Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 09:39

Plan: Atkins to SBD
Stats: 216/161/150 Male 164 cm
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default need to go for SBD- i need help

Hi,

I singed in some time back on May however this is my first post here as I was reading a lot rather than writing. But now I need a help form any one that had this experience on the following:

I started Atkins induction phase on 1st of May this year till now and a lost a lot of weight (45 lbs from 213 lb to 168 lb) and now I am thinking to change to a program that will allow me to continue to lose weight and keep it away plus it should be something that I can live with.

For this reason I am thinking about doing SBD however after this long time of doing strict induction I am afraid adding milk and seeds and other food allowed on SDB phase1 without talking about the fruits in phase2 will have a big impact on my metabolism that used to very low amount of carbs.

Please any suggesting that can help me to decide what to do?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 09:51
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadi
Hi,

I singed in some time back on May however this is my first post here as I was reading a lot rather than writing. But now I need a help form any one that had this experience on the following:

I started Atkins induction phase on 1st of May this year till now and a lost a lot of weight (45 lbs from 213 lb to 168 lb) and now I am thinking to change to a program that will allow me to continue to lose weight and keep it away plus it should be something that I can live with.

For this reason I am thinking about doing SBD however after this long time of doing strict induction I am afraid adding milk and seeds and other food allowed on SDB phase1 without talking about the fruits in phase2 will have a big impact on my metabolism that used to very low amount of carbs.

Please any suggesting that can help me to decide what to do?

Thanks.

Hi and Welcome!!

IMO...I think that your choice to switch over to the SBD now is a wise one!! However, I would not worry about adding in the good carbs that we are allowed to eat in phase I. It will be a good path for your body before you start phase II and add fruit.

Phase I will have you eating 2 cups of reduced fat or fat free dairy daily, 1 portion of nuts or seeds and 2 servings of beans, 1/3 to 1/2 cup beans is a serving. You can slow it down by adding in 1 serving beans and 1 cup of dairy....then up it the second week.

Have you seen the SBD phase I food lists and Meal Plan guide? They are pinned at the top of this forum.

Hope this helps!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 10:57
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 225/177/180 Male 71 inches
BF:14.5%
Progress: 107%

You may experience a temporary gain as you replenish glycogen stores in your body which also bind water to them, but in the long run you will be better off eating good carbs and getting a greater array of foods and nutrients for your body to work with. Take a long term view, which you appear to be doing, and don't fret the short term fluctuations that may occur from transitioning.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 18:03

Stats: 225/138/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I did induction from March until June, when I switched over to SB. I started with Phase I, adding milk and beans into my diet. Neither of these were a daily staple, more like 3 to 4 times a week. I did not experience any gains, in fact, I lost 5 lbs the first week! I have steadily lost 1 to 2 lbs per week since then and I am doing 1 starch and 1 fruit per day as well as the beans and milk. Oh! And NO counting of carbs either, but I know I am well above the 20g induction limit. Based upon my experience, I wouldn't think you would have any problems with the switch as long as you follow the guidelines. Of course, as with everything else, YMMV.
Good luck
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 23:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Hi and Welcome!!

IMO...I think that your choice to switch over to the SBD now is a wise one!! However, I would not worry about adding in the good carbs that we are allowed to eat in phase I. It will be a good path for your body before you start phase II and add fruit.

Phase I will have you eating 2 cups of reduced fat or fat free dairy daily, 1 portion of nuts or seeds and 2 servings of beans, 1/3 to 1/2 cup beans is a serving. You can slow it down by adding in 1 serving beans and 1 cup of dairy....then up it the second week.

Have you seen the SBD phase I food lists and Meal Plan guide? They are pinned at the top of this forum.

