Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#256   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-06, 07:11

Plan: atkins and meat and egg
Stats: 237/215/185 Male 6-1
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Just discovered this thread

I just found this thread,although a few of the postings I've read before when I googled low-carb cycling.I originaly started low carbing in 2000,wasn't much support or low-carb goodies out there in those days ( that was probally a good thing,,,real food is where its at).To make a long story short I fell off the bandwagon and on the breadwagon and gained 45lbs mostly on Harpoon India Pale Ale and Pizza.Well I'm back and have lost 10lbs in the past 5 weeks or so and am losing 1lb a week avg. now. My forum name is jjsinglesp but thats only because I wasn't allowed enough letters to finish my online name JJsinglespeed, I mountain bike on a Vail Cycle Works Mega-one single speed mountain bike.I began cycling in 1970 and have road raced,mountain bike raced,commuted,charity rides,you name it.At 51 and 30 odd years of competive cycling I don't really feel the need to race any more but! I'm gonna train for a local MTB race in Sept. Black Bear www.iplayoutside.com so I'll be checking in from time to time and again its great to see others doing what I do-----JJ
www.vailcycleworks.com
Sponsored Links
  #257   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-06, 13:06

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi, nice to meet another cyclist. I do on-road rather than off-road. I used to do long events, like the Dublin-Belfast maracycle, but these days I do the school run from the bike, with one or more children on the back.
  #258   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-06, 14:30

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hello to both of you! Good to have some more low-carbing cyclists around. I'm gearing up for the season now - just had my bikes tuned up and my fiancee and I went for a great - albeit short - ride yesterday.

In the off-season, I've been doing spinning classes when I can and find they improve strength and aerobic conditioning - still not as good as real cycling, but hey, sometimes it's all you can do...
  #259   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-06, 22:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/259/225 Male 71inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

I'm new to the board, and am also an avid cyclist. I posted a question on the Atkins page about cycling and low carb. I do long distance, metric's and centuries, and yesterday on a 45 mile training ride I bonked. First time. I've only been riding since last September but have logged about 1500 miles. I just started on Atkins last week, and need some advice as to how I can lc and still ride long distance. Any thoughts on Maltodextrine, and Sugar free GNU?
Thanks
  #260   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-06, 12:45

Plan: atkins and meat and egg
Stats: 237/215/185 Male 6-1
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Hey C.B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbsBeGon
Hello to both of you! Good to have some more low-carbing cyclists around. I'm gearing up for the season now - just had my bikes tuned up and my fiancee and I went for a great - albeit short - ride yesterday.

In the off-season, I've been doing spinning classes when I can and find they improve strength and aerobic conditioning - still not as good as real cycling, but hey, sometimes it's all you can do...

What part of Co. you from,if you noticed my main bike is a Vail Cycle Works,
made by Jack Rossman out of Eagle.If you ever need a good custom steel bike give him a yell and tell him JJ sent ya
  #261   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-06, 12:52
Registered Member

Plan: Whey Protein & Skim Milk
Stats: 240/150/160 Male 66 inches
BF:No Thanks!
Progress: 113%

Quote:
Originally Posted by waklee1
I'm new to the board, and am also an avid cyclist. I posted a question on the Atkins page about cycling and low carb. I do long distance, metric's and centuries, and yesterday on a 45 mile training ride I bonked. First time. I've only been riding since last September but have logged about 1500 miles. I just started on Atkins last week, and need some advice as to how I can lc and still ride long distance. Any thoughts on Maltodextrine, and Sugar free GNU?
Thanks

Welcome to the Boards,

You may want to supplement with a little
carby food during a ride to make sure you
don't 'bonk.' If you are doing aerobic exercise
to the tune of 40 or more miles a day, it shouldn't
hurt your low carbing. Just my opinion.

As I indicated in another thread, I am usually
ok if half way out I eat a banana or two (carbs and
potassium) and something a little salty for the sodium.
That and a diet coke and I am good to go the distance.
  #262   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-06, 18:12
Registered Member

BF:

Someone mentioned on another post that there is lo carb gnu. Does anyone know anything about this? I've never seen it, and my local bike shop hasn't heard of it.
  #263   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-06, 18:23
Registered Member

BF:

On a post on page 2 of this thread someone put up a link to articles that atkins had about eating carbs either before or during excercise that last longer than an hour. I tried the links and they don't work. Anyone have the hardcopy text that they can scan and or email to me.
thanks
  #264   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 16:06

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Targetted ketogenic Diets mean eating carbs before and after exercise. The amount and type depend on the intensity and duration of the exercise. If you are not planning to do much work above 65-70% intensity, you don't need any extra carbs. If you are, you need enough to fuel the difference between what the fats in your diet can supply, and your workout needs.

