Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-12, 17:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I understand you're talking about bioidentical, but you can't get more bioidentical than the stuff your own body makes and THAT is why women with Factor V tend to get blood clots and stuff during pregnancy.

Blood clots can be fatal, so it just isn't something I want to tempt fate with. At least, not without doing my own research on the topic. With my family history and genetic test results, this is not something I'm going to fool with without researching it for myself and feeling satisfied.

I hope you don't feel bad I'm not just taking your word for it.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 11:46

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I don't ever expect you or anyone else to 'take my word for it'. You may have more 'updated medical training' than I do and know something 'newer' about that. If you do, I'd like to see those studies (see?? always learning!).

But, progesterone is a good thing and also natural....you could use that. Actually, I read about this with my endocrinologist because I, also, havea genetic marker for phlebitis, etc. and so does my DD etc., and once we researched about bioidentical and such, we felt better about it.

I used bioidentical compounded for as long as I 'needed' it, and at much lower dosages.

I'm really hoping that people don't REALLY believe there is estrogen in birth control pills though, lol. And that when they see the words 'Hormone replacement' that means test tube, or conjugated, and that unless there is 'bioidentical' in FRONT of it, it's not 'estrogen'.

Ya gotta do what's right for you. That takes MUCH research! EVERYwoman should research on themselves about this.

Oh, and there isn't any 'progesterone' in 'the new BCP's' either..it's progESTINS...more chemicals so they can have a patent! also, if you or others have ever been given what the doc said was 'progesterone' to 'start up your period'??? Huh uh. NOT...progesterone that is bioidentical is called prometrium (oral type) or just plain 'compounded transdermal progesterone'.

BTW, those who have the problem of clotting during pregnancy is a 'whole 'nother ballgame' than those women who carry the gene and are post meno....too. Lots of science.

Actually, two of my family members are cautioned to also not take natural (porcine) thyroid because they have clotting disorder...have you looked into that too? There's not a lot about it, but I was a little 'stunned' when reading the newest lit on it....seems the T1 and T2 in the product can interfere with clotting in some wiht disorders. Heads up. (That info is SO new, I'm proud to have been given it..lol).
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 11:50
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Actually, two of my family members are cautioned to also not take natural (porcine) thyroid because they have clotting disorder...have you looked into that too? There's not a lot about it, but I was a little 'stunned' when reading the newest lit on it....seems the T1 and T2 in the product can interfere with clotting in some wiht disorders. Heads up. (That info is SO new, I'm proud to have been given it..lol).

Oh brother... nope, hadn't heard about it. Thanks for the heads up!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 17:35

BF:

That study is exhaustive but so 'new' I was 'giddy' when the doc shared it!

And just think....scientists don't even actually 'know for SURE' what T2 and T1 even 'do' in the body! ??? You'd think they'd figure THAT out first, wouldn't ya???

I did talk to my doctor friend (a strictly thyroid doc only too...and BHRT) and mentioned your predicament with having teh genetic background and he said that he's had several patients on BHRT with it, but on an 'individual basis' and that if you want to further explore this try and find a doctor who's had SEVERAL patients from the SAME family line who've been replaced.

That makes sense to me, too.

And I don't think even BHRT is for 'every woman' regardless...there are plenty of women who get through menopause without it and I think we need to reserve replacement for those who just can't function without it.

I went through a horrible menopause...and kept trying and trying to go without any type of intervention for it...but 'had to' finally, but I really REALLY think I would have been well off had I started progesterone compounded earlier...at the start...I have seen women start that early as soon as their estradiol, estriol, prog. etc. labs show it dropping and they all tended to get through it easier.

Best of luck to you Nancy....gosh it's no fun having genetic disorder and autoimmune running in the family....when you 'search' online, to research about BHRT, make sure you run searches with bioidentical in the search line, there is more and more information out there.

And I hope you just SAIL right on through it all!!!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 19:11

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

WHat about BHRT for those of us that were exposed to D.E.S. in utero?

Also, please give me some links on the clotting disorder you are discussing. My mother had phlebitis once and I need to learn more about this.

