Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 08:18

Plan: combination
Stats: 140/123/120 Female 5'7"
BF:24.2%
Progress: 85%
Default Rebounder (mini trampoline)

I'd like to hear about anybody else's experience with these.

I'm debating whether I should keep mine or not. I bought it last year because I read that jumping on it just two minutes a day will completely exchange (filter?, flush?) your lymph fluids and of course all the other benefits that you get from exercising. I quit using it when I read that all the benefits from rebounding can be had by walking. Walking also gives you that up and down motion to flush the lymph glands. So, since I was already walking I quit rebounding.

After reading The Fat Flush Plan last week I dragged it back out of the closet and put it in the middle of the living room floor and I've been using it twice a day for a couple of minutes each time. Sometimes I'll just pass by and do a few jumping jacks on it just for the heck of it or to relieve nervous tension after a phone call from my mother.

Since I lost my weight pretty quick I'm kind of saggy and weak and rebounding two minutes is about all I can do before getting too winded. I suspect I lost way more of my lean muscle tissue than I should have. I don't think I ate enough protein and I don't think the walking did enough to preserve my muscles.

I'd really like to find out if rebounding has any great value over and above just being good exercise. I'm sure it's fine exercise and some people think it's fun so they're more likely to do it, (which is good enough reason I guess) but is it really any more EFFECTIVE than any other exercising?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 11:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/141.8/149 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 108%

I don't know that any form of exercise is more effective than another - it's more about what you WILL do consistantly. All forms of exercise have benefits and drawbacks that range from calorie burn to how hard they are on your body/joints.

I have a Rebounder and I love it, as do my kids. I have a set of Rebounding videos that I use with it and will be adding to that collection over the next few months as well. There are some great videos for it out there! If you don't have any, I'd suggest getting some so that you're doing more on it than just jumping jacks.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-05, 12:00

Hi Brook, could I ask you a couple of questions? I've stuck with this (amazing for me!) and I'm up to doing it 10 minutes a day now. I don't do anything more than jump on it because I have to use my hands to hold my bosom. I've tried wearing two sports bras but they still feel uncomfortably loose, it's not that they're big but the jumping up and down hurts! Maybe because I'm waiting on TOM?

Also, I always have to use the bathroom first because jumping makes my bladder (or something )feel like it's about to joggle loose. Is this a normal sensation for a beginner? I have this fear of my husband coming home unexpectedly and finding me jumping wearing nothing but Depends and duct tape.

Thanks for any advice!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-05, 00:57

Plan: sugar bad, gluten worse
Stats: 230/191/160 Female 65 inches
BF:too/too/much
Progress: 56%
Default new to rebounding

i had to get a big time sports bra but it does seem to be helping. about the bladder thing, that makes perfect sense to go first. think of all that fluid sloshing around!

my worst problem is that i don't feel at all steady. balance is an issue for me anyway, and i did get a rebounder with a stabilizing bar. and i hang onto it for dear life. the other thing is, i wish i had spent the extra bucks and gotten one that folded. it's kinda taken up residence in the middle of the dining room simply because there isn't anyplace else!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 11:52

Quote:
i wish i had spent the extra bucks and gotten one that folded

I got the kind that folds up (that's how it's been in the closet all year ) but it takes too much time to fold it all up so it just stays out in the living room too. Sometimes I move it into another room so I have something else to look at while I jump.

I wish I'd gotten the stabilizer bar too, although I don't have any free hands, lol, so I don't know how I'd hang onto it. I'm going to try a sports bra that's too small. My bosom isn't big it's just loose and jiggly. Yeah well so's the rest of me. My behind needs a sports bra too. It jumps too.

The bladder thing sort of worries me. It's not the liquid so much, it feels like the organs themselves are loose and jiggly in there. I guess they can't be though. I've never heard of Shaken Bladder Syndrome.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 12:00

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I know what you mean I think it is because you have to tighten your abdominal muscle.
You could do this before rebounding. I had a tight stomach friend who had little tricks with her stomach muscle like always tighten it going down stairs or crossing a street, what ever works.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 11:42

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Your funny Rosieo - duct tape and depends ... lol

How much room do those things take up? I don't have any furniture in my living room - maybe I should get one.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 13:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

LOL! Duct Tape and Depends. I should be getting my Needak Rebounder today. I used to sometimes feel a little loss of bladder control, nothing too problematic fortunately, when doing jumping jacks in karate, so hopefully this won't be a problem for me. I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it!

You can always buy a stabilizer bar for models that support them, afterwards.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 14:01
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

http://http://www.healthbounce.com/33ways.htm

Here are 33 reasons to keep using your rebounder. I love mine! I rebound, use an elliptical, walk, and go to the gym. The rebounder is the most fun. If you don't already, make sure your bladder is empty before bounding, and also you may want to start incorporating kegel exercises into your daily routine to help tighten up the pelvic floor muscles

Lisa
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 15:14

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Drat, I tried that link and it didn't work. I'll try it again later.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 15:44
Experimenter

BF:

There's one too many http:// on it. Try this: http://www.healthbounce.com/33ways.htm
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 16:53

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Duct tape and Depends that's probably me! I have also been thinking about a rebounder. We bought a folding one at Wally World but couldn't get it together so took it back. I have about 55 lbs to lose and when I tried walking my hip started hurting so I stop. It took about a month or more for the pain to go away.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 18:40
Experimenter

BF:

Well, I got my rebounder today and put it together. I made sure to use the toilet before bouncing but... I ended up losing a bit of urine anyway! I must not be emptying my bladder completely when I go.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 18:57
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

http://www.healthbounce.com/33ways.htm

Does this one work?? Sorry for the double http .

I say put on your depends, wrap it in duct tape and bounce away!!!

Lisa
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-05, 09:35

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Nancy - did you get your rebounder from Healthsource?
Does anyone recommend a certain type?