Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 09:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Howdy Rain!

I usually do the low fat way, but I do get so hungry. :-(( I am going to really, really try to do the CALP. I am hoping my blood tests will not go bad on me, by doing this WOE?
If this doesn't work.....then I will have to go back to the low fat way and starve, I suppose?
A Diet Buddy in TEXAS
Jo Ann
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 21:50
Registered Member

Plan: CALP/Atkins
Stats: 175/140/110
BF:
Progress: 54%

Oh Jo Ann, I hope this works for you! I've done the low fat, and even though it does work...like you say, one has to starve in order to see results...

You know? I'm starting to feel lighter... And yesterday I was able to use the next little hole of my belt! so my waist is coming back! I'll be so happy if I do lose with CALP! It's so easy for me!

I'm also taking some of the odorless garlic pills, because I tend to have high cholesterol. I'm going for blood work this month on the 18...Let's see what happens.

How many days do you have so far in CALP? Is it a week yet?
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 23:57
Registered Member

BF:
Cool

Wawtigress, I was thinking about you yesterday. You posted that it was RAINing where you are. I noticed you're in Florida! I've been there a couple of times and I loved it! I live in NY and winter is no fun here! ( at least from my point of view-LOL) Still, with the cold and all, today we managed to go to the beach and took our dog for a nice walk. It was COLD! but sunny and very pretty! And I'm always ready to go walking!

By the way! I finally got the book and read it all in one sitting! I also took notes...Noticed about a couple of things I was doing that don't help my case...Like drinking flavored water for example. I wasn't aware of the MSG connection either. I've been off caffeine for a while, so I'm ok in that department. I'm very positive about CALP. I also get very excited reading about your success because I feel that if you can do it, it'll probably happen for me too!

Come and visit!

Hope you're all having a great weekend!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 00:30
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb floundering; deciding which plan
Stats: 241/229.5/133
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Need an experienced opinion...

In the book, when it says you can have up to 2 TB daily of half'n'half in one cup of coffee, does that mean only ONE cup of coffee per day? I usually drink 2-3 cups daily and put Equal and half'n'half in all of them.

What do?
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 05:55

Plan: cad/calp
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default If the book says don't do it then

don't do it. The books says 2 ozs a day. It says that in the list of crave reducing foods. (half and half, that is).So it is very important to keep going over the book until you know it without thinking if you want the diet to work. Any diet for that matter. Hope this answers your question. Wawtigress
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 21:43
Registered Member

BF:
Cool

Hi Hestia! Thank you for coming by! about your question I'd agree with Wawtigress. Besides, she's been doing this CALP diet for a while and losing like a champion! I do remember one thing about Equal or any AS (artificial sweetner), only because I used them all the time. The book talks about this. They say that any artificial sweetner should be avoided at any time other than the RM, unless you're losing too much (over 2 lbs a week). They say that this slows down the weight loss for most people I had "trained" myself to drink my coffee black (believe it or not!LOL), and also decaf (the book talks about caffeine too).

I was drinking a lot of flavored water. I thought that because it had no ceffeine it was ok. Well, the book talks about AS and now I have stopped that. I drink it only during my RM. They say that anything "sweet" (sugar or not) can be interpreted by our body as sugar... Hope this helps.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 20:34
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb floundering; deciding which plan
Stats: 241/229.5/133
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Equal or not...

Rain,

Thanks for the good advice. And you, too, Wawtigress. I haven't given up my coffee in the morning, but I have measured out the 2 TB of half'n'half, usually splitting it between two cups of coffee. And Equal. I use 2 packets of Equal and it seems not to matter a bit. I will certainly watch for signs of "sugar shock" as I go. I, believe you me, I know the signs. That's the only sweetener, artificial or otherwise, that I use. I drink tea straight up and am not a big fan of diet drinks of any sort. I will have a Diet 7-Up now and then.

I'm only 3 or 4 days into CALP so it's all still very odd. It is a solid relief to eat a meal and not have to worry quite so much about it. I am eating alot of salad, I must say. And I always drink alot of water. As I said, this is still uncharted territory and I'm not comfortable with it.

Thank you again!

Hestia
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 22:33
Registered Member

BF:

I know what you mean Hestia. This is my second week and I'm just getting used to it...It felt very strange for me to do the low carb all day and then be able to eat carbs at the RM. I'm still very curious to see what results I'll get. For that reason I keep reading the book like Wawtigress said. I also read a lot of journals of those who have done well with this diet and take mental notes as I read and re-read...