Hope this helps!!

thank you for the recommendation. i did vist the food lists and meal plans guide and i have a copy with me now to prepar my self for SBD
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 23:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogaDude
You may experience a temporary gain as you replenish glycogen stores in your body which also bind water to them, but in the long run you will be better off eating good carbs and getting a greater array of foods and nutrients for your body to work with. Take a long term view, which you appear to be doing, and don't fret the short term fluctuations that may occur from transitioning.

long term plan that what i am looking for here and i hope that i will get it with SBD
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 23:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Renee~
I did induction from March until June, when I switched over to SB. I started with Phase I, adding milk and beans into my diet. Neither of these were a daily staple, more like 3 to 4 times a week. I did not experience any gains, in fact, I lost 5 lbs the first week! I have steadily lost 1 to 2 lbs per week since then and I am doing 1 starch and 1 fruit per day as well as the beans and milk. Oh! And NO counting of carbs either, but I know I am well above the 20g induction limit. Based upon my experience, I wouldn't think you would have any problems with the switch as long as you follow the guidelines. Of course, as with everything else, YMMV.
Good luck

this is realy very nice to hear thank you Renee..
this will encourage me to move into SBD..
but i have some qusations to you when you say 1 starch and 1 fruit do you mean 1 serving?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-07, 04:11
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Hi, I did atkins and like you, lost a ton of weight before my weight loss stalled out.
I lost over 50lbs and then started SB - my weight loss in the first week was 4lbs! It continued on like that with an average loss for me of between 1 - 2lbs a week.
Don't be afraid of the change, embrace it and you'll be fine
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-07, 05:56

Stats: 225/138/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
this is realy very nice to hear thank you Renee..
this will encourage me to move into SBD..
but i have some qusations to you when you say 1 starch and 1 fruit do you mean 1 serving?

Yes, one serving a day. I'm in Phase 2 now and usually I will have a fruit in the mornings, sometimes I will wait and have it as an evening snack. As for the starch, I haven't added any breads or grains back in yet, so it's a starchy veggie like baked sweet potatoes.
This is what I had yesterday, and it is a typical day for me.
B: Coffee, 1 small plum, 1 oz cheese
L: Salad w/ lett, tom, onion, refried beans, 1oz sour cream, jalapenos
D: Chicken, sweet potato, squash, 1 cup skim milk
S: 1 sugar free chocolate pudding, coffee

HTH
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-07, 06:34

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 170/144/135 Female 165cm
BF:no idea
Progress: 74%

Your menu seems a bit low on vegetables.

Or have you just not mentioned them . . .

2/3
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-07, 07:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/166/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have done well on Atkins but have been thinking about switching to SB as well. I do have a question about it though. As a type 2 diabetic staying below 30 carbs has kept my blood sugar under control. Does SB also help control BS. I read the book a long time ago and have recently loaned it to a friend.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-07, 08:41
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by serea
I have done well on Atkins but have been thinking about switching to SB as well. I do have a question about it though. As a type 2 diabetic staying below 30 carbs has kept my blood sugar under control. Does SB also help control BS. I read the book a long time ago and have recently loaned it to a friend.

Only you know who much carb you can eat to keep your blood sugar stable. There are many Type 2 diabetics on SBD who do not have swings in their BS. Do you exercise every day?

If you start out on phase I, it will bring your carb way higher than 30 a day if you eat 2 servings of beans a day and 2 cups of dairy a day.....each person body handles it differently. You can always cut back on the beans and dairy.

Have you seen the Updated Food Lists and Meal Plan Guides pinned near the top of this forum?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-07, 14:34
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
thank you for the recommendation. i did vist the food lists and meal plans guide and i have a copy with me now to prepar my self for SBD

Great!!

Now I'm going to give you a little lecture....so I'll be stepping up on my soapbox now

You say that you stayed on Induction the whole time you were losing....did you read the Atkins book? do you know about the OWL phase II of atkins? Those who do not follow OWL, as you did, find themselves where you are, at goal and not knowing how or what carbs to eat and not gain back weight.

I'm putting it here to show you that our phase I is close to atkins OWL first rung....we eat dairy, nuts & seeds and beans in our phase I...so this will get your carbs up to start with...and as Renee and Hazel have said, they both lost after switching over.

The thing about switching over as that some people get too sure of themselves too quickly and end up eating too many processed carbs like bread and ice cream....so go slowly and avoid processed carbs, eat them in their whole state to start...build to the processed ones as you get further along.