However, everyone is different, so you'll need to experiment to see what works best for you.

For instance, if you were planning a fast three hour cycle, then you might take in 50g or so of a low-gi carb like oatmeal. If you are doing boxing or karate or something similar, then you might go for 20-30g of a higher-gi carb beforehand. If you are planning a hard lifting session, you probably won't need as much, since you'll have rests between sets, so 20g should be plenty.

Afterwards, you can take another protein and carb meal. After lifting, I strongly recommend a shake of whey and dextrose (about 30g whey, 10-15g dextrose). This should be absorbed by the body so rapidly, it won't affect ketosis.
  #265   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 20:04
Registered Member

Beautiful day for a bike ride
in the suburbs of Southern California
today. it was cold for SC at 55 degrees
but the sun was shining bright and the
wind was blowing about 15 to 20 miles
an hour. No smog. Good Tunes on the
mp3 player and it was pure bliss.
  #266   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 21:15

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedgoudy
Beautiful day for a bike ride
in the suburbs of Southern California
today. it was cold for SC at 55 degrees
but the sun was shining bright and the
wind was blowing about 15 to 20 miles
an hour. No smog. Good Tunes on the
mp3 player and it was pure bliss.
My ride today was in subfreezing temperatures. Went to the grocery, liquor store, and building supply center. The ride was enjoyable despite the cold, beats driving anyday.
  #267   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 21:06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
My ride today was in subfreezing temperatures. Went to the grocery, liquor store, and building supply center. The ride was enjoyable despite the cold, beats driving anyday.

Yes, I know us folks in Southern California
are spoiled. It even makes it all the more
incredible that you ride in such inclimate
weather. As long as I am bundled up I
don't mind riding in 35 or 45 degree weather
but yesterday I got a bit cold with the wind
and the 55 degree temperature since I was
in shorts and a t-shirt.

I sure wish I was close enough to ride some
of those mountain areas in Colorado tho, at
least during the summer. That must be
beautiful and a truly nice ride.
  #268   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 11:37
Registered Member

BF:
Default Spinnervals DVD

Wow I just did a spinnervals DVD, #1.0 45min High intensity, and man did it kick my butt. I ususally do long distance rides, but at nights I don't want to ride the trainer for 2 hours to do 40 miles. In doing the dvd you only ride about 8miles, but it's all high intensity high gear intervals. Sweat was pouring off my body. Does anyone have any experience with this, or any other spinnerval dvds? Are they better for weight loss than long distance or not?
thanks
sean
  #269   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 20:10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waklee1
Wow I just did a spinnervals DVD, #1.0 45min High intensity, and man did it kick my butt. In doing the dvd you only ride about 8miles, but it's all high intensity high gear intervals. Sweat was pouring off my body.
sean

Congratulations bud!

If you can get in the habit of working out
like that several times a week, that weight
will be off in a much shorter time.

And when you get ready to ride on the street
your legs will be strong enough that you will
be able to ride long and far and even find a
group to ride with if you want.

I personally ride alone. I don't like being
the huskie that is stare'n at another's butt
end while I do my rides. It makes for a
better sense of adventure and accomplishment
for me to ride solo. I dust a few kids once in
a while but always get my come uppance from
some young or old rider that sneaks up on me.

Riding bicycles is a great form of aerobic exercise
and I find it very enjoyable. Further, it is something
you can do all your life. We just gotta keep our eyes
out for the BUS or TRUCK that is out to run us down
and we will be ok.
  #270   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 08:50
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Ned. I already ride on the roads, I'm a member of Team in Training. I rode El Tour de Tucson last Nov, 109miles, and am riding the Tahoe Century in June. My wife also rides with the team, so I use the spinnerval dvds to supplement when I have to stay home and watch the kids.
Riding with team in training is great since they take anyone and train them to ride a century. Last july I had never ridden more than 25 miles in a single stretch. Now, I don't feel warmed up until about mile 20, except that damn dvd. I was the biggest guy on the team last season, and I still beat quite a few people across the finish line in Tucson. Now if I can drop the 75lbs I'm working on I'll just be that much better.