Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-10, 15:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/175/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 60%

[QUOTE=Nancy LC]I never seem to overindulge on the lemon egg custard I make. It is sweet, creamy, lemony... marvelous stuff. But I don't go nuts.

do you have recipes?? I love lemon anything!
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-10, 15:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrn122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I never seem to overindulge on the lemon egg custard I make. It is sweet, creamy, lemony... marvelous stuff. But I don't go nuts.

do you have recipes?? I love lemon anything!

Yeah, lets see I think I posted it here before. You might also want to look at the index here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=217797

Here's the recipe with sous vide instructions but if you don't have the equipment then you use a double boiler and slowly heat the custard in it, stirring/whisking constantly until it gets to about 160'. It'll be pretty thick, definitely coating a spoon but it won't be solid. You need to make sure you don't heat it too quickly or it'll curdle the eggs. It usually took about 5-10 minutes to get it up to temperature.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Apr-05-10 at 16:18.
  #228   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-10, 16:16

Plan: vlc
Stats: 272/272/152 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:let me look, yep
Progress: 0%

I have been following Jimmy Moore and am pretty interested in his eggfest and besides having a big fatty steak for my Easter dinner have been doing an eggfest with some others since last Monday....besides that have been very low carb with meat/eggs only since 2/1/10 and loving it, lost all my weight since then....not quite sure how long i will continue eggs only or when I will add meat back in, maybe at the end of this second week...seems like my weight loss was better when the meat was there, we will see how this week goes....Stacy
  #229   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-10, 16:20

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

but, rightnow, if you couldn't care less, then why would you bother?
  #230   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-10, 19:02
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51
but, rightnow, if you couldn't care less, then why would you bother?

Yes, that is the hell of it, isn't it. If I have some emotional 'want' I know that my bio/neurochemistry are still trying to feed on sweet. If I don't have that want, I know that eating the sweet taste will not derail me. But of course, if I don't have that want, there is not a lot of impetus for making it at all.

I might do it solely because do like the taste of it, and it's variety. It's simply that it is not any big deal to me. For example I could make an LC cheesecake, eat a single bite, shrug, and put the rest away for later. It's a weird space. I've just learned that my body is pretty clear about what's up with it if I bother listening.
  #231   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-10, 13:45

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
So in short, what it boils down to is:
* If I really WANT it, with a sense of anticipation, I can't have it.
* If I really couldn't care less, it's ok to have it.
* If I pointedly DON'T want anything, with a sense of rejection, I probably need some.

I know this is hilarious and stupid but that is really what I've come (via experience) to think is true for my body.

Aw man! That sounds about right for me, too. For sex as well as food.
  #232   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-10, 11:01
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Taken from JMs menu journal 4/8/10:

Quote:

NOTE: It's the end of Week 4 of my eggfest which is winding down coming to an end in a couple more days. I'd like to share just a few of the major changes in my mindset and actions that have happened in me from then until now and my hope that these changes will continue to take hold.

4 weeks ago, I was severely addicted to the taste of "sweet" consuming artificial sweeteners.
Today, I have NO desire for consuming anything artificially sweetened.

4 weeks ago, I felt like I had to have "low-carb" treats to feel satisfied.
Today, I have NO desire for consuming anything other than real, whole foods.

4 weeks ago, I was frustrated with my inability to shed the pounds even eating low-carb.
Today, I have confidence that I'm putting my body in the best possible position for weight loss.

4 weeks ago, I looked at food for the pleasure that it would provide to me.
Today, I see food as merely fuel for my body and find enjoyment in the things of life.

4 weeks ago, I was disappointed that I'd allowed myself to approach 300 pounds again.
Today, I'm sure I'll be back down to my original goal weight of 230 or lower by the end of 2010.

The results of my "eggfest" after 28 days were pretty much what I expected them to be. After weighing in at 289 pounds on March 12, 2010, I lost 14.2 pounds in week one, 6.4 pounds in week two, 3.8 pounds in week three and ANOTHER 2.2 POUNDS for a total of 26.6 pounds shed in just four weeks!

