Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 15:36
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi everyone,

I got in my four days of exercise this week -- walked three times and then swam today. My legs have been bothering me off and on lately, so I am going to try to swim more and walk less. I haven't been swimming much lately because I really prefer swimming outdoors and the weather has been too yucky to do that, but I think I need to give my legs a little time off from lugging all this weight around and swimming is the only exercise I know that will do that. It's disappointing to have leg problems because I have been feeling so good and healthy. I was trying to alternate walking and jogging and I think I am just too heavy to jog and that is what caused the aches and pains.

Extra Credit:
I actually have lots of positive memories of physical activity -- most involving tiring myself out swimming and then lying in the sun relaxing and enjoying how good my muscles feel. I remember a day many years ago when I was in my early 20s. I started the day by playing a couple of sets of very good tennis and then went up in the hills above the city I was living, to a lake with a swimming area. I swam and then lay on the beach by the lake in the sun, just feeling good all over because I had used so many different muscles that day. I would like to reach the point where I feel that comfortable in my body again.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 16:56

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Hello to All,
Wow, everyone is doing so well. You are all such an inspiration for me - it helps me not get lazy just knowing that each of you is pushing forward
This past week has been pretty good exercise wise. I've done my weights and strength training at the gym every other day as planned. My water intake slipped a little. It is hard for me to get over a gallon in on days that I teach, I just can't take the bathroom breaks to accomodate the water. I'll work on that for next week.
For next week, I want to crank it up a little. I will do the gym 3 times for my weights/strength training, but on off days I want to do some cardio. I am hoping that will speed up my motabolism some.
Mini goal - not really health related but it will make me happier - within the next week or two I hope to finally weigh less than my husband (cross your fingers for me) I am within 1 to 2 lb of him now.

Extra Credit:
I remember how much fun I used to have water skiing. I could ski for miles all over a lake near my home. Early in my marriage, my dh & I even had a ski boat and would go every weekend. Then job move away from water and having ds, sold boat. Maybe this summer, we could at least rent a boat for a day and go skiing. That would be fun. Maybe I could teach my son how to ski.

Keep up the good work gang - you are the greatest!
Marie
  #138   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 07:45
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charran
I'm starting to feel like I don't belong here! Another week has gone by and I haven't achieved my goals. I had great intentions of getting to the gym this morning for an upper body workout ( as my ankle still isn't 100% healed here),

if you take a look over the third tdc challenge you will se through the whole two monthes I never made my goals and my only exuse was being to tired from working.. so I don't see why you don't belong
hope your ankle gets better soon
  #139   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 08:00
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Hi all,

I did get in three workouts so far this week -- but I need to dial them up for next week. My plan is to leave the office at 4:45 and spend 45 minutes in the gym but I've been pushing it to 5:00.

I have found a new way to fit in a little mini-cardio. I take a commuter train in the mornings and lately it has been late for numbers of reasons. Instead of hovering in a shelter, complaining and freezing, I've spent the time pacing back and forth on the platform... got in an extra 25 minutes of walking that way! Got some funny looks but I don't really care.

Extra credit:
Lots of good memories of sports -- I played badminton on the high school team even when I was over 200 pounds, played squash (at a lower weight), cross-country skiied, swam for fun in Lake Erie as a kid and since I had more insulation, I was the only one who could stand the cold for very long, swam for hours in the Mediterranean where it was nice and warm.
My best memory was skiing after work. I lived in Ottawa for awhile, finished work at 4:00 and by 5:00 was downhill skiing until 10:00.
I keep saying I hate exercise but when I read this list, I realize that I hate exercise for the sake of exercise but I love sports. Maybe time to go and join a badminton club or something like that!

Thanks for the extra credit this week, Monika, it really made me think!
  #140   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 14:49

Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Teresa!!! I went over to your 10k thread to (belatedly, sorry!) get the 3rd week of your training schedule, and you guys are *flying*! No need to repeat the info here since your thread is the place to be for 10k trainees. How fabulous. I’m so glad you’re seeing progress in your walks, too!

Monika - Thanks for dropping by the thread - We are having a bit of fun and helping each other to keep going!!

