Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-09, 19:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272/247.6/200 Male 73.5
BF:Too High
Progress: 34%
Default A Question About Blood Sugar

Hi All,
I am pre-diabetic. Lowest # 115, highest #128 at fasting. No meds, no meter. Eating Atkins induction plan without cheating.

I ate bell peppers stuffed with ground deer and pork, a can of tomatoes. A regular meal at my home. A good diabetic meal. Afterwards I laid down and fell asleep for an hour. It was just like I had eaten birthday cake which always puts me down hard. There was no sugar in any of that except the natural sugars in the little bit of tomatoes I ate.
Does eating too much of even meat have a insulin response? I did eat more than I should have.
No big deal, but I want to understand anything that is going on with my body. Maybe I was just relaxed with a full stomach, but it sure felt like I had eaten a ton of refined sugar.
Any ideas?
Thanks
David
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-09, 19:47

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

1 cup of canned tomatoes has 15.8 g of carbs.

You can get a relion meter at walmart for $12 and the test strips are about half of the others you can buy. I think I just bought 100 for about $37.

You can test before a meal and then about 1 hour then 2 hours after to see how your blood sugar is affected by your meal.

I'm currently testing 4 times a day, before each meal and at bedtime. You want it to be around 90 (5.0 hba1c) and not over 140 where damage begins to occur. So as close to 90-100 as possible is my goal right now.

Others will respond and give you some more good information, until then read some of the posts here on the diabetic forum. Very informative, but feel free to ask questions and you'll get some really good advice.

take care -- Debi

Last edited by Debi Warne : Sat, Aug-08-09 at 19:53.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-09, 20:05

Thanks for the reply Debi. Your idea about a meter is good. The only reason I don't have one is because I didn't want to pay full price for it. That is silly isnt it? I could have checked my blood sugar when I was feeling sleepy and it would have indicated what was going on.
Thanks, I am going out to Wal-Mart right now and get one, seriously.
David
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-09, 20:44

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Studley
Hi All,
I am pre-diabetic. Lowest # 115, highest #128 at fasting. No meds, no meter. Eating Atkins induction plan without cheating.

I ate bell peppers stuffed with ground deer and pork, a can of tomatoes. A regular meal at my home. A good diabetic meal. Afterwards I laid down and fell asleep for an hour. It was just like I had eaten birthday cake which always puts me down hard. There was no sugar in any of that except the natural sugars in the little bit of tomatoes I ate.
Does eating too much of even meat have a insulin response? I did eat more than I should have.
Thanks
David

Yes. It's called gluconeogenesis. See threads here with the word Kwasniewski in them to explain.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-09, 21:58

gluconeogenesis. Okay, thanks, I have seen the word but do not know anything about it. I will research it.
Thanks, CBCB

Debi, I bought my meter, the prices were close to what you said. $9.00 for meter, and $39.00 for 100 strips. Got it set up quickly, I sometimes get checked by my FIL and a friend at work, so I know the basic operation.
My number this evening is 96. I'm cured, I'm cured! At least if I eat a low carb diet. Wow, that is by far the lowest number I have seen. My eating plan is working for me.
Okay, so now I am sure I will experiment with it by checking before and after eating, when I feel my blood sugar is low etc.
I believe that this evening after eating, I was feeling my blood sugar being too low. That feeling has been common to me for a few years. Now I will be able to verify in the future.
Sorry to seem so dense; I should have bought a meter several months ago. I feel like I have made some progress this evening.
David
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-09, 22:16

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Good for you. You will learn more about your body and how it reacts to different foods as you test.

Keep up the good work.

take care -- Debi
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-09, 22:16

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

Its best if you have Pre- Diabetes to keep a eye on it with a Meter. It is so easy to go into Full Type 2 Diabetes and not know it.
Its even good to have it since your doing Atkins and to make sure you BS are falling real low also.
Also if you have medical care you can have your dr. give you a scrip for the meter, and the strips that go along with it. I have Kaiser INs and pay nothing for the strips, when I had United health care it was 30 bucks for 100 one touch strips, better than paying the 100 bucks for them. But walmart and Walgreens both have there brands for cheap and the strips also.

And being a pre-Diabetic, you need to know what foods your senstive to, and taking your BS will tell you and then you can cut down or weed that food out.

