Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 09:52

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: // Female --
BF:
Progress: 21%

Oops. I did not realize I was posting in a teens space. I didn't mean to intrude.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 20:56

Plan: LC
Stats: 190/184/150 Female 5 feet, 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

I like the way you think about it Brookery! ANd Im sorry your dad acted that way about it... but i guess he only did it cause he thought it was the best thing at the time.. parents are parents.. but that doesnt mean they act really overly silly at times! haha
Rainne... you're right about the whole impact moms have on their daughters. Everytime i think to myself, "I have no respect for my mom because she drinks and critisizes me" But when she yells, or somthing i still feel guilty and realize.. i do have respect for that woman.. and the way you put it
Quote:
What matters most is that we love as much as we can, understand each other as well as we can and ultimately find our own way despite the cues and feedback we get - because good or bad, it still comes from a flawed person living a different life.
really helps me understand where shes coming from a little bit more...
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 20:57

Plan: LC
Stats: 190/184/150 Female 5 feet, 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

oh! and im glad you did! rainne! we need a mommy's opinion every once in a while!
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-04, 09:35

Plan: i dont know
Stats: 170/170/105 Female 64 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%

I knew someone once that was really mean. she'd always tell me to get up and go out and do something or your gonna start to look like your mother. and my mother has had the lapriscopic bypass sugery twice. she has alot of medical problems and stuff like that and it can really hurt someones feeling when they sit there and tell you you're gonna be like that. and the worst part was she wanst much better. she had diabetes nad weight problems too. and know matter what people tell me i just cant seem to get movatied enough to get up off my big butt and do something about all the teasing and stuff. when i have time i'll get on the cpu and just look for ways to lose weight that i can stick to.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 15:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/246/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaGirl
Well, Damn. I thought I was doing somthing that would make me easier to look at. I thought I was doing a good job. Taebo-ing everyday, swimming, drinking water, low carbing... losing weight feeling good. I mean, im at the point now, where Im not even craving carbs anymore. At the point where I can totally pass up carbs. and thats an important step for me.
But no, my mom has to be a bitch to me and tell me that "You dont move.. youre not doing anything... your disgusting!!"
THANKS MOM for all the support.
It hurts my feelings to the point of wanting to just QUIT. Shes not ever gonna let me be. It feels like my efforts arent making any impact.
But, im not gonna quit! Im gonna keep on keepin' on (thanks Joe Dirt)
and keep on rockin!
Anyone else have a problem with stupid parents, or unsupportive people?
!!Rock!!
Whit

You know I can totally sympathize with you. Both my parents were like that to me when I was living at home, and even when I'm not living with them.

I think the worse though is having a guy tell you...

but you know what to do with unsupportive people? Screw em'. Ignore them. Prove them wrong. make them eat there tongue.

Goodluck!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 18:33

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:

D*mn this thread brings back memories. When I was growing up I was always told how fat I was, I was compared constantly to my sister. Looking back I was normal wieght while my sister was 4'10 and buying children's clothes when she was in her 20's. I remember my Grandmother would be the most insulting of them. She would tell people how much of a pig I was - at parties she see me with so many plates of different foods - Mum had to stand up for me, I was actually helping her carry food from the kitchen to the table. Someone ate all the topping off a lemon meringue pie, I got blamed because I was such a pig. After I had my first baby and actually did put on weight we were going on a car trip with my parents and her. I get travel sick and need to suck on a sweet to stop it, she looked at me and said "no wonder you are so fat".

My father can't understand why I don't like my Grandmother very much, I love her because she's my Grandmother but I don't like her. This is the same woman who told people that my marriage wouldn't last long because I wasn't good enough for my husband. Just celebrated my 15th anniversary - so have showed her
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 08:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 310/250/199 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 54%

I think as weird as it is that my parents get on my case more when im losing the weight thinking that it will give me a boost....but it didnt and i confronted my mom about it. She completly understood what i was saying and ever since then all i hear is "hey skinny" which is for me weird cuz im still like 25 lbs over weight.......i just guess im not used to taken compliments from her

My dad in the other hand is an arsehole. Thank god i dont live with him...he gets mad and he will say crap like "If you dont loose any more weight there gonna need a crane to get you out of the house" Thankz dad...
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-04, 03:03

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

your mom sounds like a real piece of shit, im sorry your parents arent more supportive.. i wish you the best of luck!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-04, 23:02

Stats: 150/134/120 Female 5'5
BF:too much
Progress: 53%

Screw your parents!