I would like to send out an invitation to anyone who hasn't been by to drop on over to our 10K challenge! I have found that this is really helping me with the TDC challenge. There are many familiar people there - we have committed to walking 3 times per week, increasing our time with each week.....of course you are welcome to partipate in whatever way you can - treadmill, indoor (WAP), mall walking, whatever keeps you moving.....check it out - feel free to jump in but be sure to go back to the start to catch how the program works!!

Any questions feel free to PM me or post on the thread. Thanks!
  #141   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 15:22

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Hi everyone. I was able to meet my goal this week of doing the 2 mile WAP 3 times. It's too soon to say whether that schedule is working better for me or not, so I'm giving it another week with the same schedule.

I also read through some exercise books to get some ideas. I really think it would be hard to do the full strength training here at home since I don't have any equipment. I have been trying a few things, but no real routine yet. For this week, though, I am going to plan on doing 2 sets of 15 curls with a 2 lb weight in addition to continuing the WAP. I'm planning on doing it the same day as the WAP since they really are working different areas. I figure adding one exercise is a start.

As far as sports go, I was never athletically inclined. I remember all the things that didn't work much better than I remember the things that did work. I've always enjoyed swimming, or should I say playing in the pool, which I still do in the summer. It will be nice to buy a prettier swimsuit this summer.

Have a great week everyone!
  #142   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 16:06
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Wink A fly by ...

I'm a busy girl today, but sat down for a cup of tea and quick read of this thread ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charran
I'm starting to feel like I don't belong here! Another week has gone by and I haven't achieved my goals. I had great intentions of getting to the gym this morning for an upper body workout ( as my ankle still isn't 100% healed here), but my daughter was sick and had to stay home from playschool today...sooooo....here I sit. Can't even do an aerobic tape! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for next week though! It can't get any worse..can it?
{{{Charran}}}

Honey, you *do* belong here. Absolutely!

Before you know it, your ankle will be healed and your schedule will let up a bit, but until those things happen ...

DusterCat has been exercising while her toe has been injured for over 6 months now - and she doesn't use a formal fitness tape, either. She's a great resource for how to get movement in when you can't hop around.

Also, like Kelly said Sit and Be Fit is a good option for people who have mobility problems in general. Here's a link to their TV schedule - I notice it's only in the States, but with today's satelite / cable programming, maybe you can find it in Alberta? They also have tapes to purchase, but they might not be a good fit for you when you're back up on your pins.

You ask 'It can't get any worse..can it?' ... I'll answer YES! It get's much worse if you give up on your self; if you start thinking it's too hard to find a way to make activity a part of your life or you're not worthy to get support here.

Crysania is a wonderful example of someone who keeps on trying. I doubt there has been even one Challenger who has made all their goals. I sure know I haven't lived up to all mine.

As long as you think getting exercise into your life is a good idea ... You Belong!
  #143   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 16:23

Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hey Folks,

Sorry to be late checking in - having a rough couple of days with TOM (happens every few months :/) so I've been spending my free time on the couch I didn't quite make my goals last week - I did get my walks in, and I'm quite pleased with how much I'm enjoying the walking, and how much brisker and more comfortable my pace is! However, I didn't make it to aquafit classes.

Still no bathing suit - tried a couple of shops, some had nothing in yet, some had nothing suitable (plus they're gosh darn expensive!!). However, my wonderful mother lives near a store that sells suits & she knows exactly what I'm looking for, so she's going to pick one up for me and send it out. This will delay my aquafit classes for a while. SO - I met with a trainer on Thursday, and set up a routine for me to do using the rec centre fitness centre.

So my goals this week are to continue with the walking challenge, and to get to the fitness centre 3 times. I'd like to develop that into a solid habit.

Extra Credit
I don't have to think long or hard for this one - I know my favorite memories of physical activity involve 2 activities - all of my memories of horseback riding (though sometimes exhausting or challenging, and sometimes even scary!, I LOVED it... and can't wait to get back!), and all of my memories of swimming in the lake during the summer. I'd spend my day in and out of the water, and I loved it.

