Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 18:01
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Let me also give a comparative example. Since I am a layman who, being very fat, am widely assumed to be pathologically untruthful about my food intake, then I will provide a better argumentative source.

Lyle writes:
Quote:
But that’s essentially what a fat person claiming they can’t lose weight on 500 calories per day is suggesting can happen. Because in the face of low enough calories and sufficient activity, weight has to be lost. Or the person dies. Nothing else can happen. Yet folks seem intent on believing that somehow the basic laws of the universe apply to everyone but them.

Here's a quote from Dr. Jeffrey Friedman, Head of his group at Rockefeller University, who does molecular genetics. He is talking about people who have had weight loss surgery and lost a lot of weight. And are still obese or worse. Then just stop losing weight. I'm quoting this from a former blog post of mine that had more of his comments, here:
http://thedivinelowcarb.blogspot.co...-being-fat.html

Quote:
Dr. Jeffrey Friedman: ...there’s another feature of this surgery that people, I think, ignore, and it’s this: when you do this procedure you limit the intake of a person to about 700 calories a day. Just so you know, none of you could consume 700 calories a day for very long; it is a very small number of calories. Despite that fact, these people still end up being clinically obese at the other end of the procedure. They lose a lot of weight but they would still on average be definable as significantly obese on average after the procedure.

Now think about it, they’re eating 700 calories a day and they’re still obese. I mean if that doesn’t say that there’s something metabolically different about the obese than the lean, I don’t know what does.

He is talking about people in a METABOLIC WARD in some cases. They can't lie. Or who are physically *incapable* of eating more than that. There is no argument here that this is really what they are eating. There is no argument that they are not losing weight. There is no argument that they are quite fat and, by the calories hypothesis, should.

There is no explanation. Even the best experts in the world don't have an explanation. But at least they are not being bozos and acting like it's a religious doctrine they have ALL the answers to, it's just that "everyone else in the world" is so crazy/slothful/gluttonous/stupid/lying/etc.

Last edited by rightnow : Wed, Oct-07-09 at 18:06.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 18:24

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Most excellently stated! thank you.

Quote:
I do not have the slightest sympathy for anybody who wants to imply that I am either a fraud or a moron because I cannot put a piece of simple food (eg MEAT or CHEESE) on a scale and write it down accurately.
Exactly.
  #138   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 19:03

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Diabetes type 1. Insulin is absent. No fat accumulation can occur. Unless they inject insulin. How is that possible?!? Oh I see. It's the ASP argument all over again. We've been through this. If anybody can come up with a single example of somebody who grew fat by overeating fat, then I'll yield. Until then, Lyle is out to lunch.

Hmm...if you are right about that...I do not know much about type-1 diabetes...then you just might have OLE Lyle on that one. You might even cause me to have a paradigm shift.

Maybe.

But then why are so many keto-dieters still 30 lbs overweight...with their insulin levels so low and all?

Why did the very public debate between Anthony Colpo and Dr. Eades, regarding "metabolic advantage," end with most objective observers agreeing that Colpo won. And after that...all the sudden Eades starts talking about how calories really do count...as if he's been saying that all along.

And why do metabolic-ward studies show NO significant difference in weight loss between LC diets and high-carb diets, as long as calories are equal? Only a SMALL trend toward the weight-loss being from fat, rather than lean body mass?

Not talking about useless free-living studies that rely on self-reporting of food intake. I'm talking about studies were there is absolutely no doubt about who ate what, and what exactly they ate.
  #139   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 19:11

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjeff
Hmm...if you are right about that...I do not know much about type-1 diabetes...then you just might have OLE Lyle on that one. You might even cause me to have a paradigm shift.

Maybe.

But then why are so many keto-dieters still 30 lbs overweight...with their insulin levels so low and all?

Why did the very public debate between Anthony Colpo and Dr. Eades, regarding "metabolic advantage," end with most objective observers agreeing that Colpo won. And after that...all the sudden Eades starts talking about how calories really do count...as if he's been saying that all along.

And why do metabolic-ward studies show NO significant difference in weight loss between LC diets and high-carb diets, as long as calories are equal? Only a SMALL trend toward the weight-loss being from fat, rather than lean body mass?

Not talking about useless free-living studies that rely on self-reporting of food intake. I'm talking about studies were there is absolutely no doubt about who ate what, and what exactly they ate.

The case of diabetes type 1 is in the books. It doesn't serve to argue against it.

As for metabolic ward studies showing a small trend toward weight loss, I'll simply use it to counter the argument that obesity is merely a small trend toward weight gain.
  #140   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 19:14

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Huh? I don't think anyone is saying low insulin fixes things all by itself.

Quote:
most objective observers agreeing that Colpo won.
Where do you get that? I heard the opposite.

Quote:
And why do metabolic-ward studies show NO significant difference in weight loss between LC diets and high-carb diets, as long as calories are equal?
Because calories are so few. Starvation level calories drives different partitioning than higher levels. Have you seen metabolic ward studies with higher calories? I haven't yet.

