Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 18:23

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%
Default It's Triathlon Season!

Hey all you triathletes and wannabe's. Summer is right around the corner and several triathlons are being scheduled.

I am doing my first triathlon in 7 weeks.

I would love to hear from you, and talk training routines, schedules and events.

Ironmans, Teams, Runners, Cyclists, Swimmers, Kayakers........all welcome.

J.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 07:04
The Spandex Killer

Stats: 206.2/206.2/145 Female 5'9.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

What length tri are you doing? I did my first (and only so far) tri two years ago -- it was only a Sprint level, but it was ALOT of fun. Now one of my fitness goals is to do the same tri this time next year.

When I did that first tri I found out that I was under-trained for the swimming portion. Open water swimming in a crowd was a totally new experience. I had trained in a pool at the gym where nobody crosses into your lane and elbows you in the throat (!!!) -- but I really should have done alot of river swims to prepare better. Fortunately, the swim was first and I had all my energy for it. As short as it was I still suffered.

Eventually, I'd like to move up to an Olympic level tri. I've read all about the Ironman length tris -- the one in my area is the Great Floridian. It looks like a killer race and the heat and humidity here in Florida add an extra dimension of pain. I don't know that I'll ever have the fitness to do one that length.

But it sure would be cool!

You mention kayakers -- are there tris that include kayaking, because I've not seen one. I'm a kayaker (I live less than two blocks from a perfect launch spot), I love it.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 22:21

Oh Yeah!

Yeah! Kayakers!

The Triathlon that I'm doing is a Run, Bike, Kayak Triathlon, and it's a mini. 10K Run, 20K Bike and 10K Kayak. I don't like swimming that much so I don't have much interest in the Swim/Bike/Run ones.

I am doing the triathlon "Ironman-Style", versus doing it as a "Team-Relay". I'll be doing each segment myself, rather than having a member of the team doing each segment.

I'm new to kayaking and today I spent a few hours at the Salt-Water-Festival at Half Moon Bay, California. I tried out several different kayaks and I really like the Perception Shadow amd the Dagger Meridian. what kind to kayak do you use? Maybe you want to try a Tri that includes kayaking instead of swimming. I think it sounds like a lot more fun!

J.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 13:50
The Spandex Killer

Stats: 206.2/206.2/145 Female 5'9.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

That's way cool! I've never seen a kayak tri offered in my area -- they are all swim/bike/run. I'll have to look around some, my hubby would flip for a tri that includes kayaking. Plus, you're right, getting kicked in the face during the swim start really blows.

We have four kayaks (three sit-on-tops and one tandem)

- Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro (my favorite)

- Perception Swing (second favorite)

- Hobie Malibu (very wide and comfie and your but stays dry, but terrible tracking)

- Wilderness Systems Pamlico (the tandem)

We live right next to a brand new park that was built to host our county's crew team -- so it has a floating launch dock. Perfect! Launches right into the Grand canal and it is a short pull out to the river. Really great, we love it.

We also live two blocks from the beach in the other direction for when we want to do a little ocean kayaking. The things you'll see just past the breakers in a kayak will make you think more than TWICE about swimming in the ocean!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 05:51
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/188/165
BF:
Progress: 45%

Our season started a while back I have already done 2 sprints and an olympic this year. Got a few more sprints lined up and then hopefully a half ironman in September. I just have to get that 13 mile run down. After 55 miles on the bike that is going to be rough
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 14:46

ChessyPoof,

I just love Florida! It's my favorite place to vacation!! And it sounds like you have a great situation when it comes to kayaking!!! I've rented a Perception Shadow for my Tri and will be spending a lot time on it over the next month. We have a pretty good variety of places to kayak here in the San Francisco Bay Area, but none are as close for me,as they are for you.

