Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2536   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 06:54

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
I also have prime I don't know if that matters. I think you'll get yours very soon!!!

Oh yes, I could not live without Prime. I've had Prime for years, since all you got was free 2-day shipping, but now I love the streaming video too. Great for when the grandkids come over.
Sponsored Links
  #2537   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 08:46
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Was reading this from Woo yesterday, and wondered what the opinion here was on what she has to say on fasting.

http://itsthewooo.blogspot.co.uk/20...ut-fung-is.html
  #2538   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 09:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Interesting as always from the woo. Written back in mid January, before she knew JM lost half of weight as muscle, and Fung just posted his 7 day fast as OK for anyone overweight!
Totally agree with her "how does JM know he is IR?" The exact question I asked him at the LC support group...what is he testing? Dr Fung doesn't use the fasting insulin anymore...So how do you know the IR is healed? Really did not get an answer.
Need to re-read her points on very low insulin and lack of weight loss.
  #2539   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 10:00

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I would be more likely to pay attention to her if she didn't resort to name calling. It so offends me that I have no desire to listen to anything else she says.

Jean
  #2540   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 10:11
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I would be more likely to pay attention to her if she didn't resort to name calling. It so offends me that I have no desire to listen to anything else she says.

Jean
Jean, I also object to the fact that (whoever the writer is) she? can neither spell nor type and is still being taken seriously. I don't like anything about the information/opinion offered or the name calling and ranting. Unable to take this seriously. Such a turnoff.
  #2541   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 10:51

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
FWIW, JM looks less like he is on deaths door lately. His skin color is darker, suggesting his anemia is corrected. TBH I think he is back on hormone replacement/ TRT. He's growing a beard and his piglet face is not so soft. Personally, I suspect he went back on TRT so he wouldn't lose absurd amounts of lean tissue during his anticipated starvation ventures.

I like this part--she thinks Jimmy looks better since he's been fasting, better enough that she thinks he must be on testosterone.

I think we need a period of refeeding, and another dexa, before saying that he lost half of his weight on the fast as muscle.

I'd have to go back and watch the video for his dexa before the 30 days fast, but I seem to recall him saying at that point that his lean mass showed as being 10 pounds higher for lean mass than his previous dexa scan that he did after a long time on nutritional ketosis. He did two previous extended fasts, between these two dexa's, I think they were both 17 days long, with extended periods of refeeding after each, before that 30 day fast.

Nutritional ketosis, lean mass equals X
Seventeen day fast, refeed, seventeen day fast, refeed, lean mass=X+10
Thirty day fast, no refeed, lean mass equals X again.

I do think she might be right about his insulin sensitivity--his fat cells are likely fairly sensitive to insulin, this is a problem when fighting obesity. At the same time, these things are relative. Liz and Jey report fasting blood insulin levels in the low single digits, Jimmy's insulin levels are in the mid-teens. Not that high, but enough of a difference to be considered a risk factor, and a pretty high insulin level for a non-diabetic who's been on a ketogenic diet and done as much fasting as he has.

Very insulin sensitive fat cells might mean that only a very slight systemic insulin resistance (liver etc.) might be necessary for insulin to be high enough to prevent weight loss.
  #2542   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 17:54

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

The Woo...that woman is really abrasive.
  #2543   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 18:26

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
Was reading this from Woo yesterday, and wondered what the opinion here was on what she has to say on fasting.

http://itsthewooo.blogspot.co.uk/20...ut-fung-is.html

I kind of like reading stuff like that - It's a challenge and there is truth in there too. Also, if you look at the top of the page you'll have an idea of what you are getting into "One Extremely Disrespectful Zealot!" subtitle.

And she concludes;

Quote:
...IF (Intermittent Fasting) is a practice I don't particularly support, but I do think it can work for certain people. This train wreck is not even in the same spectrum as IF. This is at best, a completely ill fated quick fix fad diet, or an eating disorder flying under the radar at worst.

() are mine above.

I don't consider extended IF a "quick way to loose weight". My exploration is to look at my mind and also see if there is value to my body according to measurable metrics. I'm trying to first, learn to eat sensibly and sustainably and second, see how IF affects it. I see in my future, if I'm granted one, that fasting will be a periodic occurrence, much like how it's used in a more religious context.

I will read more articles from this person, a bunch of interesting looking ones in the right side bar.
  #2544   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 19:48

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I have no problem with the idea of using IF or just plain water fasting as a quick way to lose weight. When appropriate.
Woo says;
Quote:
Starvation is associated with rapid regain of lost weight upon refeeding, with EXTRA fat, that may sometimes be permanent.

Notice this says may sometimes be permanent.

http://www.drsharma.ca/will-dieting-make-you-fatter

Professor Abdul Dulloo is probably the biggest name when it comes to studying the concept of body fat overshoot caused by dieting, Dr. Sharma writes about Dulloo's ideas here.

Quote:
I asked him how much evidence there is to support the common notion that losing weight makes you fatter – something many dieters claim to have experienced. Indeed, both in animals and humans, weight loss, as a rule, is followed by a more rapid regain of body fat than lean body mass (i.e. preferential catch-up fat) than of lean body mass, as a result of which body composition post-weight regain results in a greater proportion of fat mass than before. But does this increased “fatness” persist over time? This is where Dulloo made me aware of a recent paper he published in Obesity Reviews that examines this question. What his analysis of prospective studies on this issue revealed is that paradoxically, people within a the normal weight range appear much more prone to weight gain over time with dieting than people who already have overweight or obesity. Indeed as he points out,

“…it is dieting to lose weight in people who are in the healthy normal range of body weight, rather than in those who are overweight or obese, that most strongly and consistently predict future weight gain.”