I wish you luck and good health, and good control of this disease.

Last edited by Hismouse : Sat, Aug-08-09 at 22:25.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-09, 22:22

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

Opps david, I am tired I missed your post, you got it, super cured, hum, hate to burst your sweet bubble, but, with my head ducking down, you can;t cure Diabetes, you can control it, and its a ongoing rollercoaster for all of us. I hate to be blunt, but I have had type two since I was 16, and it has been a day to day thing.
But keep checking and stick to you diet and you can hold off all the future complications. do know if you get sick, check often to, BS like to go up with sickness and stress. So food is not just our enemy.
Read as much as you can, keep a eye on Am fasting BS to see if you have that darn Dawn effect. I do and million others do also.
Take good care
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-09, 22:34

Oh, I was just joking about being cured. The 96 number is encouraging for me, but I understand if I don't eat correctly the glucose number will shoot right back up.
Just don't understand why I didn't already have a meter. Ron White says you can't fix stupid. ha ha, I guess that could apply to me in this case.
Thanks to all that responded to my post. I love this message board, It is helping me to stay focused and I am learning alot.
David
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-09, 23:13

Here is one kind of recent research article.
Too Much Protein, Eaten Along With Fat, May Lead To Insulin Resistance
http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...90407130905.htm
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-09, 11:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Eating carbs or protein raises insulin, which is a good thing really. The insulin actually carries the protein into the cells where it gets used, and deals with excess blood sugar. The only thing that insulin ignores is fat.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-09, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Eating carbs or protein raises insulin, which is a good thing really. The insulin actually carries the protein into the cells where it gets used, and deals with excess blood sugar. The only thing that insulin ignores is fat.

In normal day-to-day metabolism, insulin plays an important role, I agree.

But, Nancy, if I can clarify for the original poster, production of too much insulin, and cells becoming then insulin-resistant, is well associated with the eventual development of diabetes, as the body's ability to keep producing insulin eventually fails. (At least that's the current thinking.)

This short piece may detail it well for the original poster:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hy...linemia/HQ00896
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-09, 11:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Too much insulin is definitely not good. But our body does make it for a reason. Sometimes people get caught up into black and white thinking and forget that insulin does have an important role to play, even outside of keeping our blood sugar in control.

So yes, eating protein will raise your insulin. If you eat too much, it might even cause too much blood sugar as a % of it will get converted to glucose.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-09, 11:53

Plan: PP/Atkins/IF Maintenance
Stats: 195/138/140 Female 66"
BF:33%/20%
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Studley
Hi All,

No big deal, but I want to understand anything that is going on with my body. Maybe I was just relaxed with a full stomach, but it sure felt like I had eaten a ton of refined sugar.
Any ideas?
Thanks
David

It is more likely from the canned tomatoes than from too much protein. Yes extra protein can convert to glucose in the body. This is done by the liver on pretty much a daily basis if you are low carb. The reason this happens is because we do have a few organs that prefer sugar, and at least one that requires it and therefor the liver can take protein and convert it to up to two cups a sugar a day. (This is for it to go to organs.) This is a natural process and when eating low carb we allow our liver to do what it is meant to and control the amount of sugar made from protein and to a small degree fat. The Eades discuss this in both Protein Power and Protein Power LifePlan.

So I strongly suspect the tomatoes, which are different than fresh tomatoes...they are more concentrated!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-09, 16:19

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Pre-diabetes is a diabetic condition, in that you have to treat it in the same way as you would diabetes. It is more or less like having diabetes but having had the luxury of getting an early warning and if you heed that warning, you can avoid the bigger battle that a diagnosis of type 2 often entails.

You seem to be taking it seriously enough for now, but realize, the need for attention to your health will never go away, or it will worsten with time....

That can of tomatoes is probably what did it for you... Just a suggestion, take it or leave it, but ditching canned/boxes/pre-packaged products and switching to fresh whole foods makes things a lot easier to control without having to look at labels and counting and trying to remember how much you had earlier in the day, etc..... Lifestyle changes are only an inconvience until it becomes routine, then it isn't a change, just your lifestyle...

good luck and don't ignore it like I did. My early warning was in 1997, ignored it, all was seemingly good for 5 years, then in 2002 my world came unglued....