Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 20:05

Plan: ?
Stats: 130/125/125 Female 5' 7"
BF:12%
Progress: 100%
Default Can Coffee Hurt?

I love my iced Mochas (not every morning) but every chance I get. If i stick to paleo with my other foods and then have my mochas maybe 3-4 times a week, do you think this would be okay?

I know this sounds like a silly question, but I'm also trying to help out with the activity on this board!!!

I have been feeling great so far. Also do any of you eat raw egg yolks for health? I eat about 2-3 per day (cage free organic of course)

have a good evening
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 01:46

Plan: Neanderthin/Paleo
Stats: 147/123.2/121 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 92%

Hi there Sunkist!

I read that coffee should be cut out and replaced with the no caffeine variety..but I think that everyone has to adapt the diet to their own lifestyle. That's what makes it liveable after all Why not try having your Mochas and see if you get stalled on your weight loss? then if you do you can always cut back. Let us know if that works.

Glad to hear you're feeling so good! I don't have raw egg whites, I like them cooked. My favourite recipe for breakfast is this:

Chop a shallot and cut some bacon up. Fry in olive oil. Break an egg onto the bacon and salt lightly (optional). Let the egg cook on top of the bacon and shallot until done. If you want, you can turn it over so the yolk is more cooked. Scoop it out of the pan and cover it with shredded cheese. Yum!

Let's keep this board alive and tell each other what we have for breakfast
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 06:52

Plan: pp
Stats: 167.6/164/140 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi. Sunkist, I remember you from a raw foods discussion under another thread. Welcome.
I haven't tried raw eggs yet. I'm just a little grossed out by the texture.
I do drink decaf with heavy cream about 2 - 3 times a week. It's all sugar free. I am trying to have less and less. I've decided that since this way of eating is long term, I can take a little time finding my balance on it. If I were you I would try to a least wean myself from the processed sugar. One step at a time.
I usually cook 2 eggs over in butter and add some sausage on top while it's cooking.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 09:24

Thanks Girls
That;'s what I try to do right now - just kind of wean myself down to fewer coffees (not daily anymore) then if I think they are causing me problems - I'll switch to decaf. I enjoy them so much that as long as I can keep having Mochas every so often, it helps me to stay stricter on the rest of my eating.

I also never eat egg whites raw because of the substance called aviden that binds with the biotin and makes it less available to the body. But i love the taste of fresh raw egg yolks - but then i've been like that ever since i was a kid.

MAMASITA: Your cakes look awesome on your website- I checked out your food journal and that is really helpful

I just made an apple, chicken, pecan & mayo salad for breakfast. It was so good. For some reason for the past few days I have not been craving any breads or starches.

Have a great day everyone!!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 22:24

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hey Sunkist, I do eat raw eggs. There is new research on egg whites, you should check it out on www.mercola.com and do a search for raw eggs. They used to think that about the biotin, but new research shows the biotin to be more available with the whites. I don't really like the taste of raw egg white though, so if I eat the white it's in shake (like blueberries and heavy cream with egg or something of that sort..I'm always experimenting in the kitchen).
I'm drinking coffee ocassionally. I'll go a few weeks without, then go on a coffee kick for a week. I love flavored coffee...I just had some Rasberry Cream flavored, yummy. It hasn't held me up as far as I can tell. That chicken salad sounds good.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 07:57

Oh wow Jaybird-=new info all the time - and it usually contradicts.

You know I don't think I COULD eat the raw egg whites though. The texture & flavor of the yolks I love - ever since I was little even. But the egg whites are a bit ....slimy? But if you put them into a shake you probably couldn't even tell. I'll give that a try. I have used Organic Pastures raw dairy - and I think I can handle the cream and the butter - but not the milks probably cause of the sugar
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 08:09

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:

Sunkist,
How do you eat the egg yolks? just plain? i have heard the best way to eat them cooked is boiled and i used to but now i scramble them in cocnut oil to get more fat in. I want to make my own mayo because i cant handle vinegar. i do only eat organic but have been hesitant..but you seem to feel great so i will do it. wonder how long the mayo will las tin the fridge? also, your post made me think of something my dad used to make for us easter morning. he would whip up egg whites with sugar to make a meringue and put it o top of the coffee. sounds gross but it was soooo good. i wonder if you can try that with your coffee and use a different sweetner? congrats on reaching your goal....Kay

Also, because i stay away from all the fake foods to etc and eat a paleo /neander/atkins ( am trying to lose 20) so try to keep my carbs below 20 for now and no fruit. My Q is what do you eat in a day? Hopefully that will work for me to.....Have a great day!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 17:10

Hi Kay
lately I've been trying to eat what i think makes sense for me and my likes, dislikes & health issues. Okay like for breakfast first i just eat 2 raw egg yolks in a glass. I'll sprinkle maybe some sea salt on them and pepper - but I don't mix them up too much because supposedly the molecular structure can get messed up my heavy mixing. I also will eat them in a mix with chopped pecans & banana slices or dates. But I don't eat dates too often because of the high sugar content. I don't heat my egg yolks because it tends to lessen the strength( I hate to use the word destroy here) of the B Vitamins, lecithin, EFA's etc. Within one week of me having 2-3 raw egg yolks every day, my skin became less dry - my nails started to to grow faster and didn't break, no more hang nails, and within 3 weeks I noticed my hair had grown faster too. I was amazed - especially since thiese results didn't involve me buying an expensive supplement!!

Then for lunch I may have either some of my chicken, grape, pecan, mayo, spinach salad....OR.....chicken(or beef), pineapple chunks & spinach(or lettuce)& mayo salad. I eat pineapples with protein because of the digestive enzyme present in FRESH (not canned) pineapple called Bromelain. This isgreat when you have freshly grilled hamburger, steak or chicken too!! But I don't grill my pineapple because of the heat!!

