Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 13:48
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Default Bring back the FAT!

Less of a war-zone argument, more of a war-cry thread.

I remember when steaks had a big innertube of fat along the edge, and now they trim that away. Put it back!!

If you want to buy a pork shoulder to barbecue, you have to special-order it ahead of time if you want that blanket of fat left on the top of it. Leave that on there!

I've realized that the new cookbook coming out that is all about Fat has given me some hope that minds will change about this.

So I was thinking, what other foods have they taken the fat out of, where it should go back? How far back do we have to look for recipes that aren't replacing butter with applesauce or something? If canned soups had more fat and no HFCS or modified food starch, do you think they would be edible?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 13:53
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Spaghetti sauce sold in jars. Once upon a time these contained olive oil and no added sugars. They tasted good. They are now so sweet I have no idea how anyone eats them. Just yuck!

I buy an imported brand that has no sugar added when I'm in a hurry, but usually I now make my own.

ETA: Another one -- barbecue sauce. I remember when they were slightly sweet and had fat in them. They are now so sweet as to make me gag and have no fat.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 16:10
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

Chicken is one of the worst affected. The only piece of chicken I can buy now that has the skin left on it is the wing. I have to buy a whole chicken and cut it up or special order chicken with skin on. There’s nothing more pitiful than to see a skinless chicken leg……..

Just last week I went to buy some pork chops from a major supermarket but couldn’t find any that had more than a sliver of fat on them – I walked out.

Not only are they trimming all the fat, they’re working harder and harder at breeding leaner animals.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 16:22
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Oh yes, and boneless breasts with skin on are another thing you have to special order, usually. Bring those back!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 21:14

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabella
I remember when steaks had a big innertube of fat along the edge, and now they trim that away. Put it back!!
Now that you mention it, I haven't seen one since the late 60's - and I can actually picture the specific steak on the barbecue and recall the luscious smell of it too.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 21:34
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

When I buy a Steak, I look for a nice, fatty delmonico, but BF suprised me by buying me a lot of steak, they are all lean, and trimmed to death, I'll have to add a lot of butter.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 22:54
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Cream. Yeah, get ditch the carrageenan and diglycerides, and bring back the butterfat.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-08, 07:19

Stats: 149/140/110 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hey

Sherry
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-08, 07:33

Stats: 149/140/110 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Me

yes bring the fat back LOL
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-08, 23:13

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I tell my butcher "don't trim". So I guess I ask to bring back the fat on the meat I buy at the butcher. It's ironic and maybe a little stupid that they should fatten the cattle right before the sale yet the butcher trims the fat off when he sells it.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 06:26

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I find that the smaller, privately owned grocery stores have meat with the fat still on them. I buy most of my meats from stores like this. They still sell the 10 lb bags of leg quarters (with skin and fat) and the pork chops, briskets, and steaks have plenty of fat on them. I live in the deep south though and we love the flavor of fat, haha. Here, it's the larger chain grocery stores that sell the trimmer tasteless meats. I remember buying some Tyson pork chops from Wal Mart and it tasted like chicken due to the lack of fat.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 09:42
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

From having lived in different places, I'll offer up that rural stores or those located in poorer neighborhoods is where I find fattier meats. The more upscale/urban the less fat on meat.

I was shocked when we moved 2 years ago and I found pork that had a lot of fat in it. It was like moving 20 years back in time. It's cheap (relatively speaking) and it tastes good, too.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 11:32

Stats: 160/155/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

You should at least have the option to get the ones with the fat! They are super tasty that way... And on the bbq the fat is a must have. Where do I sign the petition? lol

#14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 12:48

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I just bought a strip primal at my local grocer for $2.99 a pound...sliced free. Lots of fat on that baby. Too much, in fact. I did some trimming myself and put the fat aside to make suet squares for the birds and squirrels this winter. But I now have 12 huge strip steaks 1 1/2" thick in my freezer and it only cost me around 55 bucks plus some of the local critters are going to eat well.

If you have one in your area, check out Costco if you want untrimmed meats; briskets and pork shoulders always have plenty of fat on them but buy the ones still in their cryo sleeves...not the ones that have been trimmed and repackaged. If you don't want to butcher your own meat, they're usually more than willing to cut it to order for free.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 13:33
Operation Ann 2013

Stats: 310/297.0/150 Female 5ft 1 in
BF:Of course!! :)
Progress: 8%

Remember when Pork Chops had fat like that, and they tasted simply marvelous fried in a pan......crispy fat on pork.........pork fat does rule!!! (shakes head, I did NOT say that)