Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 23:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/147/128 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 79%

This is a little off topic, but Notskinny, I think you need to change your name, because you are almost at goal!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 23:11

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
When I see "My Own" under someone's plan, I often think that this is the reason. I've seen post after post where someone, pointing to Atkins in someone's profile, says "You aren't doing Atkins if you aren't...(fill in the blank)", whether it is following the OWL ladder exactly or cutting out caffeine or they are also counting calories or whatever.

Val
I had a long "discussion with a lady on another forum. Can't remember what food it was, but she kept insisting it was only "allowed" during maintenance, but in fact the book and web site both said it was ok in OWL.

I'm not sure what my profile says, but my diet is based on Atkins and Protein Power, combined with various restrictions and additions based on research and trial and error.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-05, 04:29

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
But of course if you deviate from the path and get 'lost' ... it is pretty silly to blame the map!

Yup...and nobody can accuse you of being lost if you make up your own map. Of course, on the flip side, nobody else can give you directions, either.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-05, 07:58

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I don't do a strict Atkins, but I can't call it "my own" as if I originated it. The proper terminology is probably something like "Modified Atkins" or "Modified South Beach" or whatever. Almost no one here invented a diet out of the blue. We quite probably read the books, read forums, etc.

(As a footnote, I don't care what you call it as long as you eat healthy and are happy with your results!)
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-05, 08:13

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have noticed a distinct trend in people critising atkins followers.

Just because someone chooses to follow Atkins diet doesn't make them a fool.

I may be imagining it, but some people who have 'their own plan' or 'do it their own way', they come across as semi-scornful of atkins devotees. It's a feeling I get that some of the 'own plan' people are smugly arrogant.

please note I said 'some'.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-05, 09:56

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 190/145/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk18sHuny
This is a little off topic, but Notskinny, I think you need to change your name, because you are almost at goal!

Thanks, you're right, but I still fluctuate 5 lbs a day....No Kidding. And I think I'll keep my "moniker" to remind me of where I was. I was called "Tall and Skinny" or "Skinny Minny" all of my life growing up. Didn't put on the weight until my mid to late 30's. Took me awhile to figure out that I was "Not Skinny" anymore!!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-05, 10:04

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 190/145/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC_Dave
I have noticed a distinct trend in people critising atkins followers.

Just because someone chooses to follow Atkins diet doesn't make them a fool.

I may be imagining it, but some people who have 'their own plan' or 'do it their own way', they come across as semi-scornful of atkins devotees. It's a feeling I get that some of the 'own plan' people are smugly arrogant.
please note I said 'some'.

I guess that's part of it for me too. My sister has cut out pasta, potatoes, flour, sugar etc... and thinks she's invented a "better" way of losing weight. She wont read the book and thinks that Atkins=no fruit, veggies, etc... She still thinks Fat will make you fat. I really believe there are alot more "Closet Atkins Followers" that are maybe afraid of being "outed" to the general public.? Please insert South Beach, Protein Power, etc... wherever I mention Atkins, because although I realize that Atkins probably has the worst reputation in the public, this applies to any plan that has been deemed a "Fad" by the media.

Again, Just my opinion...
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-05, 22:27
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I have a hard time saying what my diet is. When I was first diagnosed as diabetic I read some books that said you can control blood sugar by eating low glycemic foods and testing after you eat to see which foods affect you. They weren't weightloss books they were books about how not to get your foot amputated or go blind. I ate Jenny Craig food but skipped the carby ones- french toast, cake. Lost weight like mad. I'd never heard of lowcarb or atkins it was nearly 10 years ago. I guess it could be called the Scared Straight Diet. When my thyroid condition flared and I had to diet again I just ate 35-50 carbs/day started losing weight as my thyroid medication kicked in. I don't know what to call that one either- maybe The Hallejuah my thyroid's good hopefully I'll lose weight diet.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-05, 07:50
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Darn... too many letters to put those in your profile.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-05, 09:08

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Well, I think also, when I say "Atkins" I actaully mean, low-carb, whole food diet.

To me...even if it ain't technically so...Atkins was the first and these other diets are just variations of his ideas. Even "my own" is just a variation of Atkins.

Todays it's "my own" Atkins induction with coffee and an apple.

Tomorrow it's "my own" Atkins induction with a low carb beer.

Etc. etc.

(Of course, I'm sure i'll be told that it's not really Atkins induction, it's Atkins OWL)
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-05, 14:18

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Speaking personally I don't like committing to a plan; I like having freedom to make my own choices without being confined to some rules which are arbitrarily defined and may or may not work for me. I know enough about nutrition to not need it.

That's exactly how i feel. When someone doing "their own" plan asks for advice, especially a specific question, I feel i know enough about nutrition in general, to give them an answer. It doesn't matter what "plan" they are on. In turn, i know what advice to NOT follow, because i know it doesn't work for me- even if it was published in a book.
Sorry, I need to change my stats from "atkins" to "my own."
Not everyone doing their own plan is trying to create an excuse to eat bad things. Some of us have just figured our own bodies out, and don't need to, or want to, adhere to a specific diet plan. And from meeting people on this forum, i know that many of these folks who do their own thing have read A LOT, and really, REALLY know what their talking about.
Also, i don't see a bias against atkins (or specific plan) followers on these forums. I really don't see any hierarchy in that way, at all. I do get irritated when new people are scolded for not reading the book. That seems to happen a lot.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-05, 17:43
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Frankly, I get a little irritated when people are scolded like children for just about anything... regardless of plan. If I see one more person get chastised for eating sugarfree jello, I might scream.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-05, 19:26

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Frankly, I get a little irritated when people are scolded like children for just about anything... regardless of plan.

Since this IS the war zone, i might as well just add-
I'm really tired of people (who are following the atkins diet) being told they aren't gonna make it, when they make tiny mistakes, like eating a carby meal once in a while. You're right, potatofree. They are scolded like children. I mean, for pete's sake, people are scolded, for example, if they eat a couple bites of a phase 2 food during induction...
I don't see that kind of reprimanding very supportive, especially when this is a diet support website. I mean, none of us would be here if it wasn't as hard as all hell to lose weight. I strongly dislike it when individuals are reprimanded for not following atkins perfectly, at all times. So many people call it a "WOL." Some people, i think, have taken it a step or two further- it seems kind of like a religion, and if you aren't complete in devotion to DANDR, you shouldn't be doing it at all. And, of course, 95% of the great people on this website aren't like that, but some are, and i personally have a problem with them telling others that they're gonna fail.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-05, 23:47

Plan: atkins (my own kind)
Stats: 180/172/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 12%

I agree with POTATOFREE~~~ I was reading the journals and MOST of those which worked (or people who REALLY lost the most weight) were those who "allowed themselves" some "leeway" so that they would not feel so deprived! I also noticed that some even admitted to about 3- 6 diet cokes a day and it didn't affect their success..... some also used the Atkins and veggies combination (in the jounals... most did anyway).... some did the Atkins with caffeine..... I guess, the most BASIC thing is that carbohydrates is bad (unless they are low carbs or kow on the GI count nor BOTH) and the best is to stick with protein (SB has unlimited protein) and then u can add the veggies.... and later.. mebbe some "little" fruit.
Hope someone can figure out an Atkins and GI combination!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-05, 06:04

Plan: General
Stats: 170.6/170.6/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Frankly, I get a little irritated when people are scolded like children for just about anything... regardless of plan. If I see one more person get chastised for eating sugarfree jello, I might scream.

I would have to agree with you there!!! I dont feel the need to chastise anyone, unless of course they literally ask for a kick in the rump!! ha-ha

K