Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 10:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/162/112 Female 5'5"
BF:31/26/19
Progress: 31%
Talking Fitday: I take back everything I said!

Well, I've been stuck bouncing around the same few pounds for a couple of weeks now, and figured it was worth gritting my teeth and perservering with Fitday to see if I could figure out why.

Okay, it took me two hours to even input breakfast, lunch and a cup of coffee, but that's okay... I've lost my tailoring shears, so can't get on with sewing till I find them anyway!

(Some may point out those two hours could have been better spent trying to locate the shears, but I say when the bad goblins have stolen your stuff, there's no sense looking... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! )

So I tallied up what I've had so far today and was feeling pretty pleased with how well I'd done. But I am kind of peckish, so was about to make myself a nice boozy rhubarb fool to congratulate myself...

Which, according to Fitday, would've taken me from a saintly 12g of carb to a hellish 38g!!! Talk about illuminating!

If only this weren't the day my fiance decided to put himself back on the diet too... I can hardly give the rhubarb to my cat (not that she wouldn't eat it, mind you... I just don't think alcohol would be good for her!).

I do hope it gets less time consuming though... that's really getting to me, and measuring everything to the last detail takes all the sponteneity out of cooking.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 10:48

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

Congratulations, I seem to go through phases of using it and not bothering. Once you've got a bunch of your favourites in it's easy to bring them back up from the recent foods menu and really speeds things up - my biggest problem is that I just can't bring myself to weigh foods so I just guess!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 11:53

Thank you Kelly. As you know, we share the same problem when it comes to precise measurements! Still... it saved me from going over double (well I still had dinner to go) my daily allowance, so I'll at least try and perservere for now!

Problem with me is I don't tend to have set recipes. I guess I'll have to figure out standard combinations I use in a lot of recipes and at least program those in...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 12:21

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Yes, I used to hate Fitday too because it was simply just a pain in the "you know what" and took too much time to use. But recently I started using it and learned A LOT about what I was REALLY eating. With a week of using it regularly I now feel I can't live without it! And yes, once you take the time to enter in most of your favorites it gets way less time consuming.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 12:25

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

i used fitday religiously in the beginning until i got to know the portions and carbs in what i was eating.now i just use it when i introduce a new food.
it keeps me on the straight and narrow!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 12:34

Thank you very much for the reassurance it does get easier sunspine! I can see it becoming very invaluable to me for a while too. That near screw-up with the rhubarb fool really shocked me!

It's interesting too to see the proportions of fats, carbs, etc over the day, isn't it?

And thank you, Christine, for the reassurance I won't have to endure it forever! I think eventually I'm going to start making a little index card box of recipes to keep in the kitchen with the information noted down on them so I don't have to leap to the computer whenever I want to cook. Then, like you, it'll only be a case of checking Fitday whenever I have something new to add.

Though it also makes me wish there were enough hours in the day for me to design a better version! It's atrociously badly designed... and needlessly so. But better than nothing for sure...

PS: Beautiful picture, sunspine.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 12:39

BF:
Progress:

it used to annoy me to death when i first started which is probably the reason that i tend to keep my foods the same every day except weekends and even then, i only make small changes.ie-your brocolli thing!!,which i may say was lush.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 13:58

And just when I thought I'd got it sussed... I only just noticed that, of course, they don't understand our need for ECC count and give us the US carbs before fibre!

Still, it means I've had an extra saintly day as I was bang on 20g before fibre!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 13:59

PS... Really glad the brocolli was worth a change of plan Christine! I'll see what else I can come up with to lure you away from the regulars, eh?!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 14:02

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

I hope you share them, I love your recipes and they're so much better than mine, bung this in with a tip of this and mix with a squirt of this and cook until it looks sort of done lol
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 14:06

You haven't seen how bad tempered I get trying translate a "bitty bit" in to grams!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 14:08

BF:
Progress:

i bought myself a set of cup measures at sainsburys,makes everything easier to measure.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 14:10

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

I'm a real Fitday convertee and it is almost a religion to me. Although I don't use it so much to count carbs now, I do use it to check on my calorie intake as this has become just as important to my weight loss.

Don't forget many of the US foods contain fibre and so look at the carbs and fibre total. In number terms you do need to subtract the two. However, don't make the mistake of adding UK foods and putting the fibre info into Fitday. That is a no no as the fibre has already been deducted from the carbs in the UK.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 14:10

Genius! Thank you Christine! Cups I could probably cope with... sticking everything on the scale, now that's a hassle. Actually about to go off shopping, so I'll see if Tescos do any.

Still not sure the metric quality of a smidge though?!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 15:25

Stats: 260/142/140 Female 5.7 inches
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default Sorry - very basic question

Should I be using Fitday if I'm on induction? It sounds a bit complicated but I'd have a go if necessary. I'm not weighing anything at the moment just following the rules on salad/veg size portions and cheese/cream allowance. My weight loss is not spectacular but steady and as I have a long way to go have not been too bothered. Any advice welcome. BTW I saw some very snazzy but pricey cup measures in Lakeland catalogue with Nigella Lawson branding. Perhaps I should save up for some if it will help with recipes. Beginning to realise that I am going to have to be more adventurous in cooking department or die of boredom before I get to target.