Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1921   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-08, 08:43
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Adding in exercise when I was initially losing my weight almost threw me right off. I stopped losing weight for a couple of weeks and also gained a little bit. I almost gave up on the exercise, it was that disheartening when I was living for the scale to go down.

I agree with Mike, the scale is not a good indicator when exercising, it's just hard to remember that.
Sponsored Links
  #1922   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-08, 10:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 138/134.5/130 Female 164 CM
BF:
Progress: 44%

I find that exercise helps me skim off the extra calories that I eat from my weight- i.e. if I think I had too much and then put in an extra hour at the gym on the cardio equipment, I can get away without a gain. That said, it doesn't really help me lose- I've never seen it make the scale actually go down.
  #1923   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-08, 14:09

Plan: PP/Atkins/Transformation
Stats: 305/264/220 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amergin
[QUOTE=ValerieL]Ottawa, where did you get the nutritional value for the asian pear? I haven't had one of those in ages, but they are so good! Or did you just use Japanese pear in Fitday? That looks reasonable.

Valerie,
Try here.
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20XS.html

It's not perfect as I've found the occasional error, but generally fairly good.

Sorry for the late reply.
I used the USDA Nutrition Listing for an Asian pear. Mine are a bit larger than 2.5" and under 3.5" so I made up one in Fitday to be halfway at ...

Total cals: 70
Fat: 0 3 cals
Carbs: 20 - 6 = 14
Fiber: 6
Protein: 2

More than my old PP limit, 10 per meal, but still considered a lower Carb fruit and I often have 2/day. At this count you could even use it as an under 100 cal snack.
  #1924   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-08, 19:26
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I had to eat an hour later than usual and I got so hungry lifting weights I actually felt ill-- after having a protein shake and a meal it took me almost an hour to come out of the fog. I just took some beef short ribs out of the toaster oven, ill have a couple later after they cool.
  #1925   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-08, 19:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 138/134.5/130 Female 164 CM
BF:
Progress: 44%

I'm having a rouuuuugh time with IF lately- I'm down another half pound, but still, it's really only because I've been burning off as much as I can at the gym. I need to get back on track.
I plan on fasting until dinner tomorrow and then for 48 hours the next day until Sunday.
  #1926   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-08, 20:48

BF:

Total: 1653 IF: 19/5
Fat: 115
Carbs: 53 - 21 = 32
Fiber: 21
Protein: 116

2 Asian Pears, small 80% Lindt bar (little too bitter), Garden salad with vinegar and oil, 2 chicken thighs, small sirloin steak. Likely a few more carbs in the seasoning on the meat.

An hour of Volleyball at lunch.

BeautyG,
I did the longer fasts before and was down to 1350/day when averaged out but my metabolism dropped as well after a month at that level. The weight loss stalled and I'm back at it after a month away, but eating well every day with a fair bit of fat included.
  #1927   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-08, 21:18

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm in the middle of my big sleep-schedule shift (begin graveyard Sunday night). I'm moving my feed window at the same time, and my body is just confused as heck. I'm up 2-3lbs and getting hungry at weird times (body not used to being awak at 2am and such). It's almost like having to start IF over again, and I have this suspicion it's going to be a few weeks before I fully adjust.

Also felt bloated and weird today for no reason I could think of, even before I broke fast for the day.
  #1928   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 07:36
Grease is the word!

I awoke hungrier than usual and felt a bit constipated so I had a small grapefruit (laxative) and a handful of almonds-- that should easily last me till dinner. I do shopping and town chores today and eat early on Fridays so that should be no problem. No KettleBell training today since Friday is rest day for me.
  #1929   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 08:39

Plan: .............
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00000
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hi Everyone, So I decided I need to do this IF thing, I think It might really benefit me, Im already low carbing, and I like high fat almost pure meat and eggs but everytime I plan out my meals I seem to end up screwing up! sabotaging myself etc and like most I can't stop eating when I start unless I feel very full and satisfied to the max lol or Im so busy during the day I have to go go go, than I dont think to much, but also Im a recovering bulimic and this idea of fasting than almost semi binegeing but on healthy food/low carb might just do the trick! So Im starting today I ate my last meal around 9pm last night my schedule will be to fast till 6pm tonight, than have breakfast and possibly lunch till 12pm tomorrow as long as I dont over sleep, than fast till 6pm the following day and repeat so like a 18/30 deal, kinda taken from Eades with a larger fasting window, hope this isn't too extreme I really wanna look good for this stupid bikini season I think everyone can relate...also is it ok to drink some coffee during the fasting period and with maybe some splenda??? ok any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  #1930   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 13:15

BF:

Many of us go with the 100 cals "rule" during a fasting window to cover gum, sf candies, or cream in coffee. It is not hard and fast but seems to work.

