Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2356   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 14:16

Plan: CAD
Stats: 242/189.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Myke - Both accomplishments are great. You are an inspiration.

Doris - Welcome back. Your story sounds like mine. I am viewing it this time as a way of life rather than a diet.

SummerSlim - I used to drink lemon water... lots of health benefits. I usually order it when we go out to eat.

Joan - I still use drink milk at RM. I'm giving up wheat not only for weight loss but also to lower blood sugar and get rid of joint pain I never had until recently.

I went to a diet doctor years ago that put me on his diet plan with loads of bread... very gluten/wheat/grain foods but then they didn't know it could cause weight gain. I went back 2 weeks later and came home in tears because I followed his diet perfectly, but he really let me have it accusing me of cheating. And now we are learning how it causes so many diseases besides weight gain. Go figure.
Sponsored Links
  #2357   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 15:06

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bero48
Hi All, I did the CALP program back in 2006 and dont know why I stopped. I had great success lost over 25 lbs. I am back and this is my first day I cant wait for the food cravings to stop. Hope to see somemore people I remember.

Doris

Welcome back!
  #2358   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-12, 08:04

Plan: CAD (original version)
Stats: 154/153/135 Female 5'7"
BF:33%>30%>19%
Progress: 5%

Welcome back bero48
It seems this is an easy diet, I don't know why we ever stop, myself included!
  #2359   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-12, 17:14

Plan: IR
Stats: 220/217/175 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi everyone and thanks for the welcomes. What plan are you all on? I also wanted to mention for the Richard and Rachel Heller followers I noticed on Amazon that they have a book out since I was here it was written in 2010 called Stress Eating. I just got it on my Kindle and have started reading it like these kind of books in real books so will order it in book form easier to move around. If anyone gets a chance and you are doing the CAD/CALP program if you could check out my menus in my journal and give me some feed back I would appreciate it.

Patricia, I remember you from my first time around glad your still here.

SummerSlim, Myke, Patty I am looking forward to getting to know you tks for the welcome.

Doris
  #2360   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-12, 02:04

Plan: Looking around...
Stats: 215/215/140 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hello Bero

The Wheat Belly book is an eye opener about the problems with wheat. There is also a very active Facebook page. However the diet recommended in the book is a pretty standard low carb diet. But it's absolutely worth a read if you're interested in reading about wheat.
Actually it was a link to a blog on the Wheat Belly Facebook page that brought me to CALP, so that's a good thing!
  #2361   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-12, 06:16

Plan: IR
Stats: 220/217/175 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Goodmorning everyone hope we all have a great op day.

Hi BonDepart thanks for the welcome I will have to check that book out. I am always interested in reading books that can help me lose and for my overall health. Sounds like we are both new to this even though I have done CALP before its been awhile and it seems all new and need to adjust. Hope to chat later.

Doris
  #2362   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-12, 08:08

BF:

I got the Wheat Belly book and I'm really glad I got it as it is a real eye opener as to why I have problems with weight loss and I definitely will be going wheat/gluten free. He recommends using flaxseed, nut butters and flours instead of wheat. He stresses veggies which are always healty and said eggs, meat and fats are good for us not bad. I can see why low carb works so well. He said he used Wheat Belly in the name of the book but that wheat damages so many organs in the body and leads to inflammation of joints that he could have used any organ in the title. He had been on what we are taught Diabetic/Heart Assoc calls a healthy lowfat complex carb diet and his wife took a picture of him sleeping on the beach. This is when he realized that not only had he developed diabetes, but he was amazed to see that he also had what used to be called a beer belly and he didn't drink and he worked out like crazy. Oh and he is a cardiology prevention doctor. He wondered what his patience thought when they saw him and he told them to eat healthy.

I am amazed at the foods that he says raises blood sugar... one is oatmeal . Interesting since I learned that I could not eat oatmeal, remember? He said that the complex carbs we are told to eat causes our blood sugar to rise higher. Within 2 - 3 months he was no longer diabetic. His fbs was 84, but when he eats oatmeal or complex carbs his blood sugar skyrockets. In fact, by using the GI testing, he found that the simple carbs did not raise his bs as much as the complex carbs. However, he still says eat neither one. So I'm not going to eat them even during RM. He said some of his patients who eat them occasionally find it isn't worth it because they can experience the bad feelings again from just a minor indulgence. Takes about a day or longer to get rid of the bad feelings.