Thanks!!!!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 19:13
Experimenter

BF:

I've had an easy menopause so far. No hot flashes. The only possible symptom is the heart palpitations and I'm not even sure it is due to meno. But then again, my period started up again a couple months ago, so maybe I'm not really in meno yet. I'm 53! I haven't gone a full year without it yet.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 19:19
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroangie

Also, please give me some links on the clotting disorder you are discussing. My mother had phlebitis once and I need to learn more about this.

Thanks!!!!

Factor V Leiden. I don't have any particular link, but you can google that to read up. I found out I have it from a comprehensive genetic test I had done at 23andme.com. Hey, it's the worst gene I have, so I can't complain. But it does mean I have a whomping 35% chance of getting a venous blood clot.

Pam, do you have any links regarding T1/T2 and clotting? I couldn't find anything.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 19:30
Experimenter

BF:

ACtually, t1 & t2 interfering with clotting might be okay. My issue is that my blood is sticky and clots too easily.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-12, 08:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroangie

Thanks!!!!

My Mother had phlebitis too. You need to see an 'anti aging' doctor (that's usually a doctor specializing in BHRT and you can google for that 'anti aging doctors in _____).

Doctors really good with BHRT could answer your questions based on YOUR individual testing.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-12, 08:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I've had an easy menopause so far. No hot flashes. The only possible symptom is the heart palpitations and I'm not even sure it is due to meno. But then again, my period started up again a couple months ago, so maybe I'm not really in meno yet. I'm 53! I haven't gone a full year without it yet.

BHRT and anti aging docs dont' go by the 'no period for a year'. I was having monthlies and was POST meno. Guess what?? I was just sloughing uterine lining. Surprise!

It goes buy your testing, and I don't mean 'FSH'. "FSH' is about as 'telling' as TSH is for thyroid. You want a panel that gives your estradiol, estriol, estrone, progesterone, DHEA, and so forth.

Your heart palps aren't from low potasssium or magnesium are they?

But that was my main symptom in menopause...the heart palps..oh my..so bad they about lifted me off the bed! And two doctors said 'Oh, HYPER thyroid'..nope..I'm hyPO but you can have them cuz of that too with antibody action...

Remember the first hormone that goes South is progesterone (so many think it's estrogen, but it's not)...and that signals the thyroid to 'do the work FOR the missing progesterone' and if we already HAVE hypothyroid, our incoming replacement needs to be checked and checked often and then put beside the sex hormone panel and you can SEE...the imbalance then.

Yeah..the heart palps went away and I slept like a baby on the progesterone at night only.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-12, 08:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Factor V Leiden. I don't have any particular link, but you can google that to read up. I found out I have it from a comprehensive genetic test I had done at 23andme.com. Hey, it's the worst gene I have, so I can't complain. But it does mean I have a whomping 35% chance of getting a venous blood clot.

Pam, do you have any links regarding T1/T2 and clotting? I couldn't find anything.

No, sorry I cannot. Study just broke 20 days ago.

35% isn't bad...but are you also on an anti clotting med then? Cuz I know that the people I know with it are.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-12, 09:04
Experimenter

BF:

Study authors, title, anything?

No anit-clotting meds.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-12, 12:12

BF:

Actually doctors, and nurses and others in the medical 'world' can pay for a subscription to new studies.

I know I'm paying for some (not this one, I'm INVOLVED in some studies....therefore I get to see the 'outcome' but not have the 'reports' other than my OWN stats and with HIPAA...um..that's all I'll get for quite some time).

Doc said he's paying a couple thousand a year for studies. I paid 56 dollars couple months ago for a new one that isn't being 'shared' online or on search engines.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 21:35

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Just wanted to say thanks again for the great info. Looks like I am pretty much alone way out here (SOBX) as far as finding any good BHRT practitioners. Will have to keep looking around and saving up some serious $$$ too!!!
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-12, 19:16

BF:

aeroangie, have you googled: Anti aging doctors in _____ and then put cities, towns in in a two hour driving radius ONE WAY from you. You might 'hit on something'.

Also, call every compounding pharmacy within the SAME radius and ask 'Do you do compounded BHRT? And if they say 'yes' ask what doctors are prescribing.

This doc anywhere near you:

Anthony J. Castiglia, M.D.
Billie Castiglia, D.N.M.
Advanced Integrative Medicine
570 Williamson Rd., Suite C
Moorseville, North Carolina 28117
704-799-9740