Hope everyone else is doing well!
Wynter
  #144   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 20:19
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins (restart 1/5/04)
Stats: 198/185/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 25%

One of my goals for this 8 week challenge was to be able to do the whole Cher Step Fitness video while using the step at the lowest level. For the first time in many years, I was able to do the whole tape tonight!!!!

At this point, I'm not using the step, but that will be the next step (no pun intended!).
  #145   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 20:50

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

It so inspiring reading all the goals people are meeting, Taking control of their lives, putting "themselves" first it's exciting and encouraging.
  #146   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 08:18
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%

All,

Sorry I havent posted in some time, things have been very hectic at work. But just wanted to let you all know you are doing great from the posts that I quickly glanced at. I have been completing most of my goals during the fitness challenge. I'mgoing to have to edit my Curves promise to twice a week to at least twice a month. I cant seem to get out of the office to try and make it there. However I am upping my other goals by spending more times on the equipment at the gym and going at least 4-5 days a week. I think the ladies are saying I'm nuts becuase I seem to be there all the time at odd hours. I'm halfway thru my goal 5 which is attend an aquafitness class at least 4 times during my challenge and I will probably be going more than that. I just have to see how the new instructors are since they are changing next week. Otherwise I will get myself into to the pool to atleast do some laps. I've also changed from using a recumbent bike to a stationary bike and have managed to get myself to 100rpms vs the 70 that I wasnt to at least reach. Only bad thing is my sister said I jiggle too much, meaning my chest region. But I cant understand why because I'm literally shrinking uptown in that area. LOL, I know TMI!

Well I haven't been losing much but I think I am losing inches. I had measured myself and wrote my stats in a notebook, which has gone missing. I've got biceps! which I can actually see so I think that a pretty good sign. Well gtg and run errands on this sunny Sunday morning.

Dewi
  #147   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 09:25

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewi
I've got biceps! which I can actually see so I think that a pretty good sign.

Dewi, I was still sitting here in my workout clothes when I read your post, so I tried looking at mine. And I found some muscle showing. I can't ever remember being able to see my muscles before! They are still small, but there is a definite shape there. Wow! Now that's exciting.
  #148   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 13:33
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

The first week of the month interfered with my Curves plan, so I only got there 2x this week. Excuses, excuses, I know. I actually should be able to go to Curves AT LEAST 3x this week--my aim is 12x each month.

Extra Credit: I used to love to swim. I'd be in the water until I was totally exhausted. And I used to be an archer (no, really--this was my senior year in HS; we had a team and actually took first place in the district-wide competition.) That sounds silly, but it's actually a good upper body workout! I wonder where my bow went???

Jude
  #149   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 13:56

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Hi Gang!
Looks like everyone is doing great. I have wonderful news to share. Today, I now weigh the same as my husband. Yeah!!! WooHoo!! This has been a mini goal of mine for a while and I made it with your help My dh is one of those disgustingly healthy, likes to exercise, jogs, plays tennis several times a week type people, though I am really lucky. He went on Atkins with me and is in maintenance now and being very supportive of this wol.
A friend we hadn't seen in months ran in to us the other day and said it looked like dh had a new wife and I said no just 1/2 of the old one! This is so exciting. Thanks for letting me share my happy day.
Marie
  #150   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 15:43
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile Hello again ...

Checking in ... I did my 3 mile WAP both Saturday and today, and both days I also spent 2 hours in the yard doing spring clean up. All those moldering winter leaves to be raked up, flower beds to weed and get ready for seeds.

I’m not a fan of hot temperatures or full sunlight, so gardening in January, with a brisk breeze and weak light, is perfect. In fact, I think I’ll go outside again when I’m done here and plan what needs to happen next. All this would have been impossible last year!

Jude ~ I think archery sounds like a lot of fun! You could set up a target with some representation of where you want to go ... a goal weight? body fat %? pants size? ... and shoot for the bull’s-eye!! It would be an exercise for both body and mind!

Dianne ~ I've been thinking of you because I came across a site called Homemakers.com. They have a fitness program that works on cardio / strength / flexibility - all things you can do at home without special equipment. I'm going to start at the strength section in March!