Dug,

I agree that the run is the hardest part of it. I have always had knee pain when I do a lot of running. Yesterday, I picked up some of the running-specific socks by 'Thorlo's' and some 'Graphite-Orthotic' running shoe inserts. I use New Balance 717's, which I am told are great running shoes. I also have an appointment, tommorrow, to have my running stride analyzed by a physical therapist.

I would love to have some feedback on my training schedule for the running part. I'll be running on Monday PM, Wednesday PM, Friday PM and Sunday AM. My plan is:

........M......W......F......S:
wk1: 10%, 10%, 25%, 0%
wk2: 12%, 12%, 30%, 50%
wk3: 15%, 15%, 35%, 0%
wk4: 17%, 17%, 40%, 50%
wk5: 20%, 20%, 45%, 50%
wk6: 22%, 22%, 50%, 50%
wk7: 25%, 25%, 0%, 100%=(this is the day of the tri)

I would to hear feedback from experienced triathletes!

J.

P.S. I should also mention that I usually spend a hour on Monday and Wednesday and 90 minutes on Fridays doing elliptical training and three hours on Sundays doing mountain biking. All of the 'running' training is being diverted from the elliptical and mountain biking workouts. I'll be spending a minimum of 35 hours in the kayak, and at least 35 hours on the bike, between now and the time of the triathlon. Also, I will have completed at least twelve long-distance bike rides (of at least 35K), for this season, by the time of the triathlon. It's the running that concerns me the most.

Last edited by loCarbJ : Mon, Jun-07-04 at 15:39.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 15:56

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:

I am not an experienced triathlete (I am a pathetic biker), but have some running/swimming experience:-)

Does in your running plan % means % of the 10k?
In this case I would like to recommend some changes. Increasing the Sunday long run by 10% every week (I am not sure it is a good idea, to run 10k, after having the longest run 5k.) Keep down 25-35% all the weekday runs, and up only the Sunday long runs.

Something else: if you have sensitive knees, during this training period skip the elliptical. Running is more than enough for "mature" knees :-))) Unfortunately running is a leg killing activity because of the pounding effect. The ONLY way to prepare your legs is running.

New Balance is an excellent choice. Do you know what kind of surface the running part is on? Asphalt, packed dirt, etc?

Eva

Last edited by Galadriell : Tue, Jun-08-04 at 08:22.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 22:34

Hey Eva,

I was looking forward to hearing form you~! the running part of the triathlon is on packed dirt .

I enjoy doing elliptical training and it doesn't bother my knees, at all! I could could run a whole marathon on the elliptical trainer!

I tried my short run today with the Thorlo socks and the graphite-orthotic inserts. What a difference! ~NO KNEE PAIN AT ALL!~ I am very happy about that. The real test will be the longer run on Friday.

Eva, I get what you are saying about upping the weekend distances. I wasn't sure what you meant about keeping down 25-35% all the weekend (weekday?) runs. Are you saying that you think I should make a bigger difference between the weekday and weekend runs?

As someone that dislikes running, but loves cycling and kayaking; I designed a training program that minimizes the running and emphasizes the cycling and kayaking (any wonder?). I just hope that I am not minimizing the running too much!

J.

Last edited by loCarbJ : Tue, Jun-08-04 at 18:16.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 08:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loCarbJ
Hey Eva,

I was looking forward to hearing form you~! the running part of the triathlon is on packed dirt (: .

Eva, I get what you are saying about upping the weekend distances. I wasn't sure what you meant about keeping down 25-35% all the weekend (weekday?) runs. Are you saying that you think I should make a bigger difference between the weekday and weekend runs?

I just how that I am not minimizing the running too much!

J.
Packed dirt is a DREAM surface:-))) The easiest for the leg.

Sorry, I meant keeping down the weekDAY runs (it was a typo, I already corrected). Yes, it is better to have bigger difference between the weekday and weekend runs. Two SHORTER runs on Monday and Friday, and one LITTLE longer on Wednesday.

