Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 19:12
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default White chocolate?

I have been wanting to make a white chocolate mousse recently. I have some of the Gosh Thats Good white velvet powder which I use to make lattes and sometimes whip up with cream and I do like it but it just isnt the same as the white chocolate mousse I make with melted chunks of white chocolate.

I have looked all over and cannot find any sugar free white chocolate that is made without SAs (well, erythritol is okay) anyone know where I can find some? I believe its just cocoa butter, milk (cream?) and sweetener. Is there some reason this isnt being sold anywhere? Has anyone tried making some? Does anyone know if chocoperfection has plans on making a white version?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 19:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
I have looked all over and cannot find any sugar free white chocolate that is made without SAs (well, erythritol is okay) anyone know where I can find some? I believe its just cocoa butter, milk (cream?) and sweetener. Is there some reason this isnt being sold anywhere? Has anyone tried making some? Does anyone know if chocoperfection has plans on making a white version?

This is, like, 5 different questions!

White chocolate isn't really chocolate, as I'm sure you know, cuz it has no cocoa mass/liquor, just the cocoa butter, with of course, some dairy, "sugar" and the all-important vanilla (and usually a little emulsifier, lecithin, that kind of thing).

Years ago, there was a little bit of an experiment going on, me and another LCer (can't remember who) when this forum had a LOT fewer people on it, we were trying to make white chocolate, but didn't get very far (I had a heck of a time getting pure cocoa butter then). It should be do-able, however, the only tricky bit I can think of is the blending of the dairy and the cocoa butter.

Is there some reason "this" isn't being sold anywhere? Who knows? Demand isn't big enough? As for Chocoperfection, do they have a website you can browse, or contact?

Meanwhile, if I wanted to make a mousse, I'd just make the mouse with the cocoa butter (melted) as "normal", but just increasing the sweetener and vanilla and cream separately, then blending all together. Sounds like a lot less work to me...what's your "old" white chocolate mousse recipe?

#3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 22:34
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

The original high carb recipe is

1/4 lb. white chocolate, chopped
3 Tbs. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3 eggs
1/8 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. confectioners’ sugar

Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set over but not touching barely simmering water in a saucepan. Heat, stirring, until the chocolate melts, about 2 minutes. Add the butter and continue to stir until the butter melts and is incorporated, 30 to 60 seconds.

Separate 1 egg, placing the white in a large bowl and adding the yolk to the chocolate. Quickly whisk in the yolk, fully incorporating it. Repeat with the remaining 2 eggs. Remove the bowl from over the saucepan and let cool to lukewarm.

Add the salt to the egg whites. Using an electric mixer set on medium-high speed, beat the whites until stiff peaks form, then beat in the confectioners’ sugar. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate, being careful not to deflate the whites.

Spoon the mixture into a large bowl or individual glasses. Cover and refrigerate until very firm, at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours. Serve well chilled. Serves 4.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 22:37
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

I will add that it works well with low carb chocolate bars like chocoperfection and eat well be well but I get in the mood for a white chocolate mousse sometimes.

I also garnish with chocolate shavings and raspberries/raspberry puree.

I have written to chocoperfection a couple of weeks ago but I received no reply :-(
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-07, 00:00
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Quote:
I have some of the Gosh Thats Good white velvet powder which I use to make lattes and sometimes whip up with cream and I do like it but it just isnt the same as the white chocolate mousse I make with melted chunks of white chocolate.

Is this like a cocoa or more like a flavoring?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-07, 00:02
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Meanwhile, if I wanted to make a mousse, I'd just make the mouse with the cocoa butter (melted) as "normal", but just increasing the sweetener and vanilla and cream separately, then blending all together. Sounds like a lot less work to me...what's your "old" white chocolate mousse recipe?

Any approx amounts Jude?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-07, 02:01
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
Is this like a cocoa or more like a flavoring?

Its more like a cocoa. You can read about it here http://www.goshthatsgood.com/

Its quite good when you whip it up with some cream. No sweetener is necessary. I also use much less of it than the suggested amount.

I purchase it from here https://www.baristaproshop.com/cata....php?brandid=29 They have the best price I have found and their shipping is reasonable.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 00:55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
Any approx amounts Jude?

I've actually been thinking on this one, and "borrowed" Ming Tsai's Master Chocolate Mousse recipe as a base.

Ingredients look like this:
  • 4 oz cocoa butter
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup sugar equivalent
  • 1 Tbsp pure vanilla
  • 1 C heavy cream, whipped
  • pinch salt
Whatcha think? Basic recipe process is the same, melt the cocoa butter and the butter; beat and temper in the egg yolks with the sweetener, over heat; beat the heavy cream with the pinch of salt, then fold all thee mixtures together. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

#9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 02:04
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Oooh that sounds good. I will have to try that, probably next weekend when I get back. If someone gets to try it sooner please let me know how it turns out.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 14:54
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Its more like a cocoa. You can read about it here http://www.goshthatsgood.com/

Its quite good when you whip it up with some cream. No sweetener is necessary. I also use much less of it than the suggested amount.

I purchase it from here https://www.baristaproshop.com/cata....php?brandid=29 They have the best price I have found and their shipping is reasonable.

Did you ever see an ingredient list for the Gosh that's Good No Sugar Added White Velvet?
I got mine today and expected to see a list of ingredient on the package and there was none......that always makes me wonder.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 19:50
Registered Member

I think I have the info around here SOMEWHERE (I'm such a packrat) and the website has only nutritional info...
http://www.goshthatsgood.com/NutFacts.asp

...but the package should look like this (hey, maybe a magnifying glass?):

Last edited by IslandGirl : Wed, Aug-01-07 at 19:57.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 20:18
Kitchen Experimenter

What I got has that picture and name on it but no other writing.

When I called Barista Pro Shop on the phone today they put me on hold and never came back.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-07, 01:38
Registered Member

Fun with dick and jane...

So I blew up the image as much as possible, and it's really grainy, but I'm sure the first two ingredients are nonfat milk and partially hydrogenated something (soybean? coconut?) oil. What that tells me is this product is essentially a non-dairy creamer base with the right flavours and perhaps some slightly different proportions.

I've found the product info I have here and there's no Ingredients List there either, but a lot of marketing stuff...(samples and sales bumpf).

I must say, I'm a bit disappointed to see the partially hydrogenated in there, but not really surprised. Darn.

I've emailed the goshthatsgood people and will post if I get any details.

Ta!

#14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-07, 01:40
Registered Member

But Kevin, are you wandering around your kitchen trying out my flying recipe for white chocolate mousse? I know you're there, and probably awake, too though I HAVE to pack it in and get my minimum 5 hours of sleep now...

#15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-07, 03:59
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
But Kevin, are you wandering around your kitchen trying out my flying recipe for white chocolate mousse? I know you're there, and probably awake, too though I HAVE to pack it in and get my minimum 5 hours of sleep now...

lol I'm awake but not ready to tackle the mousse yet. I was sitting here planning how to approach coverting ChristiansMom's Cinnamon Swirl Coffeecake.