Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 18:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/153/120
BF:
Progress: 18%

Thanks, I'll look into it.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 18:51
Registered Member

Stats: 151/139/125
BF:
Progress: 46%

I HATE <-- notice the big capital letters there?
to exercise, and I smoke, a lot. I just got the Winsor video off of tv, and I think it's fun, and pretty easy too.

I hope it works! Has anyone else seen massive belly slimming with this?
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 10:45

Stats: 216/177/170 Male 69.5"
BF:33%/19%/15%
Progress: 85%

I got the Windsor Pilates DVD the other day and thought I would add it to my workouts. After the first day, and only making through about 16 minutes of the 20 minute workout ( I know, I am pathetic), I thought I was going to die. It is getting easier and I feel great. This is one helluva workout. I just don't want my guy friends to know I'm doing it!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 14:34

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

Still waiting on my pilates tape! *sighs*
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 17:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

Has anyone tried the pilates exercise equipment?
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 20:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins turned CAD
Stats: 125/120/110 Female 5 ft 2 or 3 in/157-160 cm
BF:30%
Progress: 33%

hi there -
i start my lessons at a local health club on the 3rd. i'll be using the pilates machines - i believe it's called the allegro reformer. i'm so glad i found reasonably priced pilates classes in my area - most reformer classes cost a TON of money.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 02:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

Sorry ......... I meant the home exercise pilates machines
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 08:58
Registered Member

Plan: Michael Thurman's 6 wk makeover
Stats: 175/159.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I also have the denise austing "pilates for every body" and the Yoga/pilates workout

trying to do the first one 3 x wk and a Firm body sculpt at least 1x wk.

I am turning 50 on 7/11. getting a little easier, not much, every time I use these, but can see difference already, have just been using reg for ~ 2 wk. I also try to walk ~ 3 mi a day, outside or comb w/ treadmill.

have a friend at work, all she has really changed in her life is doing Pilates daily and has lost a lot of wt over last few months. says she "watches " what she eats during wk, and eats pretty much what she wants on wkend. big change is the Pilates. So giving it a shot.

wish the pounds would start dropping of too!!!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 09:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkins turned CAD
Stats: 125/120/110 Female 5 ft 2 or 3 in/157-160 cm
BF:30%
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadFl
Sorry ......... I meant the home exercise pilates machines

i think some (if not all) of the pilates machines are for either club or home use. unless you're talking about smaller equipment like the fitness circle. anyway, hope you're having fun doing pilates! i've been doing the videos for awhile now and i can't wait to get my butt on the machines.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 15:52

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

Well I'm no longer waiting on my friend to copy my tape, I'll just go buy it! But before I do, I am wondering something. From the infomercials it seems to be mostly floor exercises. Well from an injury last year my leg has not recovered. After 20 minutes of an eliptical machine I just cant do it and thats with a couple stops. So do you think Pilates would be a good alternative for my leg?
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 02:29

Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly
Progress: 0%

At ten this morning I'll be taking my first Pilates class. It's a little daunting to me, outside of weights this is the firstthing I've done in about 20 years. Looking forward to seeing some results in about a month according to what the instructor said.

Wish me luck, glad I found this thread to encourage me~
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 09:54

Plan: General Lowcarbing
Stats: 188/185/150
BF:
Progress: 8%

Okay, dumb question......so if incorporating pilates into an exercise schedule, would pilates count as an "ab workout" and would it be ok to alternate cardio and weight days and add a pilates tape to the end of your cardio or weights? Just curious.

Roche
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 10:17

Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly

The Pilates class that I went to was more than my back and bad leg can take. Supposed to go back today, but my back is so sore, it will have to wait until next week. Or I may switch to something else where I don't have to get on the floor for now. At one point, I honestly thought that the metal in my leg was going to snap out. Not a pleasant thought, even though logically I know it's unlikely.

If you don't have a bunch of physical injuries to deal with, my impression of the class was that it is a wonderful way to condition all parts of your body, and to stretch and relax.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 10:31
Registered Member

Plan: Michael Thurman's 6 wk makeover
Stats: 175/159.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I love my Denise Austin Pilates tapes, I have "Pilates for every body" and Ypga plus/pilates, both are really good. incorporate the whole body w/each exercise and some wts also. I found them difficult at first, but did best I could, getting a little easier, but can see the difference w/in 2 wks of 3x wk. I also walk at min 1.5 miles to 4 miles day as often as possible. I have to as I sit all day at work, 10 hr days. this has put 40 # on me in 4 yrs, after I had lost 55 # 6 yrs ago, so disappointing! it was a low fat/ low carb diet thru Metabolic Research. the wt came off for me much quicker and consistently than it has w/ Atkins. I am going to be having my hormones, thyroid and cholesterol tested in 1 month at my annual exam, wondering if that is what is keeping me stuck. I so much enjoy the Atkins eatting, but still don't think I am getting in enough fat, as I do Fitday, and my fat is usually under 70%. I don't know what else to add, as I do nuts, whip cream, cream cheese, olive oil, take flax capsules, etc. any other suggestions?
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 14:31

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Default Is it just me.....

Or did everyone else look like a complete klutz when they first did Pilates?

I got The Method Precision Toning and the Target Specifics tapes and started on Tuesday. There are some dance movements in them (which I hate) and I looked and felt as clumsy as I did with Tae Bo. What a sight to behold!! Thank goodness no one was there watching me...they would have fallen off the couch laughing!

Anyway, I do feel like they're working (the slight ache in my ribcage tells me that), so I'll keep it up. Hopefully, I'll have a quick show of effort and will be encouraged to keep trying.