Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 12:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry *whimper* stuck at 240 for months!

Ok, from what I understand, this isn't uncommon, but I'm getting pretty depressed over it.

For about a year, I've been going up and down around 240 pounds. I'll get down there, then stop at 240 for weeks. Then I'll cheat and go back up. Lose very quickly down to 240... then stop for weeks again. I'll be at induction levels the whole time. I'm not losing inches at that time either.

Oh, my habits: THIS time around, I had been eating very little due to high stress and not having time to eat (my roommate force fed me), though I had a big water bottle during classes. Previous times, I had been exercising (but not currently) and eating fine.

I'm starting to get VERY frustrated and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions to 1) restart the entire process again so as to give my body a "fresh start", 2) break through this physical block and 3) keep myself sane and away from being so angry and frustrated!

Last edited by delilah : Thu, Nov-20-03 at 12:56.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 12:53

Stats: 271.5/233.5/210 Male 69 Inches
BF:35 - I am a Burger
Progress: 62%

Do you have a fitday account? If not get one.

That will be the best way to gauge what it might be or if it is related to what you are eating.

I just picked up a bike today, gonna take my butt biking every day now. I was stuck for a few days but BAM! I started losing again and losing a LOT!

Just keep plugging away, use fitday and get 25 more feet of walking in each day..... each step is a step closer.

Max
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 13:00

BF:

yep. I've been using Fitday religiously up until a couple weeks ago when I started having time management issues. Carbs are usually somewhere from 9-15gm.

I did used to bike about 4 miles every day when I lived in my old town, but here in san francisco, I'm afraid of death by car and hill! I miss it, though. Still, it doesn't seem to affect the 240 plateau.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 13:04
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

It really is hard to tell what is happening, you will have to give us a good account of what you are actually eating. Could be any number of things I guess, for to much salt to not enought calories. Stress could even be playing a part in all of it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 13:10

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

It also might help you to get those carbs up around 20-25. You are doing yourself no favors by keeping them low. And remember, to count only net carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 13:11

BF:

This has been pretty standard

Lately, it's been coffee or tea with cream for breakfast, maybe a couple of grilled pork chops. then have some other meat item (I made meat loaf with sugar-free ketchup, peas, eggs, and onions last night) for dinner. I've been really bad about the veggies lately, though that wasn't true in the past.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 13:14

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Wow 9-15 carbs is not a lot. I read that other people who stalled on induction levels and tried everything to no avail, ended up going on to OWL. At the higher carb level they started losing again. It seems that it shouldn't work that way but for a lot of people it does. Perhaps the body gets used to induction level carbs or something? Have you ever tried raising the carbs to 25 or so?

I would say start using Fitday again. That will help show what ratios of fat/prot/carb & cals you are eating.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 14:25
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

If that is all you have been eating, then I think it is safe to say your body is holding onto whatever it has due to starvation mode. We both know you need to get those veggies in. (ok, I am really not one to talk because I do not eat them myself.) but they are needed I guess. Try to fit another meal or something in during the day. Even if it just means a hunk of cheese. I can imanige how hard it is to eat normally while in school. My daughter is in college herself. You are a slave to your clases and the dining halls. Maybe it you picked up some almonds and jerky and kept them in your room.

With Christmas break, this might be the best time to restart things again. The stress will not be getting better with your finals coming up. Maybe right now you are better off just trying to watch what you eat, passing up a lot of the carbie foods. Don't worry to much about the scale. Try to get some salads in at the very least. Over the next big break you can work on cleaning your body out and trying to reset the pattern. Hopefully this will give you one less thing to stress over. That alone may get things moveing (crossing my fingers for you.)
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 13:08
I'm gonna make it!

