Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 20:49

Plan: Atkins Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 6 Feet 1 Inch
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Just curious........What happens to Stretch marks?

Do they fade? Just stay there? Go Away? what?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 21:02

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

They fade.

Mine used to be SO dark, purple, now...they are white/silvery. They are scars, they don't really go away they just fade in color.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 11:57

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Fade.

Wear contrasty underwear. No-one will notice.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 14:25

BF:

True enough lol.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 01:56

Plan: my own
Stats: 200/144/120 Female 5'4"
BF:?%/21.4%/15%
Progress: 70%

They remain as white silvery streaks, but I hear moisturizing your skin can help prevent new ones. Not too sure. The more I lose weight the more noticable they become on my belly anyway.
I guess it's good to focus on other good parts about your body. Stretch marks are normal and most people have some. I also read somewhere that fake tans can hide them, haven't tried that yet. Maybe someday.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 11:52

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 198/137/120 Female 5'3
BF:25.2
Progress: 78%

Unfortunately for now, there is no "cure" for existing stretch marks. And in reality nothing disguises them or really hides them unless you stay dressed or in darkness. I've got these truly hideous ones UNDER my arms back towards my armpits. For the first time in my life I have defined biceps, its incredible but I hate wearing sleeveless tops because I'm afraid that I'll forget and lift up my arms and reveal the nasty stretch marks.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 17:09

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

XXXXXXXXXX
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 17:44

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
I've got these truly hideous ones UNDER my arms back towards my armpits.

Me, too. I have no idea why that particular area would be marked. My armpits? Good god!

Quote:
And in reality nothing disguises them or really hides them unless you stay dressed or in darkness.

Yet people keep spending money trying to make them go away. Same with loose skin after your body has settled into a huge weight loss. It's just gonna be there.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 19:00

BF:

The loose skin and stretch marks are a good reminder of a place you don't want to go back to. It's almost like battle scars lol.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 09:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayustar
The loose skin and stretch marks are a good reminder of a place you don't want to go back to. It's almost like battle scars lol.

I could see that, and yet I still don't want them there at all! Why can't they be removed? Don't surgeons see the potential windfall that would come if they only discovered the "cure" for problems such as these? I mean I will NEVER be able to wear a bathing suit no matter how "in shape" I am because I have stretch marks that run (I've recently discovered) from the hips to the backs of my knees. Oh yes, I'm like the Thomas Guide map.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 10:44

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Surgeons already have a cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vgal
Don't surgeons see the potential windfall that would come if they only discovered the "cure" for problems such as these?

You just can't afford it, because it's elective surgery and not covered by most US health insurance, presuming you have that.

A friend just had her loose skin removed. Two operations, one of which was major surgery; threw a blood clot that required additional hospitalization.

Stretch marks fade in time. In a few more years, people are going to be paying for tattoo removal and it will be just like Lasik is today, advertised in the Sunday funnies and "no interest" payment plans.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
You just can't afford it, because it's elective surgery and not covered by most US health insurance, presuming you have that.

A friend just had her loose skin removed. Two operations, one of which was major surgery; threw a blood clot that required additional hospitalization.

Stretch marks fade in time. In a few more years, people are going to be paying for tattoo removal and it will be just like Lasik is today, advertised in the Sunday funnies and "no interest" payment plans.

I'll mortgage the house, sell my soul, hell I'd sell my brother if I could have access to that type of surgery!!! The problem is it doesn't exist as of now. Stretch marks are a problem for me NOW and they don't fade ENOUGH. Trust me on that. Sure they fade, but they don't DISAPPEAR.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 18:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/143.0/130 Female 5foot3inches
BF:42.4/37.0/?
Progress: 61%

The BEST thing that you can do for stretch marks is to rub Vitamen E oil on them twice a day, this not only helps fade the stretch marks, but it is really good for your skin. This does work after time, because I have tried it. Thats the cheapest, or there is one cream that is advertised on tv that u can get at like walmart, im sure it works pretty good, just look around and you will see it- I think its called SOMETHING like Mederma or Mcderma, i forogt. I use vitamen E oil everyday and I also use: stretch mark solution body butter with 100% cocoa unitanical- Its from the pure simplicity line at Bath and Body Works- you should try it as well, and they will fade! All while doing this, get a tan, they help fade them alot, and if your paranoid about tanning beds or the natural sun, get a mystic tan, Tanning helps make you not be able to see them at all, that- plus the creams, you wont be able to see them at all! Hope I could help!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 22:38

Plan: Control Carb-own program
Stats: 188/163/125 Female 5ft  3.5 inches
BF:?
Progress: 40%

I've got them all over my body too, I don't know what will happen to them. Judy
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-21-06, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenley1
The BEST thing that you can do for stretch marks is to rub Vitamen E oil on them twice a day, this not only helps fade the stretch marks, but it is really good for your skin. This does work after time, because I have tried it. Thats the cheapest, or there is one cream that is advertised on tv that u can get at like walmart, im sure it works pretty good, just look around and you will see it- I think its called SOMETHING like Mederma or Mcderma, i forogt. I use vitamen E oil everyday and I also use: stretch mark solution body butter with 100% cocoa unitanical- Its from the pure simplicity line at Bath and Body Works- you should try it as well, and they will fade! All while doing this, get a tan, they help fade them alot, and if your paranoid about tanning beds or the natural sun, get a mystic tan, Tanning helps make you not be able to see them at all, that- plus the creams, you wont be able to see them at all! Hope I could help!

Based on all the reading and research I've done, those creams don't work. Maybe they can be affective on certain skin types, but most Dermatologists will tell you they are a waste of time and money. Trust me, if those guys wanted to make a buck they'd be promoting the latest line, but with this particular issue - there's nothing on the market that combats stretch marks in the way we'd like.

I'd heard that tanning can be slimming and help make stretch marks and other "blemishes" disappear, but when I used one of those tan lotions, all it did was make me coloured and the lines WHITER! They didn't fade or disappear, only become more obvious. Has this ever happened to anyone else?