I got up this morning and made a flaxseed/almond meal cereal. The recipe in the book was flaxseed coconut cereal, but I didn't have coconut. I guess the kids used it all. No lowfat anything either... use full fat cheese (which can be used for snacks as well as nuts) and if you use milk use whole milk, almond or soy although some soy products can be gluten. Raw nuts are unlimited. That will surely take care of any irregularity. He also says that when we eat wheat that it causes us to want to go back for more. Fruit is limited. What ahs made wheat so bad is that it has been cross breeded to the point that the chromosomes have been so changed that it is not the wheat that even our great grandmothers cooked with so it leads to diseases like celiac.
  #2363   ^
Old Fri, Sep-21-12, 07:17

BF:

I thought I would share this recipe I just received on FB from Wheat Belly and thought y'all might like a recipe to make your own ice cream that is diabetic friendly. Haven't made it yet as I don't have the heavy cream, but I really look forward to it because ice cream is one thing I really miss.

VANILLA CUSTARD ICE CREAM

The basic recipe can be altered in an unlimited number of ways, e.g., add 1 cup mixed fresh or frozen berries, 1 cup wild blueberries, dark
chocolate chunks with or without peppermint extract, bing cherries, walnut fragments, etc. Using an inulin-based sweetener, such as the Trader Joe’s stevia, or Swerve, helps generate a custard that is smoother and defrosts to a softer texture when taken out of the refrigerator. Alternatively, a teaspoon of xanthan or guar gum can be used, but I’ve found this still allows the ice cream to acquire the hard consistency of ice when frozen.

Makes 6 servings
Ingredients:
4 egg yolks (large or jumbo eggs)
12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) heavy whipping cream, preferably organic
Sweetener equivalent to 1 cup sugar (I used the stevia + inulin mixture from Trader Joes, 1/3 cup)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Dash ground nutmeg

Place eggs yolks in small saucepan and heat over low-medium heat. With
electric or hand mixer, beat for several minutes until creamy while heating. Keep heat low enough that yolks do not scramble or coagulate but are warm to touch.

Blend in cream, stevia, and salt and blend until well-mixed.
Pour entire mixture into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s directions. (My device required 25 minutes to convert to thick custard texture.)
  #2364   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-12, 13:13

Plan: iDukan, Consolidation
Stats: 174/147/147 Female 5'7"
BF: Goal: < 30%
Progress: 100%

Hi Pattyann,

Good read, I'm sure! I was totally gluten free for 2 years, now I eat just a little. If I have too much I feel awful.

Glad to see you're welcoming fats. Healthy fats are low carb and have good cholesterol. That includes animal fats! Only damaged fats are bad for you, like margarine and heated vegetable oils. I haven't read that book but I'm assuming that's the information you got.
  #2365   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-12, 14:17

BF:

Thanks Joan. It was a good read. I went to the store this morning and got some things for my new way of eating. I also checked out some gluten-free products although he says not to use them. Joan, do you use them?

I also read where someone said that gluten-free foods didn't taste very good however, I did get a cookie that tastes pretty good. I bought unsweetened almond milk and put Stevia in it to make it more palatable and I must say it does taste much better.
  #2366   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-12, 15:53

*Sorry y'all, this got kind of long, if you don't have gluten issues, please skip!*

Pattyann, I tried making all sorts of gluten-free products from scratch. I gave up on yeast breads, they never turned out right. But I became somewhat of a expert at quick breads and muffins, even pie crusts that were flakier than traditional wheat crusts. Obviously I wasn't gluten-free for weight loss! It was truly for other health issues. But feeding 6 kids this way got expensive, even homemade. So now I simply avoid wheat based foods. Potato, rice, and corn products are the carb staples in my home now. I also allow oats. Oats are only a problem if they are contaminated by wheat in a factory, etc. I figure that the gluten content is low, even if it is contaminated. Most of the kids went back to wheat in the last year, mostly for lack of cheap sandwich bread, but I have one daughter that still won't touch it. She does think she's celiac, and like I said, I eat a little now and then out of convenience, but feel much better without it.