Stats: 265/265/160 Female 66 inches
BF:

To put my two cents in. Maybe you should start over like you said. Re-read the books maybe. You also need to eat more calories and try to stick with the planned 20 carbs a day. Sounds like you want your goal bad enough that you will do anything. KEEP TRYING. I have stalled for the last month. I know I got to stick with it or I'll be obese my whole life. It is gross to try and change a obese old person's depends trust me I know.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 13:51

Stats: 235/145/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

Shake your body up and do something different. Increase your carbs (with wholesome carbs) for a couple days. Increase your calories for a couple days, then drop back down. Carve out time for a couple days of big workouts. Just think of something different that might surprise the body. And if you truly believe you are metabolically resistant, you can always, AS A LAST RESORT, do the fat fast for a few days. But I would play around with calorie and carb levels and exercise first. my 2 cents
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 19:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I vote with those who suggest increasing your carbs. There's no reason to keep them so low. Also, it sounds like you may have some work to do to make sure you're eating at regular intervals.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 20:26

Plan: Atkins HF/LP
Stats: 277/267/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I'm kinda new to this forum but have been on and off Atkins many times. I am always a steady loser, I lose 1 pound each day. So when I try something new, I can always tell if it it will be something I can continue. I will use the same product for a couple of days and when it's a problem I will not lose. Once I ommit the item I will start losing again. Here are some problem items for me. I cannot have any kind of Diet-Caffeine Free Pop, Caffeinated Coffee or any of those yummy Atkins Endulge Bars. I noticed coffee on yours and wasn't sure if it was caffeinated or not. Maybe try decaffeinated and see if that works better for you.

I realize we are all different and will lose the weight differently. For myself I keep my carbs under 20 each day. I also eat more cheese than recommended. But it hasn't been a problem for me yet.

Hope you are able to see some results soon. Good Luck!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 09:15
Registered Member

Stats: 197/165/130 Female 5'4"
BF:??/29/20
Progress: 48%

Looking at your FitDay, I think you've got two problems: 1. You're not getting anywhere NEAR enough calories! If you weigh about 240 pounds, you should be eating, at bare minimum, about 2400 calories. Your *basal* metabolic rate, the amount of calories you burn doing absolutely nothing, is 1880 calories. And your lifestyle stacks another 1000+ on top of that. From what I've seen, you're getting under 1000 calories, which is going to throw your body into "starvation mode" so fast it'll make your eyes spin. Your body's holding on to every little last bit of food, because it feels like it's in a famine right now! Eat more calories, and you'll not only feel better, you'll probably start to lose weight.
2. You're not getting enough carbs, either! Going under 20 is a bad idea, although it's a common mistake. As previous posts have mentioned, a lot of people start losing when they up the carbs. Give it a shot.

I'm in college myself, and I know how bad stress can be, and how easy it is to succumb to dining hall apple pie! One tip for a quick lunch is to roll up some lettuce, mayo (which is a good way to add calories) and mustard in a couple slices of turkey or roast beef. You can carry it with you, and a couple of those roll-ups are usually enough to satisfy me. Get creative, too; add different kinds of cheese, different spices, etc. Think about your favorite sandwich and try to recreate it in a wrap! Keep snacks in your desk drawer, like almonds and beef jerky, and try some weight training if you've got time.

Basically, you've got only yourself to turn to. Decide here and now if you really want to lose the weight. I call it the power of getting fed up: if you're really sick of being overweight, you can funnel that exasperation into positive action and change your body and your life. Every time I've managed to get my butt in gear, that's been why -- I just got tired of being unhappy with myself. Maybe it'll work for you.

Anyway, good luck, and feel free to email or IM me if you want a losing buddy! I've been stuck at ~155 for a similar length of time, because I just kept cheating. But I'm on the straight and narrow now, I swear :->

Holly
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 22:38

BF:

Thank you sooo much everyone!

I had a bad cheat spell over Thanksgiving, but a few days before that, when I started eating more calories and carbs, I used a ketostrip and it immediately turned dark purple. That hadn't happened in a long while. Now that I have a ton of weight to lose again after Thanksgiving, I'll be sure to eat, despite not having a whole lot of time.

I've recently discovered the low-carb breads. On their own, they seem to be pretty nasty, but smothered in butter or cream cheese and a bit of salt, I can see having some for breakfast!

Now why is it that having too few carbs is as bad as having too many? Calories I understand, but carbs? Same sort of starvation process?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 10:18

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hi good to see you around here again.
I of course agree with everyone you need more carbs in the form of veggies!!! Even if they are frozen ones, it will save time for you.

I would'nt go back to induction levels unless you are completly organized for it and that maybe hard right now, so just get some good foods into you and keep them at 20 carbs everyday.

Kathy