Dewi ~ Maybe you need a good sports bra? When you 'shrink uptown', there's less of you to fill out your old bra = less support. In the meantime, girl, jiggle away! Maybe the extra motion will burn a few more calories!

Grendeldog ~ Congratulations on making it through your Cher video! BTW, your program at the Y sounds great. How long does the whole thing last? Tell us about it, if you like.

Wynter ~ You're doing great! One of the hallmarks of real dedication to fitness is - you find a way to do it - even when there are obstacles in the way (like focusing on other activities until you can find the tools to do your chosen one). I hope the suit your Mom sends you will be perfect and you can get back to that wonderful aquafit class!

Teresa ~ I didn't get it that I could participate by doing the WAP videos. I'm jumping in!!

Hummelda ~ I think your idea to add a little cardio in at the train station is a fabulous idea! You may get some funny looks, but I bet your body loves it. I get so stiff when I just stand and sit. PS - Badminton sounds like fun!

crysania ~ Thank you for being a GREAT inspiration! BTW, your new picture is lovely! And you really can tell a *big* weight loss difference in your gallery shots.

Regarding measuring - I’m not sure there is a right way for everyone, but this is what I do. Pick an interval (weekly, monthly, whatever) and measure at the same time of day. Use the same measuring tape. For my hips, I measure the widest part, for my waist, I measure the smallest area. This sounds funny, but when I measure my upper arms, I line the tape up with two distinct freckles. I truly think this is one of those things you have to work out for yourself where and when. The only girl you’re comparing with is you, after all!

Marie ~ I’ve got my fingers and toes crossed for you! I know what a big deal those ‘weight markers’ are. I’m sending you ~ Light As A Feather ~ thoughts.

Liz ~ I’m so sorry your knees are hurting you. That is disappointing, I know. I can relate in a small way ... a month or so ago I started doing squats. Everything was hunky-dory for a few weeks - felt myself growing stronger - then one day I felt a disturbing twinge and it hasn’t gone away since. Knees, even more so than ankles and hips, in my opinion, are the scariest place to have problems since they’re so crucial for mobility. {{Take care of those good joints}} I’m sure they will appreciate moving in the water where they don’t have body weight to stress them out. Before long, you’ll weigh less, they’ll be strong again and you can push them a bit more.

EllenMom ~ It’s *hard* not to subconsciously nibble ... the conscious decisions are easy, it‘s when ‘automatic pilot‘ is engaged that bad things can happen. Good luck, my strong in spirit Challenger! I know you can do it because you’ve already come so far.

Kelly ~ You are doing great! Regarding your good exercise memory - I LOVE the Oregon coast. It’s better than California, much better than Washington’s ... it’s just perfect. After reading your description, I felt this big longing ... ‘I want to do that, too!’ Thanks for the wonderful idea!!

DusterCat ~ Hey! I somehow missed that you’ve now lost MORE THAN 100 POUNDS!!!!! Congratulations! You are a total inspiration to me. Thank you for being such a great example to us all - not just for losing so much weight, but by sticking with your exercise program all through this, regardless of hurt toes and flu bugs. You keep on keeping on - something everyone can benefit from. {{{Great Job}}}

Smoothblu ~ I’m hoping you can be back hiking those trails again soon, too!

Patti ~ Congratulations on doing so well with your exercise routine! And I echo the sentiment - 20 pounds in 5 weeks is FABULOUS! It’s really quite a lot for your body to adjust to, so be patient while it gets used to the change. It’s obvious that you’re on track with your WOE and fitness plan ... can’t do better than that. You may earn a trophy here, too, for working very hard - but something tells me you’ll be bringing home lots of points.

Want2bFit ~ It sounds like you’re doing wonderful! I particularly think the slow stepping up every two weeks is a good idea. Less stress to the body, more gain of muscle and stamina, IMHO. I have to say, the 3 mile WAP is my favorite. There’s a tricep exercise I just *love* ... I can see muscles on the under side of my upper arm for the first time ever, and I know it’s due to that exercise. I hope you enjoy it, too!

Have a fabulous week Challengers!