when you have small storage space - but it sounds like you are working it out!

My two dogs ( 130 pound Rottweiler & 7 pound Pomeranian ) both LOVE raw meat & raw eggs. I give them both some of that every day. My Pomeranian is just a puppy and will eat ANYTHING - but my Rottweiler (9 yrs old) is VERY picky and will eat : MEAT, BUTTER, RAW EGGS, COOKED EGGS, MILK, CHEESE, HIS DOG FOOD, an occasional cookie. He won't ever eat anything that is artifically flavored, or anything like soy cheese - no junk food, no prepared food. I say that if HE turns his nose up at something, it must be bad for you!!!

My grandmother had a huge cat in Sweden who was part wildcat (i don't know what breed). Apparently from family tales (tall tales? ) they fed it raw brains, liver, kideny's etc, but it went mad and my Grandfather had to shoot it!! maybe there was some sort of parasite in the raw meat that went to his brain and drove it crazy. I don't know too much about that kind of stuff though!!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 00:22
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Smile

If butter is not allowed then what about using olive oil to get enough fat?

I have the Neanderthin book and am just halfway through reading it and am thinking of doing it instead of Atkins. It seems very sensible to me.

I like the idea of eating raw egg yolks but I do not have access to free range eggs. I am on a limited income and get my eggs from the supermarket.
Would eating those raw hurt me? I was thinking if I thoroughly wash the shell of the egg in warm water before cracking it open it might be helpful to remove any little germs.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 03:31

Plan: Neanderthin/Paleo
Stats: 147/123.2/121 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 92%

I don't use butter in cooking, don't like the taste. Olive oil is delicious though. I buy the locally made stuff which is pure gold and has an intense flavor. Beats butter any day! LOL.

It's also very good in that it lowers cholesterol and has many other properties that butter just doesn't have. The people in the Mediterranean Basin have been eating it for centuries and the incidence of skin cancer is among the lowest in the world. It's very sunny here, BTW. Also, as a beauty aid, it's amazing....supple skin, shiny hair, etc. It has antioxidants, so you age much slower.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 08:56

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Europeans have the advantage of more natural farming as opposed to north americans. Chickens, ducks and geese run free and cows roam pastures eating grass, for example. Therefore all products, be they eggs, poultry products, meat, beef, cheese, butter, milk, are more pure and natural. Regarding lot's of sun and low rates of cancer, I read an article that proported that skin cancer was due to a person's injestion of hydrogenated fats, trans fats, and vegetable fats (such as corn, sunflower, canola) causing a chemical reaction once the sun's rays hit the skin. I think it was in the cancer section of Barry Groves' very excellent website "Second Opinions", which I suggest everyone read at their leisure. Some very interesting stuff. Anyway, I agree with Nela. It is unfortunate that here in North America it is much more difficult to find naturally raised or grown products.

Lobstergal, I am also in the same boat as you in that I am on a very limited budget. I am however able to purchase some organic products at my local supermarket, such as free run eggs, green vegetables, but not much else. If you have farmer's markets in your town or city, check those out. They sometimes sell free range chicken and eggs, and such. Also, I only use olive oil in my salads not for cooking. I only use coconut oil for cooking because of it's ability to remain stable at all temperatures. Butter would be ok if you could get it from grass-fed cows, and to place on cooked vegetables, but, again, not for cooking with.

Last edited by Hellistile : Wed, Apr-14-04 at 09:04.