Quote:
I'm talking about studies were there is absolutely no doubt about who ate what, and what exactly they ate.
What do you make of PJ's reporting of post-bypass obese people? Because they are free living their data is useless?
  #141   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 19:41

BF:

In this thread , we argue the same subject from a different perspective. Here is one post I made outlining an idea I just had:
Quote:
How do we make the system bigger or smaller then if playing with Ein and Eout directly doesn't seem to work? I'll venture a guess. By adding or newly introducing an agent that affects homeostasis at the fat tissue which causes the system to grow bigger, or by reducing or completely removing this agent which allows the system to grow smaller.

As the system grows bigger, it causes Ein to increase; Eout will probably decrease as well thereby adding to the trend. This will go on until the system, and both Ein and Eout, are in equilibrium, and the system will remain at this new size, until a new change in this agent is made.

Conversely, as the system grows smaller, it causes Ein to decrease; Eout will probably increase as well thereby adding to the trend. This will go on until the system, and both Ein and Eout, are in equilibrium, and the system will remain at this new size, until a new change in this agent is made.

The Laws of Thermodynamics are obeyed.

So what's the agent?
The causality can be analyzed. Which is the cause, Ein decreasing or the system growing smaller? I vote for the system growing smaller for two reasons. A smaller system requires less energy, and the fashion with which the system grows smaller is by releasing stored energy thereby adding to the total available energy. A direct consequence of these two things is reduced hunger. That's how the system controls Ein.

The same logic can be applied when the system grows bigger. A bigger system requires more energy, and the fashion with which the system grows bigger is by storing energy that could otherwise be used thereby subtracting from the total available energy. The direct consequence of this is increased hunger. Again, that's how the system controls Ein.

Let's poke holes in it, shall we?
  #142   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 19:53

Plan: No caffeine, no alcohol
Stats: 175/154/150 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/show...ght=Gary+Taubes

"I can summarize Taube's book pretty briefly: it's complete crap.."

Interesting thread. Thanks for posting.
  #143   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 19:56

BF:

Poking holes...

I asked, so what's the agent? I could just say it's the carbohydrate but that would only confuse us even more because of carbohydrate's caloric content (oh, but it's the calories, stupid!). No, let's use other substances that contain no calories so that the idea is unaffected by either hypotheses. Let's establish a neutral zone of sort.

How about caffeine or nicotine, would that fit the bill? What about drugs used to stimulate insulin or to increase insulin uptake by cells, or even insulin itself, those would fit the bill as well, wouldn't they? Or other drugs that affect not insulin but other hormones and have the secondary effect of causing weight gain, or weight loss as the case may be. They would cause the system to grow bigger, or smaller accordingly.

Wouldn't these agents, through their actions on system size, subsequently cause a change in Ein and Eout down the chain of events? And wouldn't we, in our ever wise wisdom, conclude that the association between system size and changes in Ein-Eout, is actually a causality, i.e. Ein increases, system size increases, therefore Ein causes system to increase?

Last edited by M Levac : Wed, Oct-07-09 at 20:04.
  #144   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 20:33

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:

Quote:
Hmm...if you are right about that...I do not know much about type-1 diabetes...then you just might have OLE Lyle on that one. You might even cause me to have a paradigm shift...

Hey Jeff. You might find this post interesting (the last section): http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...3&postcount=146

EDIT: Oh I'll just quote the part here.
Quote:
I'm going to give an example with numbers. I won't include exercise to keep it simple.

Let's say we have a person in a metabolic ward with a measured BMR that is currently at 2000 calories per day, before they start the experiment. This person will eat exactly 1800 calories per day of a low-fat diet (60% carbs, 15% fat, 25% protein).

He eats his first meal of the day.
600 calories total.
400 is taken up by the fat cells to be used in between the next meal.
200 stays in circulation in the blood stream and/or was used for digestion.

Normally when the circulating available energy becomes a bit low, your insulin will also be lower, allowing energy to exit from your fat cells. BUT if this person has a problem with insulin resistance, the insulin levels will stay high longer after the meal and less energy will be able to exit the fat cells.
If non IR: In 5 hours 400 calories will be released from fat cells.
If IR: In 5 hours only 200 calories might be released from fat cells.

As you can see, for the same time frame depending on your metabolism you might use less energy from your fat cells. Also, if the person is IR they will become hungry earlier than if they were not insulin resistant.

So when the person reaches the second meal.
If non IR: 0 calories from the previous meal is still stored in the fat cells.
If IR: 200 calories from the previous meal is still stored in the fat cells.

Repeat this for the 3 meals and you come to this.
If non IR: 0 to 200 calories removed from fat cells. His metabolism could have slowed down to match the available energy (1800 calories). So his actual measured BMR at the end of the day would be 1800. No weight change. If his metabolism did not yet adjusted to the lower available energy, an extra 200 calories would have been released by the fat cells and a small weight loss occurred.

If IR: 0 to 600 calories added to fat cells. His metabolism could have slowed down to match the available energy (1200 calories, because 600 is still trapped in the fat cells). So his actual measured BMR at the end of the day would be 1200 and weight was gained. If his metabolism did not yet adjusted to the lower available energy, this person will really be hungry now, but he can't eat more (imagine if he could). In the longer period from super to breakfast of the next day, his insulin will have a chance to be lower. So his fat cells might be able to release up to 600 calories during this time and so there was no weight change or a lesser gain.

