Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-09, 00:13

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankly
article on improving inexpensive steaks... Much as I'm not a fan of "salting" steaks, it goes onto describe using kosher salt to draw out the myoglobin, which makes sense I suppose.

I have no problem with salting steaks, so this is a welcome tip! My wife hates grass-fed beef because of the livery flavor. I've also noticed that it's often quite a bit less salty than grain-fed beef. I think I will try this with it sometime.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-09, 08:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ok, I tried it. I salted it, left it at room temperature for about an hour. It was still somewhat liverish, about the same as the prior day when I just seasoned it heavily. So I'm not sure all the extra fussing is worthwhile.
  #138   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-09, 15:09
Registered Member

Plan: Paleolithic
Stats: 240/137/130 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

I have had good luck with using meats like that cooked in beef broth for long periods of time (just yesterday I took some sirloin tip and made it into beef stew just using beef broth and some spices, then adding carrot and onion in the crock pot) the gamey flavor isn't noticeable and the meat is meltingly soft. Of course, I trimmed off the gristly parts, which hold a lot of that gamey flavor IMO. Perhaps it's because of the sodium content in the broth? (it's not homemade, it's organic gluten free beef stock) I'm using up some steak cuts in the freezer from my grandma's grass fed cow right now, so have no choice in cuts
  #139   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-09, 16:44
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, but that defeats the purpose of eating a "steak".
  #140   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-09, 13:09

Plan: ZC
Stats: 140/155/155 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I have no problem with salting steaks, so this is a welcome tip! My wife hates grass-fed beef because of the livery flavor. I've also noticed that it's often quite a bit less salty than grain-fed beef. I think I will try this with it sometime.

After having eaten grass fed beef for a while, I find that grain-fed beef is bland. Also, it has a weird texture. I've become accustomed to the more gamey, chewy steaks from grass fed beef.
  #141   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-09, 15:48
Experimenter

BF:

Does the grass fed beef taste like liver?
  #142   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 13:51
Registered Member

Plan: LC Paleo-ish
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 68
BF:UGH
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Does the grass fed beef taste like liver?

The grass fed I tried did....hence why I haven't reserved my cow from the local farmer. I'm considering going grain-fed....I can't seem to get used to the flavor.
  #143   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 14:16
Experimenter

BF:

It's interesting but the sirloin has lost it's livery flavor. Maybe it was just too fresh, needed to age a bit more.
  #144   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 20:41

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 216.2/207.6/135 Female 5"5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I had califlower and round steak. YUMMY
  #145   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 20:58

Plan: ZC Warrior | +40K Paleo
Stats: 200/180/180 Male 180cm
BF:

A side of salmon.
  #146   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 22:09

I just want to put a plug in here for pig's ears. They are so damn good!

Yesterday I poached them in lard and they came out like egg noodles.
  #147   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 23:44
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

some grass fed is stronger than others....a local grass fed beef I can get at the health food store is less strong, it's really quite tasty for ground beef. I haven't tried any steaks, I tend to stay away from chewy meat because of TMJ problems.
Tarlach, I made salmon yesterday, I had to fight my 7 year old son for seconds! haha-we get good salmon here in washington state because it comes down from alaska a bit pricey though.
the pigs ears are a bit weird....but maybe I'll try them if I can find a reputable source I do have some hocks sitting in my freezer I have to find something to do with.....no split pea soup, so what do I do with them? Not sure I want straight pork broth....
Today I made the kids and I coconut flour pancakes and sausage from our local pig. Sauteed some berries for topping. Went over big I think I might make that more often and put the leftovers in DS's lunch sack, spread with almond butter. Lunch was at the park so I just brought some landjaeger with me. Dinner was beef, squash and tomato saute. tomorrow I have to cook up a ham. Anyone have any good ham recipes? I'm gonna stick whole cloves into it, but beyond that I have no clue
  #148   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 02:56

Plan: ZC Warrior | +40K Paleo
Stats: 200/180/180 Male 180cm
BF:

We tried pigs ears and they came out pretty gross. We weren't game to try them again...
  #149   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 09:34

Sorry to hear that others haven't enjoyed their pig's ears. I got mine in a somewhat unusual way, and I'm not sure if the way I cooked them was quite conventional, so maybe they turned out better than they would have otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbug
I do have some hocks sitting in my freezer I have to find something to do with.....no split pea soup, so what do I do with them? Not sure I want straight pork broth....

Do you mean hocks without the feet attached? Are they smoked? I'm not really a fan of ham hocks either, but I love trotters, not smoked and with the toes still on.

If the hocks are not smoked, what is the objection to pork broth? Do you mean you don't want to drink it? I've discovered that pork broth makes a great flavor for Asian style soups and sauces. You can use it to make a pan sauce for fried pork chops and to braise pork shoulder.

If they're smoked, the only thing I would know to do is boil some greens with them, and I don't really eat greens myself anymore.

Quote:
Anyone have any good ham recipes? I'm gonna stick whole cloves into it, but beyond that I have no clue

I'm not a big ham fan. Slicing it pretty thin and frying it with eggs is the best option I know of. I've been so happy to discover other delicious parts of the pig, because it makes up for the hams being so huge. I would love to try curing my own ham to see if something can be done with it, but I have a feeling it's just too lean to be good.
  #150   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 13:35
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

This is a fatty ham, from our piggie-it's smoked, but it's got a nice fat pad around the outside and through the midsection, and a big fat bone with marrow in the middle. I'm just roasting it with the fat side up, we'll see how it turns out. Yes, the hocks I have are smoked. My DH still eats non-paleo so I might just let him have them for when he wants split pea or ham and bean soup. We'll see.