M: 2-2.5 miles, W: 3-3.5 miles F: 2-2.5 miles THEN a long one (5-6-7-8 miles) on Sunday.
(These miles are the maximum, not the minimum:-)))

Keeping these same short runs during the 7 weeks, and increasing only the Sunday runs with no more than 10%/week. I do not know, if you warm up or not before elliptical training, but I would recommend 5 -10 mins warm up (walk, slow jog) before and 5 mins cool down (walk) after every run.

Something else. It is possible to move either the Sunday run to Saturday or the Monday run to Tuesday? So there is a rest day after your long run?

M: 2-2.5 miles, Wed: 3-3.5miles, Fri: 2-2.5 miles - Sat: 5+miles
or:
Tue: 2-2.5 miles, Wed: 3-3.5 miles, Fri: 2-2.5 miles - Sun: 5+miles

I love the elliptical marathon idea. My dream would be an Olympic distance triathlon, where the biking part is on a STATIONARY bike . My problem with biking: my fear from traffic, from other bikers etc.

Oh, and have you heard about the Escape From Alcatraz Duathlon? I want to do it:-) Swimming and running only.

Have fun, take care:
Eva

Last edited by Galadriell : Tue, Jun-08-04 at 10:16.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 10:00
Registered Member

BF:

everyone is anxious when they first start riding around traffic and others. The best way to get over that is to find a group of recreational cyclists in your area and ride with them. There is almost always somebody willing to teach you etiquette and how to deal with the various situations that you will run into when riding. After you ride a dozen times or so you will begin to feel comfortable. And you will feel more comfortable with others than alone as a groups is seen by drivers far easier than a lone rider. Safety in numbers :-).

As for training check out www.columbiatriathlonclub.com to see the 1/2 ironman schedule that a couple of us are going to try to train by. August looks like a bear.

I have always heard not to increase running mileage by anymore than 10% per week. My shins cause me the most issue but I know it is because I do too much too hard. I run in Nike Pegasus and find them to be good shoes, they helped alot with the shin splints.

dug
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 10:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug
everyone is anxious when they first start riding around traffic and others. The best way to get over that is to find a group of recreational cyclists in your area and ride with them. There is almost always somebody willing to teach you etiquette and how to deal with the various situations that you will run into when riding. After you ride a dozen times or so you will begin to feel comfortable. And you will feel more comfortable with others than alone as a groups is seen by drivers far easier than a lone rider. Safety in numbers :-).

dug
Thanks Dug,
for the encouraging words, to find a group is a great idea:-)))
My problem, that while we have a running club - accomodating the beginners too - at every corner, but our bikers SEEM too advanced for me. You are right, safety in numbers - every morning while we run we see dozens of bikers riding in huge groups.

I learned to bike very late, at age 14, and during the first week of my biking career a huge truck scared the hell out of me. It is hard to forget:-)
On the other hand I learned to swim at 4 in open water, so there is no current, wave, cold temperature etc. that can scare me:-)))

P.S.: Can you recommend me some books for BEGINNER bikers? To learn the lore of running from beginner to marathon level, I used Jeff Galloway's books - my running "Bible"s.

Last edited by Galadriell : Tue, Jun-08-04 at 10:40.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 11:03

Eva and Dug:

Thank you for your feedback! Thanks to your feedback, I have revised my plan slightly. Could you tell me which plan you think is better?