I have dealt with overly criticizing ones from the day I was born. Just keep up what you are doing. Nobody ever had bad results from the workouts and diet you say you are doing. Give it some time....they will eat their words.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Dec-11-04, 10:20
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

<starting a list of everyone I want to adopt>

Nosy Mom person poking in here too... ANY parent who makes those kind of comments to their child needs a good shaking. If they honestly THINK being mean is going to motivate you to change, they're just ignorant. If they don't think it will help, then they're just being petty and mean and taking their own issues out on you. In any case...it's not your fault. You aren't heavy on purpose just to spite them, but you're more than likely heavy from DEALING with them... self-medicating with food.

You can turn it around (all of you) and stay strong. Just try to remember their mean comments are SO not about YOU... whatever problems they have in their own heads, or whatever their issues were with THEIR parents are being played out in your relationship. You didn't ask for it, you don't deserve it, and you can make YOURSELF happy and healthy in spite of their "help"... The old saying "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger" is true. You can bet someday when YOU have kids, you'll be sensitive and gentle with them because you know what it's like to get treated otherwise.

<hopping off soapbox>
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Dec-16-04, 20:24
Registered Member

Plan: Vegetarian CAD
Stats: 120/120/100 Female 5 feet
BF:

I know how you all feel! My parents are against the low carb or even something concidered healthy. I eat this way because it amkes me feel good, not only because i want to maintain my weight and maybe loose just a few. My parents always say "If you don't eat your white rice you're going to die!" How retarded is that?? I explain that i'll happily eat brown rice but they go "Brown rice is bad for you! Here have some rice with some steak!" Are tehy crazy or what???
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-05, 02:27

Stats: 182/161.2/150 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 65%
I haven't told my mum yet and am not planning too, it doesn't matter. Its something I'm doing for myself, to make me feel and look better. Parents and people you know can be as immature, jealous or ignorant as they wan't but in the end you'll be the one with the gorgeous new bod and slim ass which they can kiss
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 02:36

Plan: SBD from Atkins
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 5'7
BF:35.5

I'm so sorry that your parents are not supportive, that's just so horrible and to me something I can't comprehend! I love my children no matter what!!!
My 17 year old son is 6 and about 250 lbs and did Atkins with me this summer. I think he lost something like 30lbs but then when he went back to school (he lives 200 miles away) I'm sure he stopped it, and like me gained it all back!

I've always felt that a parents role is to be supportive, no matter what!!! I'm going to be trying the SBD and will be encouraging my son to try again!!!

I love the attitude about them having to buy all new clothing though when you do loose the weight! Keep that attitude up and remember your doing it for YOU! I understand you feel you want to give up, to *show them* but in the long run, it will hurt only you!
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 03:17

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaGirl
Well, Damn. I thought I was doing somthing that would make me easier to look at. I thought I was doing a good job. Taebo-ing everyday, swimming, drinking water, low carbing... losing weight feeling good. I mean, im at the point now, where Im not even craving carbs anymore. At the point where I can totally pass up carbs. and thats an important step for me.
But no, my mom has to be a bitch to me and tell me that "You dont move.. youre not doing anything... your disgusting!!"
THANKS MOM for all the support.
It hurts my feelings to the point of wanting to just QUIT. Shes not ever gonna let me be. It feels like my efforts arent making any impact.
But, im not gonna quit! Im gonna keep on keepin' on (thanks Joe Dirt)
and keep on rockin!
Anyone else have a problem with stupid parents, or unsupportive people?
!!Rock!!
Whit

duh, my mom is 76 and still that way......they dont change........
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 23:18
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 133/132/115 Female 62-3in
BF:24/22/19
Progress: 6%

Parents want you to fail! I'm currently in an awful state of F*****G PMS and my stomach looks like a watermelon , so what does dear old dad do: he says " if you continue with this diet you're on, we'll soon need to expand our doorways"! I got so mad I went on the treadmill but right now I feel like I wnt to die. I feel so hopeless, weightloss has really been hard this month and I don't know what to do except starve myself?