When I do splurge on a gluten-free store made product, I go for Pamela's cookies. They are IMHO the best, totally worth the price, and you won't feel like you are settling. Pamela's also has good packaged baking mixes. You could spend a lot of money trying other products, too, but generally they won't be great. If you bake you should eat the item soon, shelf life is poor. Remember, eggs are good for you, including the yolk, no carbs! So eggy, flourless desserts, like mousses and tortes are a great alternative. Or just plain chocolate....dark, with nuts!

Oh, and whatever you do, don't try to make gluten-free stuffing or rolls at Thanksgiving, the relatives will hate you! Just eat more mashed potatoes with gravy, and pumpkin mousse, at RM of course.
  #2367   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-12, 21:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc
*Sorry y'all, this got kind of long, if you don't have gluten issues, please skip!*

Pattyann, I tried making all sorts of gluten-free products from scratch. I gave up on yeast breads, they never turned out right. But I became somewhat of a expert at quick breads and muffins, even pie crusts that were flakier than traditional wheat crusts. Obviously I wasn't gluten-free for weight loss! It was truly for other health issues. But feeding 6 kids this way got expensive, even homemade. So now I simply avoid wheat based foods. Potato, rice, and corn products are the carb staples in my home now. I also allow oats. Oats are only a problem if they are contaminated by wheat in a factory, etc. I figure that the gluten content is low, even if it is contaminated. Most of the kids went back to wheat in the last year, mostly for lack of cheap sandwich bread, but I have one daughter that still won't touch it. She does think she's celiac, and like I said, I eat a little now and then out of convenience, but feel much better without it.

When I do splurge on a gluten-free store made product, I go for Pamela's cookies. They are IMHO the best, totally worth the price, and you won't feel like you are settling. Pamela's also has good packaged baking mixes. You could spend a lot of money trying other products, too, but generally they won't be great. If you bake you should eat the item soon, shelf life is poor. Remember, eggs are good for you, including the yolk, no carbs! So eggy, flourless desserts, like mousses and tortes are a great alternative. Or just plain chocolate....dark, with nuts!

Oh, and whatever you do, don't try to make gluten-free stuffing or rolls at Thanksgiving, the relatives will hate you! Just eat more mashed potatoes with gravy, and pumpkin mousse, at RM of course.

Thanks Joan.
  #2368   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 13:24
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
I think Dr Davis is terrific and when I read WB I wanted to be gluten free- but I don't have the symptoms. so....

Had nice RMs on Sun and Mon- turkey and goat cheese sandwiches with coleslaw and a spinach salad. DH added on rice and dessert.

I went to a new MD in July and he switched around my meds. I did this 4 years ago and gained between 5-10 lbs. It is happening again. I am up 2-5 lbs, depending on the day. I still get back to where I was before making the med changes, but I feel like I am gaining or redistributing or something. I am really being honest with myself- it is not my eating or alcohol or anything like that. It is the meds. So as I am not going to go back, I have to go forward. The only thing I have not looked at is my current exercise, which is not good. I walk 4 days/week adn do weights for 15 minutes- but I think I need to turn it up a lot. I'm thinking about it.
Meanwhile, I am still OP.
4 years ago it all just stopped- and I changed my stats and just moved on. I really don't want to be up- it is not a lot of weight but it feels wrong. I maintained within 5 lbs for almost 5 years- then .....
Tonight's planned RM: spinach, salmon, carrot souffle, water.

Later-
E
  #2369   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 19:59

Eno, that must be so frustrating, especially when you're still on plan and you know it's not your fault. How did you lose the extra weight last time? Did you have to wait until you were off of those particular meds? It sounds like your exercise is good already. You'd probably just gain more muscle weight if you increased it, and that might be even more frustrating.
  #2370   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-12, 06:31

Plan: Looking around...
Stats: 215/215/140 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just checking in. I haven't time to catch up on the thread, will do so shortly.

I've had a gastric flu virus thing. I didn't want to eat for the first couple of days. But when I started to feel better, oh boy have I fallen off the CALP wagon. I'd managed nearly a week on plan, and was showing a good average weight loss of about 5lbs for that week, prior to getting ill. I weighed this morning and appear to have regained about 4 of those.

Struggling to get back OP. I've got the Hellers' book which deals specifically with this problem (The 7 Day low carb rescue and recovery plan)so I must open it... just getting another Day 1 under my belt is proving very tough. Seems like all my motivation has gone.
Closed Thread