I feel like if this is taking forever! But in reality it is only my second week...So, it's just me being impatient! LOL

I try to look at it as a "month achievement"...I picture myself losing 4 or 5 pounds per month and that keeps me on track and gives me the patience to deal with it day by day...
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 06:01

BF:
Default Hello everyone

The artificial sweetner is one of the options. It doesn't seem to bother me so I use occassionally art. sweetners. I read Rain that you still have cravings. You may have to choose the GTF chromium the book talks about. But also these take a few days to go away. I have no cravings at all. Also when I read your journal, you said lunch-none but then you listed salami then your dinner. How long before dinner did you eat the salami. If it was 1/2-1hr prior then you probably released insulin and started your dinner hour when made it go past. Also you listed a roll with the sandwich and also a bowl of cereal. This may have been to much in the starch department. Remember the roll and the cereal would have to be equal to the protein and veggie you eat. I would have left off one or the other and chose a small light dessert instead.You have to be very careful with the white starch department. It can be a diet killer. Hope this helps. Wawtigress
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 06:28

BF:
Thumbs down Confession!

Well............I have had 2 bad days! I got discouraged over the scales showing I had gained..............so now I don't have anyone, except myself, to blame for the "SCREW UP" these past couple of days.
Can anyone tell me, when you mess up like I did on the CALP.............should I begin an Induction again, or does the CALP not have an induction? Help!
Hope to hear from you guys soon!
Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 09:18
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 207.5/203/190
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default When you fall of the horse.....

the best thing to do is get right back on and keep going.

I, myself had a slip up last weekend. It's taken me until today to get back to my Saturday morning weight. But, I am there again; and it feels GREAT!!!

I also learned from my error and I hope to not let it happen again. The key is to not beat yourself up and to let yesterday stay in the past.

Remember, today is the first day of the rest of your life; and you CAN make every day a new beginning.

#27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 10:22

BF:
Default Thanks Scotty!

..............You are so right about not fretting over the mistakes, but to be sure to learn from them! That is what I plan to do!

Scotty , thanks for the encouragement!

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 13:22
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you all for posting here! It helps me to read and see how you guys are doing! Thank you Wawtigress for taking the time to look at my journal. I see your point and you're right. I need to be more careful with keeping my carbs at "1/3"!!! during my RM. About the salami, I'll remember that too. I think it was like an hour before dinner, I had a few thin slices just to carry me over while I was getting dinner ready. I thought that being just protein, no carbs, it'd be ok. I agree with you and I'll be careful not to do that again.

My cravings are only at night. Last night for example, I wen to bed very late (2am) and by then I was so hungry! I was sure I had to be lighter today because I could've eaten real food, I mean, I wasn't craving sweets anymore, I was hungry for meat and greens! (haha! what a concept!) But I resisted and just finished what I was doing and went to bed. The scale was still the same this morning. I imagine it'll go down later on, at "some point." I know I need to be patient and STICK to it! And keep going learning to get the hang of it...

Thank you Waw for you advise and for taking the time to look at what I'm doing!

And thank you to everyone else for posting!
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 14:31

BF:
Default Joanne, Scotty and Rain

Joanne , like Scotty said "Get back on the horse and try again. " But try to stick to the plan , the weight will come off faster. i must admit this is the first diet I have been no and didn't cheat. i made a commitment to myself that I would do it this time and not fall off the horse. Scotty , thanks so much for your input . It really helps when other people respong. And Rain, the one hour was to close to dinner and proteins do count. That started your dinner meal. If it had been several hours earllier ,say for lunch ,no problem.Remember the insulin factor. I have been working in my flower beds all day and I'm exhausted.My daughter Samtigress just sent me a message. Her husband rented a plane and flew her to Tangiers a little island in the Chesapeake Bay for Valentines Day. She was thrilled. Another thought on weight. I weigh say 180 for 4 maybe 5 days then drop to 179 for a couple days for a 1 lb or more loss for week. So don't be discouraged if weight remains same for several days. This happens. Now if a t the end of the week no change then you must be doing some thing wrong. Hope this helps. Wawtigress
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 16:00
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 207.5/203/190
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default About those 60 minute meals

I sure don't want to beat things to death...so please don't take this as a criticism....it's meant to help all of us learn from each other.

The salami 30-60 minutes before dinner is out because it can release insulin. But, how long; or really how short of a time constitutes time "between" meals. I believe that is supposed to be 90 minutes. So, if you have skipped a meal, and you are hungry; have that snack....just make sure there is enough time between that and dinner.

And, on to that 60 minute meal. I can't remember where I read this...it may have been somewhere on this site ...but, in any event, I read this recently:

When you have that 60 minute meal; you need to eat everything as one continuous meal. If you stop eating for 5 minutes and then start again (like taking a 10-15 minute break before dessert); you may be fooling your stomach and you may release more insulin. So, yes you can take your time; you do have 60 minutes....but....don't wharf down your dinner in 10 minutes and then think you can come back in 30 minutes to have dessert.