As I move to add in some new fresh, real, whole foods to my diet beginning Saturday night, I will be moving slowly with this. The last thing I want to do is unravel all the changes I've been making by introducing too much, too fast.

Taken from JMs menu journal 4/9/10

Quote:

Someone made the comment that the biggest thing that happened to me during my "eggfest" experiment hasn't been the weight loss, but the removal of artificial sweeteners, especially diet sodas, from my menus. I couldn't agree more. Everyone has been congratulating me on finally having the willpower to beat this, but I disagree. If it was mere willpower, then I would have done it a LONG time ago. And believe me, I have tried! I don't know if it was the intensity of doing an egg-only diet or what that took away my cravings for them, but they're just completely gone now. In fact, I haven't drank anything except for water for 17 days now since I had my last diet soda and what a feeling that is. I don't even desire anything sweet on my tastebuds and for this sweet-a-holic that is a miracle in and of itself. People who don't have such a "sweet" addiction could never understand how difficult this is for people like me and others who deal with it, but somehow the "eggfest" has empowered me to do it. And doing it I am.

Taken from JMs menu journal 4/10/10
Quote:

You'll notice the carbs are still very low, fat is pretty high, and protein moderate. That's still by design. What I've discovered about myself is I need this high-fat, adequate protein, very low-carb approach to keep my hunger and cravings at bay. I'm not saying everyone has to eat this way, but this is how I need to eat to keep me on the straight and narrow path I now find myself on. It's not gonna be something I can do sloppily and hope to see results. I'll need to stick with the frequent meals, the right macronutrient ratios, eating real whole foods the majority of the time, and keeping calories around 2,000 daily in order to get the results to my weight and health that I'm looking for. This journey has only just begun.

This is what I'd say to Jimmy right now:
Jimmy you're on the right track. Keep moving forward with the insights and knowledge you have gained (pardon the pun) in the past 30 days. Do not repeat the insanity of thinking you can EVER go back to the way you ate before (i.e., LC with large amounts of SF soda and daily intake of frankenfoods).

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #233   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 08:43
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Taken from JMs menu blog dated 4/25/10:

Quote:

...so the "eggfest" is continuing to reap huge dividends for me and will continue to do so now that I've transitioned from that to a mostly real, whole foods low-carb nutritional approach. I'm not craving diet sodas or sweet of any kind and it's all because of the eggfest.

So far JM has lost 27 pounds and eliminated his cravings. I can def give him a big WOOOOO HOOOOO!

But I'm going to be a bit of a party pooper here (yeah, there's always one )

I was really hyped for him until I got to that last sentence. I want to say to JM, did it ever occur to you it's not because of the "eggfest" but because you are eating clean???? Jeesh. (I need a smile smacking it's head)

...or am I just being snarky this morning because it's monday and should be happy for his sucess no matter how it came about. (OK, I'll vote being snarky )

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #234   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 08:59

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
[b]I was really hyped for him until I got to that last sentence. I want to say to JM, did it ever occur to you it's not because of the "eggfest" but because you are eating clean???? Jeesh. (I need a smile smacking it's head)
Well know knows what it actually is? I do think Jimmy probably did experience some carb creep which could not have been good for him, and he was eating lots of stuff like Dreamfields Pasta. And I agree the diet sodas could not have been good for him!

I do agree his diet needed cleaning up! But was it this? Was it that? He might still have done well with a less clean diet. If he eliminated the Dreamfields but kept the diet soda? Eliminated the diet soda but kept the Dreamfields?

That's why this stuff makes one crazy. I've lost 10 pounds since getting back from the Low Carb cruise even without eating as "clean" as Jimmy. I still have some artificial sweetener hear and there. I don't think, no matter how clean I ate, I could even have lost 27 pounds in such a short time, so gotta hand it to Jimmy there. When he gets it right the pounds do seem to drop off, and he has lost more than half of what he had regained. Good for him!
  #235   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 09:25
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:

So far JM has lost 27 pounds and eliminated his cravings. I can def give him a big WOOOOO HOOOOO!