General Plan: Increase weekly mileage by 10%, and only by 5% during triathlon week:

Plan A:
wk1: 10%, 10%, 25%, 50%....=95%
wk2: 12%, 12%, 30%, 50%...=105%
wk3: 15%, 15%, 35%, 50%...=115%
wk4: 17%, 17%, 40%, 50%...=125%
wk5: 20%, 20%, 45%, 50%...=135%
wk6: 22%, 22%, 50%, 50%...=145%
wk7: 25%, 25%, 0%, 100%...=150% (the 100% day is the tri, and it's Saturday morning)

Plan B:
wk2: 10%, 10%, 35%, 50%...=105%
wk3: 10%, 10%, 45%, 50%...=115%
wk4: 10%, 10%, 55%, 50%...=125%
wk5: 10%, 10%, 65%, 50%...=135%
wk6: 10%, 10%, 75%, 50%...=145%
wk7: 25%, 25%, 0%, 100%...=150% (the 100% day is the tri, and it's Saturday morning)

Plan C:
wk2: 12%, 12%, 25%, 55%...=105%
wk3: 15%, 15%, 25%, 60%...=115%
wk4: 17%, 17%, 25%, 65%...=125%
wk5: 20%, 20%, 25%, 70%...=135%
wk6: 22%, 22%, 25%, 75%...=145%

Plan A & B would be the easiest for me to implement, because there are several sponsored runs on the weekends that I could run in and would enjoy more than running on a trendmill or by myself. On M,W & F; I run in the gym, on my way home from work.

Your comments are greatly appreciated!

J.

P.S. I work out a lot during the week, and not as much on the weekends. That's why I put my longer runs on Friday PM and Sun AM. So that I'll have more rest after them.

Last edited by loCarbJ : Tue, Jun-08-04 at 11:35.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 11:53
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriell
Thanks Dug,
for the encouraging words, to find a group is a great idea:-)))
My problem, that while we have a running club - accomodating the beginners too - at every corner, but our bikers SEEM too advanced for me. You are right, safety in numbers - every morning while we run we see dozens of bikers riding in huge groups.

You have to talk to the cyclists I am sure there are beginners welcomed on many of the rides. How else do you get folks involved :-). I didn't really start training on a bike until I was about 30ish. I rode for transportation as a kid, but didn't start racing until much later in life.

I learned to bike very late, at age 14, and during the first week of my biking career a huge truck scared the hell out of me. It is hard to forget:-)
On the other hand I learned to swim at 4 in open water, so there is no current, wave, cold temperature etc. that can scare me:-)))

About the only thing that scares me in open water would be jellyfish and man-o-wars. Swimming is one of thoes things I can just do.

P.S.: Can you recommend me some books for BEGINNER bikers? To learn the lore of running from beginner to marathon level, I used Jeff Galloway's books - my running "Bible"s.

I don't know of any books really, I learned from riding with folks and reading bicycling magazine.

If you call you locak shop I am sure they can direct you to the right place.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 14:26

After thinking about it further, I think that this is what I am going to go with, given my unique situation and limited time schedule:

The Plan:
..........M........W........F........S:
wk1: 12.5%, 12.5%, 25.0%, 50.0%...=100%
wk2: 15.0%, 15.0%, 35.0%, 50.0%...=115%
wk3: 17.5%, 17.5%, 45.0%, 50.0%...=130%
wk4: 20.0%, 20.0%, 55.0%, 50.0%...=145%
wk5: 22.5%, 22.5%, 65.0%, 50.0%...=160%
wk6: 25.0%, 25.0%, 75.0%, 50.0%...=175%
wk7: 25.0%, 25.0%, 00.0%, 100.%...=150% (the 100% day is the tri, and it's Saturday morning)

J.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 17:43
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

my 2 cents...as my boyfriend is a seasoned triathlete...the last week before the race you should have your last long run or bike on the Sunday before the race, the Mon and Tuesday should be 30 mins each, no workout wed, thurs and Friday should be a quick 15-20 min either bike or run first thing in the morning, with the last 5 mins higher intensity to deplete glycogen and open the window to soak up glycogen from subsequent carb load.

LowcarbJ if you have not tried AminoVital I encourage you to try some. You can put it into water or gatorade and it really aids in recovery. My boyfriend did a 1/2 ironman and this last weekends Escape from Alcatraz and was feeling fine without muscle aches by the next day. It also helps during the race by supplying all the aminos your muscles need for the race.

good luck