For many people, switching and starting with our phase I gets their metabolism working better by adding in the low GI good carbs.

I hope this makes sense!!

/off my soap box now.

Quote:
Atkins Carbohydrate Ladder
From Laura Dolson,
Your Guide to Low Carb Diets.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by our Medical Review Board

Order of Preference for Carbs
This is the order of preference which Atkins recommends for adding carbohydrate food back into the diet during the Ongoing Weight Loss Phase (OWL). They are roughly ordered as to how glycemic they are:
More salad and other vegetables
Fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)
Nuts and Seeds
Berries, then melons
Dry wine (and other spirits low in carbs)
Legumes
Other Fruits
Starchy vegetables
Whole grains
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/at.../carbladder.htm

Quote:
The OWL Carbohydrate Ladder

The foods listed in each rung of the ladder below are examples of low AGR foods for their rung, unless noted to eat in moderation. This is intended to be an example of some of the foods you can eat, not an exhaustive list of all the foods you can eat.

Vegetables
More salad and other vegetables on the acceptable foods list

Dairy
Fresh cheeses:
Cottage cheese
Farmer's cheese
Ricotta cheese
Pot cheese

Keep portions small for
Hard aged cheese
Cream, heavy and light
Half and half
Sour cream
Low-carb ice cream, yogurt, and milk

Seeds and Nuts
Macadamias
Almonds
Peanuts/Natural Peanut Butter
Coconut
Sunflower seeds
Sesame seeds
Walnuts
Pistachios

Berries
Eat frequently from:
Strawberries
Blueberries
Blackberries
Raspberries

Eat moderately from higher AGR melons:
Watermelon
Honeydew
Cantaloupe

Wine and other spirits low in carbs
Spirits
White Wine
Red Wine
Low-carbohydrate Beer

Legumes
Lentils
Kidney Beans
Pinto Beans
Black Beans
Hummus
Chickpeas
Tofu
Soybeans
Soy milk, unsweetened

Fruits other than Berries and Melons
Plums
Kiwis
Peaches
Apples
Grapefruit
Tangerines

Starchy Vegetables
Keep all portions small
Carrots
Green Peas
Acorn squash
Butternut squash

Eat rarely:
Corn
Potatoes
Sweet potatoes

Whole Grains
Keep all portions small and focus on whole, unprocessed grains:
Old fashioned Oatmeal (Steel cut oats
Oat Bran
Wheat Bran
Low-carb (soy) bread and muffins
All-bran
Barley, cooked
http://www.wine-making.me.uk/atkins...ate-ladder.html
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-07, 17:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/166/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Judy, Thanks for the information. I will check it out. Yes, I do exercise every day and that also helps with my blood sugar.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-07, 20:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Great!!

Now I'm going to give you a little lecture....so I'll be stepping up on my soapbox now

You say that you stayed on Induction the whole time you were losing....did you read the Atkins book? do you know about the OWL phase II of atkins? Those who do not follow OWL, as you did, find themselves where you are, at goal and not knowing how or what carbs to eat and not gain back weight.

I'm putting it here to show you that our phase I is close to atkins OWL first rung....we eat dairy, nuts & seeds and beans in our phase I...so this will get your carbs up to start with...and as Renee and Hazel have said, they both lost after switching over.

The thing about switching over as that some people get too sure of themselves too quickly and end up eating too many processed carbs like bread and ice cream....so go slowly and avoid processed carbs, eat them in their whole state to start...build to the processed ones as you get further along.

For many people, switching and starting with our phase I gets their metabolism working better by adding in the low GI good carbs.

I hope this makes sense!!

/off my soap box now.

First of all thank you very much for the good information and support which I am sure it will help me a lot.

Then I will answer your question as follow:

Yes I did read Dr. Atkins book but my problem is I don't count carbs and i don't like to do that!!
I just lower my carb as much as I can but without counting the grams.
So, when Dr. Atkins recommend adding 5 grams each week on OWL till you reach to the limit actually I didn’t count my carbs during induction in the first place. and this is one of the things that I hope SBD will be better for me where we look for serving size not grams counts.

Thanks