Today was not an IF day for me. I sprained a thumb playing Dodgeball earlier this week and had volleyball at lunch again and just wanted to up my protein this morning to maximize any healing. It is a little slow healing and the volleyball doesn't help but I usually heal pretty fast and protein seems to be a great medicine.

My total for today will sit around 2K and 50ECC with 140 Protein.
  #1931   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 15:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/225/150
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
I had to eat an hour later than usual and I got so hungry lifting weights I actually felt ill-- after having a protein shake and a meal it took me almost an hour to come out of the fog. I just took some beef short ribs out of the toaster oven, ill have a couple later after they cool.

We've run into that later meals thingie, too, Mike. Wed was an enormously active day, and I came home and crashed, too tired to even bother with eating. So yesterday we ate 3 meals, if you can say fast foods are meals with a straight face. Last night, my FBS were the highest readings I've ever had, and this was after continually higher readings all week when we were behaving ourselves. (Yesterday was also a high-energy demand day for us poor old senile folks; so we decided to eat 3 meals again today. Fried eggs for brekkie, asparagus and Chinese sausage for lunch, and I've got a beef vegetable stew simmering as I type.) I think our protein will still be a bit low (had to accommodate those veggies somehow) so will have a whey protein shake for insurance later in the afternoon.
For sure, after the way this week evaporated and with our busy lives, we don't even find time to exercise. Tomorrow I think I'll sling a bit of manure (we did some perennial planting today) and convince myself that I'm exercising.
  #1932   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-08, 02:42

Plan: Fast5/CAD
Stats: 190/177/140 Female 5 foot 6 inch
BF:
Progress:

I am so fed up. I live in a rented flat, the fridge freezer has broken down and I am waiting on the landlord replacing it. He's not arguing, he's going to have a new one sent but it's taking time. Because of health issues, I can't get out to the shops every day and I never realised just how much I relied on my fridge and freezer. I'm just so cheesed off trying to plan a meal basically around tinnned goods. It also feels so unhealthy. Any ideas anyone. Thank goodness I only eat once a day.
  #1933   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-08, 16:17
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
Cramming in lots of calories is easier if you are eating high carb, maybe that's where those articles/studies have an element of truth to them.
Calories shouldn't be any problem on our WOE
Quote:
Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories.
I have more problems getting in enough protein > 80g / day when I only eat one meal and maybe a snack.?

I need to fix my large fridge since the thermostat doesn't work very well at all. For now I get by on HB eggs, cabbage, yogurt, kefir, olives, nori, tinned fish, carrots, Swiss cheese, protein shakes and other things that keep well.

Last edited by mike_d : Sat, Apr-19-08 at 16:34.
  #1934   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-08, 19:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/225/150
BF:
Progress: 50%

We have been doing some serious reconsideration of Intermittent Fasting. The benefits held out were certainly worth pursuing - even the side benefits of more time and less food preparation were worthwhile. But we ran into a couple major roadblocks - it seems that we do not get in enough protein to keep from dragging our tails, and we ended up slowing even more. (For turtles, slowing is serious! ) And hubby simply refuses to eat much more meat at a single sitting. (I can make a meal on a large steak or couple of crispy fatty porkchops alone - not hubby.) Next, I, at least, likely suffer from Siogren's Syndrome, and my early morning fasting blood sugars continue to climb w/o either breakfast, or else a substantial bedtime snack. Which kind of blows the whole fasting part right out of the water. I learned that I will survive quite handily w/o breakfast, but my body informed me via blood sugar testing that it disagrees. I did have some allergy reductions that might be traced to IF, and I'm reluctant to give them up. The last 2-3 days we've been on a 3-meals, 1-2 snacks a day schedule, and our overall FBS is dropping, and our energy returning somewhat.
So maybe we'll just try IF'ing for a wimpy 2 days a week and see if that works. (I did mention how I hate dishes, didn't I? ) So Monday will see us starting over, and maybe Thurs - or whenever. We'll try that and see.
  #1935   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-08, 20:52
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny
But we ran into a couple major roadblocks - it seems that we do not get in enough protein to keep from dragging our tails, and we ended up slowing even more. (For turtles, slowing is serious! ) And hubby simply refuses to eat much more meat at a single sitting.
I don't think I could do it either if I didn't use whey protein and amino acid supplements several times a week. I don't think having an egg or 3 oz of liver before bed would hurt the effort if you're skipping breakfast and lunch anyway. Sometimes I snack on pork rinds or nuts at night-- tonight it was yogurt. I usually don't IF on weekends since I eat out on Saturdays. If I have a snack in the a.m. then skip lunch I am often just as hungry for dinner as if I didn't eat. I guess being at goal changes things a bit? I can see in the mirror I am still gradually losing body fat and the health benefits are there too.
Closed Thread