But I'm going to be a bit of a party pooper here (yeah, there's always one )

I was really hyped for him until I got to that last sentence. I want to say to JM, did it ever occur to you it's not because of the "eggfest" but because you are eating clean???? Jeesh. (I need a smile smacking it's head)

...or am I just being snarky this morning because it's monday and should be happy for his sucess no matter how it came about. (OK, I'll vote being snarky )

Snarky or not Lisa....IMO, you hit it on the head.

And as far as I'm concerned Debbie, Dreamfields pasta is way worse that any diet soda in the world.....dropping that alone would account for weight loss. Its still a highly processed semolina flour from wheat....bad stuff even if it is coated with a starch blocker that may or may not work.

I did use it(Dreamfields) to keep myself on plan as I lost my weight, a 2 oz portion once a month is what got me through. But I've somehow managed to eliminate from my diet totally since being in maintenance.
Changing the way we eat permanently doesn't happen overnight...I'm still changing. Its an on going process.
  #236   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 09:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
And as far as I'm concerned Debbie, Dreamfields pasta is way worse that any diet soda in the world.....dropping that alone would account for weight loss.
I agree! I ain't never gonna eat that stuff. I recently signed up for Jimmy's blog's 5th anniversary give-away contest.

I saw that one of the "prizes" being offered was Dreamfields pasta! Eeek, in my entry form I said I'd rather win nothing than that - but if I did win it I suppose I could find a food bank to donate it to since I would never eat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I did use it(Dreamfields) to keep myself on plan as I lost my weight, a 2 oz portion once a month is what got me through.
I've never been a fan of pasta so have not felt the need to try to have any to stay on plan. Not to mention that wheat/gluten does not sit well with me. But we all have to find what works for us - so it if helps then I guess it's good it's there, but Jimmy was having it way more than once a month, more like once or twice a week.
  #237   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 11:29

Plan: Optimal diet/One free day
Stats: 300/175/165 Male 5ft9in
BF:
Progress: 93%

He was actually eating pasta every day.Dreamfields lol....stuff scares me and I eat bread,tortillas etc.

I commented to Jimmy on his forums to keep with the two diet sodas per day since he lost most of the weight drinking them.Being off them is good for health and I am glad he got rid of them but I just hope he will not revert back to blaming diet sodas for his weight gain.

He is eating meat and eggs or basically VLC.He will never admit that this could be why the weight dropped off.Nor will he admit that counting calories could be why.Question remains is what will the final verdict be on his weightloss.
  #238   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 04:49
Registered Member

Plan: ZC
Stats: 140/116/110 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:

Lisa

I want to point out to him that it is because (for him anyway) that he's eating ZC. And several people in the comments of his menu blog have tried to do the same thing. But he will dance around that, counting partial grams of carbs in eggs and cheese, anything rather than admit what Charles told him 2 years ago.
  #239   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 06:33

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

You know it IS possible for reactions to change to things after awhile on low-carb. I started to be sensitive to cow dairy after about 3 years eating tons of the stuff and gained loads of weight - most probably due to that. I had been losing eating the stuff before. Something changed for me. Maybe his reactions to diet soda changed as well? I was the same, always saying 'but I've been eating cow cheese all along and it's never made me gain before'. People's reactions can change over time.
  #240   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 06:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOPS
You know it IS possible for reactions to change to things after awhile on low-carb. I started to be sensitive to cow dairy after about 3 years eating tons of the stuff and gained loads of weight - most probably due to that. I had been losing eating the stuff before. Something changed for me.
Yeah, I had a friend who lost 170 pounds on low carb. It took her several years and many long stalls - and each time she seemed to have to cut out more foods to be able to start losing. For her first 100+ pounds she kept losing steadily eating anything LC that she wanted, but eventually she had to cut out most nuts, most veggies, most meats, eggs, dairy. Towards the end she was basically eating only chicken, walnuts and a couple different green veggies to maintain her weight. If she added *anything else* in she started to gain again.