So as you can see with the same numbers and the same diet you could lose, maintain or even gain weight on a calorie restricted diet. The only difference is the person's metabolism. BUT your calorie intake per say had nothing to do with losing or gaining here. It's only the type of calories and/or the way that your body handled the energy that had an effect on gaining or losing.

This scenario would be completely different if the person was eating a zero-carb diet (75% fat, 25% protein), but I'm just too tired of typing for now and might do this part in another post.

Patrick
  #145   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 02:01
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.

Trivia from an article I was just reading:
Quote:
Now, how on earth could he have believed that his diet was good? Well, although this data is a little old, I wanted to share it with you anyway because it's very telling about the power of marketing. In 1992 the National Cancer Institute spent $400,000 on an ad campaign to encourage the consumption of fruits and vegetables. That same year Kelloggs spent 32 million advertising Frosted Flakes alone! No wonder people don't know what foods are good for them!

So, back to the client. Well, it turns out that he had been down this road before. When he first started gaining weight, he decided to go on a diet program. He followed a ridiculous, muscle wasting, low calorie diet full of sweeteners and terrible tasting foods. And he lost some weight. But the minute he went back to eating what he thought was healthy and sensible (as described above); he gained all the fat back and then some!
  #146   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 06:00

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

I must admit several of you have given me some thoughts to chew on. I did read RightNow's post....normally I would be very dismissive of anyone claiming to maintain obesity on 1200 calories per day. Because when they actually measure obese people's BMR it is HIGHER than skinny people's.

But I sensed nothing but sincerity in that post, and you do indeed appear to be smart enough to correctly weigh food, and have a pretty darn good idea of your calorie intake.

The stuff you wrote in that post about Dr. Feiniman (Spelling?)...saying that those who have had gastric bypass surgery are only able to eat about 700 calories per day, yet remain obese on that few calories (Though certainly less obese) is also compelling food for thought.

But I'm still a bit skpetical. How does he know they are only eating that much. I mean heck..there's 500 to 600 calories in a lot of those freaking Starbucks coffees.

He was also wrong when he said in the study on twins that some did not gain any weight, in spite of massive overfeeding. I read an interview with the guy that actually did that experiment, and he made it very clear that EVERYONE gained weight.

However, there was a threefold difference in weight gain. So yeah...some clearly were more predisposed to gain weight it would seem.

Then as happenstance would have it, I got a new email newsletter from Mike Stone at 180 degree health.

He did a book review of Gina Kolata's "Rethinking Thin." Apparently her research has led her to also believe that some folks simply do not seem to fit into the "calories in/calories out" equations.

This is all very, very intriguing to me. I still don't have the "big buy in" here...but will be digging deeper into this issue.

And yet... if Anthony Colpo and Dr. Gregory Ellis are wrong about calories being the ONLY thing that counts...then why has nobody been able to put them in thier place? Are they unaware of Twins studies, overfeeding prisoners study, etc.? I doubt they're unaware, and would be interested in how those guys would reply to some of this.

Last edited by coachjeff : Thu, Oct-08-09 at 06:08.
  #147   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 06:41

BF:

If the "calories in/calories out" equations cannot explain ALL observations, then it is automatically falsified. This is how science work. Other hypotheses most be proposed which explains ALL observations with the same rules every time.

Patrick
  #148   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 07:15

Plan: No caffeine, no alcohol
Stats: 175/154/150 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 84%

I think one possible explanation for the difference, in some cases, is food intolerance (See false fat diet). The culprit is likely milk and milk products, eggs or wheat, though it could be anything. The body often reacts to these foods, which are often eaten chronically, by trying to dilute them, and one way to do that is to get bigger. On an elimination diet, if there is a problem food, one common result is rapid and profound loss of weight.
  #149   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 07:22

BF:

Tomsey, your arguments are just putting more nails into the calorie balance hypothesis' coffin. Can't you see that? There are no exceptions in science. Your hypothesis must explain all observations or it is invalid.

If there is one thing we must take from the 7 years research Taubes has put into his book, it's that there are a lot of observations not explained by the calorie balance hypothesis. So it's not even wrong!

Patrick
  #150   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 07:23

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Thanks, CoachJeff, for your consideration of these other experiences. Some of us have felt "victimized" by the calorie-abuse accusation, so we might be a little defensive.

Quote:
if Anthony Colpo and Dr. Gregory Ellis are wrong about calories being the ONLY thing that counts...then why has nobody been able to put them in their place?
As for this, I don't know about this particular case, but your statement reminds me of those who accuse Gary Taubes of ignoring studies that didn't suit his purpose--that is, debunking the "conventional wisdom" about obesity. At least Taubes didn't start out with a bias--just a curiosity. His intriguing review of scientific history, and 65 pages (in my edition) of Bibliography suggest a rather thorough pursuit of information.

It's a matter of asking the right questions, as well as compiling supportive data from well-designed trials. Not much of that has been done in the area of obesity research until recently.