Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 06:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 11.12/11.0/9.7 Female 5.5
BF:25.6
Progress: 8%
Talking Low Carb Treats In Superdrug

o joy of joy. My wonderful flatmate found me some low-carb treats at Superdrug (UK) yesterday and they make a change from eating chicken or salad. They're called Carbolite and two examples (wrappers just taken out of bin) are "Crisp Wafer" which tastes like a kit kat and has 0.9 net carbs and "Bacon Flavour Snacks" which have 0.5 carbs.

However, bacon flavour snacks are just lighter pork scratchings cunningly disguised as crisps. At £1 a pop, they're not cheap though but are so much nicer tasting than Atkins bars.

PS - anyone out there in or near Weybridge who's on Atkins as it would be SO nice to have an active buddy nearby to have a coffee with cream with. Sarah
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 07:25
Registered Member

Stats: 270/221/210 Male 74"
BF:33/28/25
Progress: 82%
Thumbs down Went to Boots

this lunchtime and had one of those Advantage bars

YUK !!!!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 07:46

Thumbs down Advantage Bars

I know, those Atkins bars are disgusting and taste of cardboard. Carbolite are much nicer. How you doing on Atkins, Ms Woking?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 07:58
Registered Member

Wink It's Mr Woking !!!!

I started last May - lost about 3 and a half stone in a few months and since September sort of did it for about a week and came off it for 2 !! Put on a stone and a bit so back on it after xmas !! Seeing how much weight I lose by coming off it at weekends !!! trial and error !!
How about you?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 08:05

Wow, that's brilliant. Well done. I lost on weight watchers, put it back on again, then lost it - a real see saw of off and on. Now down 12lbs and just want to crash through that 11 stone barrier (hopefully on Saturday) and get to 9 and a half. My flatmate makes these wonderful burgers called "Magic Burgers" which are 3 carbs for 2 very big burgers. Done in the o so handy, George Forman grill, they haven't got much fat in them either.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 15:15
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/162/136 Female 5 ft 6 '
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi hodge
I tried those carbolite bars the day before yesterday.and thought they were yummy..bit pricey though. Haven't tried the atkins one but everyone seems to think is tastes like cardboard so I think I'll give it a miss..
kitty
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 04:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/161.2/146 Female 5ft 6in
BF:yep, sure have !!

Hi Hodge

Have you considered coming to the Low Carb meet up on Feb ( see sticky thread at the top of this forum). Think we are meeting at Victoria , London. I wnet to the first one and it was really great to meet up with people that I had been chatting to!

Came away with renewed motivation and loads of new tips !!

As for bars, Ive only tried the Atkins chocolate bar - yuck !!!

Lisa x
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 06:01
Registered Member

Default George Foreman Grills

When we get our bonus next month that the first thing i'll be buying!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 07:48

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin (Barry
Stats: 238/152/138 Female 67 inches
BF:50%/32%/24%
Progress: 86%
Default Bars

I've tried the hazelnut crunch and chocolate endulgence Atkins advantage bars, and have to say... THEYRE GORGEOUS!!! ive had many low-carb bars before, and they tasted horrible. The choc one is like a very rich brownie, and the hazelnut one is a bit like a snickers (or something along those lines!). The Atkins chocolate shake tasted like milk that had coco pops in it, horrible. Will be trying the choc crisp morning shine bars this afternoon :-)

As for superdrug's carborite bars - for a £1 its a complete rip off. You get more for your money with Atkins. I bought one of each of the bars and have tried the chocolate crisp bar, tasted like a nestle crunch bar. but i wont be buying them again, no matter how nice they are! I'll stick to the atkins bars for emergencies & quick snacks! Atkins will soon be selling these online to the UK, do you think they'll be cheaper than Boots at £1.59? Since Boots stuff is usually dearer anyway!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 17:34

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

I LOVED the hazelnut crunch Atkins bar. Oooooh.
You're right - £1 for a measly carbolite bar is pants. The Atkins ones are huge! I had to eat mine in two stages.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 12:49
Registered Member

Stats: 198/165/147 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Magic Burgers

Hi Hodge

Have just started the Atkins diet, hate cooking but have a George machine and would be interested in the recipe for your burgers.

Where can you buy Atkins bars etc?

Am new to this kind of site so hope this is the right way to do things.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 13:41
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi Whisky

You can now get Atkins brand bars, shakes and vitamins in Boots (although not sure if this is 100% national yet or is still store-dependant) - Braehead Boots in Glasgow certainly has them, not sure where in Scotland you are.

Carbolite bars are available in Superdrug.

With your stats and just joining the forum, I assume you're on induction; it's best to hang off on the bars until after you're out of induction.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 11:02
Registered Member

Stats: 198/165/147 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 65%

Thanks for your advice Doogie.

Don't know how I'm going to get on with this diet cause i hate cooking and eat out most lunch times but have had a good day today so here's hoping.

My biggest problem is breakfast, I used to have tinned grapefruit, toast and milky coffee. I couldn't face (or have time for a fry up) first thing. Had scrambled eggs and sausages this morning but it was a real struggle and didn't feel very well, might just stick with boiled eggs or try one of those Keto cereals, more in line with what my head is used to first thing in the morning!!

Thanks again for your advice.

Lorraine in Elgin.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 11:12
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Yeah, eating out can be a bit of a struggle, especially if you want to do it fast. Most days I just bring lunch to work, or bring a bowl, knife and fork and stop on the way for a bag of salad and some form of meat.

Today I really fancied a burger at lunchtime (partially because I forgot my bowl, knife and fork! ) and was in Burger King looking at the prices, when I realised that for 2 bacon double cheese (toss the bun obviously!) it would be over a fiver.... got back in the car and went to M&S where I got a caesar salad bowl (toss the croutons obviously!) and packet of chicken, for just under a fiver, which was a waaaaay better choice

For breakfasts I went gung-ho with the fry ups for a while until I realised I was getting into work late everyday (we've got flexi-time so it doesn't matter too much but still) I then started having greek yogurt with macadamia nuts on top every day, but was mega paranoid that it was stalling me, so stopped that. Recently I've been making mock danish from the recipe on this forum... I have 2 of them for breakfast and it normally fills me up till lunch
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 02:31

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Lorraine

If you don't like cooking then take precooked meats, ham, pork, salami to eat - you can even have these for breakfast. Do check the labels on the packets though as some do have more carbs than others.

You can buy precooked roast chicken. Watch out for things with BBQ coating as these often are sweetened!

I take my breakfast to work and so today I've had several slices of economy ham (2 carbs) and a piece of smoked mackeral (0 carbs).

You can cook a lot of meat and fish on your foreman grill.

If you want to eat out then a chinese or indian buffet is a good choice. Skip the rice and carby bits, but most meat in sauces are fine with veggie dishes and salad dishes. Don't go for sweet and sour or battered items.

Every success.