Quote:
In fact, it appears that lean people overshoot in terms of weight gain because the state of hyperphagia (in response to weight loss) appears to persist well beyond complete recovery of fat mass and interestingly until fat free mass is fully recovered (which may take months during which time fat gain continues).

One study Dulloo looked at to show this hyperphagia in lean people who have been dieting is the Ancel Keys headed Minnesota Starvation study. The guys in that study became downright skeletal. It wasn't fasting, it was semi-starvation. They simply didn't have the reserves for the degree of weightloss that they experienced.

This isn't about people who lose weight aggressively becoming eventually fatter when they refeed. It's about people who lose weight aggressively who never should have lost weight in the first place--basically, anorexics, or people in mid-century semi-starvation studies. People who dipped way too far into their lean mass, to the point where further dieting would have put their lives at risk.
  #2545   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 00:48

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

"Fung is a menace who must be stopped"? Dang, this Woo chick doesn't pull any punches.
  #2546   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 04:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Woo is rude, abrasive and can goes way beyond normal civility at times (she is on a low dose of lithium) but she is a nurse and seems to have spent much of her young adult life researching obesity/figuring out her own. When she isn't insulting the other nutrition nutters (assume the e-thin is Carbsane?) she has thought-provoking ideas scattered about her posts. Other rants like hers I won't read, but she has nuggets in there worth ignoring the worst of the writing.
Her insistence that weight reduction leaves one super-sensitive to insulin, not insulin resistant, is more than a little intriguing. What if IR doesn't exist at all, or only at high BG levels? What if being insulin "deficient" messes up weight loss more than having too much? Without spending hours looking at the research she references, I do want to know more about this.

About the DEXA...Dr Westman mentioned he doesn't use it because the lean mass number includes inter-muscular water and the hydration status impacts results. So maybe that 10 pound muscle loss was really only 6? He also mentioned at that Tampa metabolism conference some early research that IR can be explained through BG levels...so "stay tuned".
Lee added Woo's post the same day as Dr Fung's final fasting video, encouraging 7 day fasts without a whole lot of cautions about who should use it. I was a bit turned off by some of his comments and the slick way it was presented myself. So for various reasons, woo's thoughts on fasting are worth considering.
The Woo also comments as Jane Plain around the LC world.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Feb-15-16 at 05:41.
  #2547   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 05:52

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Woo is rude, abrasive and can goes way beyond normal civility at times (she is on a low dose of lithium) but she is a nurse and seems to have spent much of her young adult life researching obesity/figuring out her own. When she isn't insulting the other nutrition nutters (assume the e-thin is Carbsane?) she has thought-provoking ideas scattered about her posts. Other rants like hers I won't read, but she has nuggets in there worth ignoring the worst of the writing.

In my opinion she is beyond rude and abrasive. I don't care what psyoactive drugs she uses, she is responsible for what she says. She uses the term "retard" which is considered hate speech by the community of people with intellectual disabilities, their friends and supporters. They call it the "r" word and have a campaign to stop its use

http://www.r-word.org

and she compares Jason Fung to the Nazis, another rhetorical tactic which is cruel and without merit. The fact that she calls herself disrespectful doesn't make it ok for her to be disrespectful just like calling oneself a bigot doesn't make it ok to be a bigot.

She may very well have interesting and worthwhile ideas. I am sickened by her lack of civil discourse and can't go beyond how offensive I find her.

Jean
  #2548   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 08:12

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

Marty Kendall has a new article up:
http://optimisingnutrition.com/2016...s-a-fuel-gauge/

I do like the idea of a fuel gauge.
  #2549   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 08:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 307/286/168 Male 67
BF:
Progress:
Default Type 2 diabetes

Has anyone here with type 2 diabetes done both a 3 day or longer water fast and AFD for there diabetes. Did the longer fast help you more ?
  #2550   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 08:52
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Her insistence that weight reduction leaves one super-sensitive to insulin, not insulin resistant, is more than a little intriguing. What if IR doesn't exist at all, or only at high BG levels? What if being insulin "deficient" messes up weight loss more than having too much? Without spending hours looking at the research she references, I do want to know more about this.

About the DEXA...Dr Westman mentioned he doesn't use it because the lean mass number includes inter-muscular water and the hydration status impacts results. So maybe that 10 pound muscle loss was really only 6? He also mentioned at that Tampa metabolism conference some early research that IR can be explained through BG levels...so "stay tuned".
Lee added Woo's post the same day as Dr Fung's final fasting video, encouraging 7 day fasts without a whole lot of cautions about who should use it. I was a bit turned off by some of his comments and the slick way it was presented myself. So for various reasons, woo's thoughts on fasting are worth considering.
The Woo also comments as Jane Plain around the LC world.

I'm always interested in ideas that challenge my current viewpoint (I'm a big fan of IF and would do more prolonged fasting if I didn't have an eating disorder - sadly long fasts are a no-no for me), and having spent my adult life working with people with mental health problems, personality disorders and learning difficulties, I barely notice the abrasiveness any more. It's great to have everyone weigh in on alternative viewpoints, as there are so many smart people here

And I'll have to go back and read, but I thought she said 'ketard' whatever that's supposed to mean. I also suspect at least some of the spelling is deliberately wrong.
Closed Thread