For dinner I will eat similar to my lunch. For fats I eta coconut oil (which I will add to my salads sometimes or my egg mixture) I don't eat alot of cooked food except for my meats - everything else I eat is raw (as much as possible anyway) and also I like some fatty meats like on a filet or bone marrow - my grandmother ALWAYS ate the marrow of the bone so I grew up loving it too!! Thanks Gramma

I really notice a problem with how i feel & look when I eat too much dairy, wheat, potatoes, BEANS (they kille me!!!) I think that's why I was drawn to the Paleo way of eating since it explained why I may have been having problems with these food groups.

I also try to stay away from alcohol but I'll have a margerita maybe once every three weeks, or some wine - but that's about it - although in reality of course it would be fun to be able to have a drink every weekend with no ill effects (but that's in fantasyland )

And that's about it except for my Cafe Mochas - I have those about 3 times a week - but i treat those like my dessert and if I have those i watch my other carb intake on that day

Hope that helps. My husband just told me that he is bringing home one of our precors from the gym and putting it in our garage. That is great because I do NOT do enough cardio and i want to do about 3-4 /30 minute sessions just for the health of my heart & good circulation. Sweating is so good for you - helps clean out toxins etc!!! And I'm too lazy to actually go down to our gym - does that make me lazy?

bye for now

Last edited by sunkist : Wed, Sep-17-03 at 17:13.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 17:38

Plan: Meat&Egg
Stats: 243/209.6/143 Female 5 feet 6
BF:38/?/22
Progress: 33%

i'm with you on the raw egg yolks and bone marrow, I just cook the whites, cut most off and just eat the runny yolks. I found a store that sell marrow bones I just roast them and scoop and eat yum. Save the fat for pemmican. My hair and nails are doing great too, My sil made a comment that I over heard " Her hair is so healthy and shiny it's beatiful" Mil and all aunts, sil are all hair dressers so that must be good. Made some chicken cauliflower soup lc style sure hit the spot on this cold rainy day. Eat well my friends and enjoy great health.
Diane
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 18:12

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:

Hi Sunkist,

Thanks for the tips. I will try to do the egg yolks. OMG what am i saying? so, you just sort of gulp them down without breaking them? like Rocky? besides the fruit, i think it looks doable. and will be able to have fruit soon i'm sure. now if i can just make it thru induction

is that the precor eliptical? i love that thing. every time i get done using it, i feel like my butt went from my knees to my neck!

well, take care...i'll let you know how the eggs go down!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 19:07

Hi Huntress
Wow does that chicken soup sound good!! I WISH it were getting cold here - it doesn't even feel like Fall is approaching

I love the summer - but Fall is so much fun and beautiful and not TOO cold!!! Anyway - That's great about your hair - I swear I see so many girls here in Los Angeles with hair extensions and who have to do like MAJOR conditioning treatments cause their hair is kind of thin and damaged. In my opinion you can use every conditioner known to man on the OUTSIDE of your hair, but if it isn't growing healthy from the INSIDE - you might as well forget about it!!

KAY: Yeah I do just eat them plain - I don't know like I said for some reason as far back as i can remember-I've loved the taste of raw egg yolks - now here's something you can do - try adding a little melted raw butter, sea salt to it. That may ,ake it taste more cooked and like soft boiled or sunny side up. I wish I could eat them with toast of course - but let's not go there!!!

I may also try cutting back on the fruit with my dinner since if I do eat too many carbs at dinner or before bedtime (fruit or if I had some starches) then it is much harder for me to wake up with energy the next day. So I may just start having my protein with steamed veggies and a salad or a BIGGER salad

Last edited by sunkist : Wed, Sep-17-03 at 19:08.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 00:28
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

hi sunkist,

are you not a bit afraid of getting salmonella eating raw eggs? i suppose that could be a myth or something... it does sound quite nutritious... i absolutely LOVE eggs... i eat about 4 every morning, fried in lots of butter... but eating them raw would be better if it was not for the fear of getting salmonella....

i know that paleo mayo lasts about a week in the fridge... i have made that several times... and i did use raw eggs, but they were from friends' cage free organic chickens, and i was not that worried about salmonella....
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 08:14

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Speaking of eggs smothered in butter, I thought dairy products (including butter, cheese, cream, etc) were not allowed on the NeanderThin eating plan?

Last edited by Hellistile : Fri, Oct-10-03 at 08:17.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 11:16
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Hellistile!
You are absolutely correct!

It is the fat that most people are looking for when they do the dairy. BUT... I for one am getting OFF the dairy. I was off of it for over a year, and then was worried about not getting enough animal fat, so started doing a bit of butter and cheese. However, I really do not like it! Foreign proteins and other problems! So, am getting OFF of it! One way to get more animal fat is to make pemmican! There is a thread about it. I am getting fat from an older bison and am going to make a whole bunch of it for this winter (and freeze it).

That is one thing you must be aware of, is you need to find a way to get lots of animal fat in your diet. Without butter and cheese, it can be quite the challenge.

Thanks for gettin' on us for this! Good job!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Fri, Oct-10-03 at 11:21.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 12:04

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Dean:
I started NeanderThin yesterday (after doing Atkins for almost 6 months) and just by cutting out my dairy and increasing my meat and veggies I lost 3 pounds overnight! LOL. Anyway, I like to bake my meat and use the fat drippings from it as sort of a gravy but without adding anything to it. Plus I like the fat on the meat, especially crispy chicken skin, pork chop fat, etc. Is this OK as good edible animal fat? Or do I have to look for it elsewhere?

Last edited by Hellistile : Fri, Oct-10-03 at 12:06.