Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 21:14

Plan: Dr.Bernstein
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress:
Default 4.5 A1c

Just got my lowest A1c to date. Here's my history along with what I was trying... Keep in mind, prior do the LC diet, I was taking 15 units of humulin L every day, and had been taking insulin for over 25 years. I'm a type1 that still produces some insulin.

12/2001 = 7.4 (high carb diet with 15 units of insulin)
12/2002 = 4.7 (Atkins induction type diet, under 20 carbs a day no meds [yes, this is a great number and without meds, but come on folks....])
4/2003 = 5.5 (35-40 carbs a day)
10/2003 = 5.8 (35-40 carbs a day)
12/2003 = 4.5 (35-40 carbs a day, plus 1000 mg of Glugophage XR; 500 in the morning, 500 before bedtime)

Note: Glucophage is not something a Dr will usually not prescribe for a type 1, but I was able to talk my Dr into giving it a shot after I had noticed some decent results from some that I "borrowed" from a friend. In fact, he didn't want me to do anything different since my A1c was under 7, but we all know what that kind of thinking will get you.....

Last edited by type1 : Mon, Dec-22-03 at 15:15.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 07:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 237/223.6/180 Male 70 inches
BF:33/24/12
Progress: 24%

Way to go!!!
I hope I can make a post like this someday

I get my blood work done this coming Feb I just hope its lower than it was in OCT before I started LCing
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 07:36

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Those are awesome results! I'm hoping my next A1C will be below 5 (last one was 5.3).
I also think it's great that your doctor is willing to work with you and let you try things that are unconventional. Metformin is sometimes used with type 1 diabetics, though...to help decrease their insulin requirements.

Quote:
he didn't want me to do anything different since my A1c was under 7, but we all know what that kind of thinking will get you.....

Sadly that is still the recommendation for diabetics...under 7 is acceptable. I'd like to see that recommendation lowered so that the expectation for diabetics is to achieve normal A1c's instead of "good enough for a diabetic" A1c's. It probably won't happen for a long time, though, since there are a lot of diabetics following the traditional ADA diet that are struggling to even get their A1c's under 7 and it's because of that doctors feel that getting it under 7 is doing great.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-03, 19:21

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

Well, Type 1, that is good news indeed, those are very fine A1c readings. Just out of curiousity, what carbs did you add, going from the less than 20 to the 35-40? Speaking personally, I cant see any carbs worth taking medication for, but we all pays our money and takes our choice, right? anyhow, very happy for your, would think with Ac1 like that, you will NEVER have to worry about diabetic complications. Great work. Bill
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-03, 00:55

Plan: Free-range
Stats: 161/154/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%

I am curious Lisa as to what strategy you would use for a T1 who makes no insulin of their own(which is most T1s), to achieve a 'normal' 4.5% HbA1c..?? An HbA1c of 5% = an average bg of 80 (4.4).
Perhaps I misunderstood and you mean T2.
Eve
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-03, 08:10

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee
I am curious Lisa as to what strategy you would use for a T1 who makes no insulin of their own(which is most T1s), to achieve a 'normal' 4.5% HbA1c..?? An HbA1c of 5% = an average bg of 80 (4.4).
Perhaps I misunderstood and you mean T2.
Eve

Eve...since I'm not a doctor, suggesting a strategy for achieving those number is really beyond me, but after researching as much as I have I'm convinced that it's very important for all diabetics (T1 and T2) to achieve as close to normal numbers as possible to reduce the chances of long-term complications.
Here's what Dr. Bernstein has to say about it: (taken from pp. 112-114 of his most recent book)

"The ADA recommendations for "tight control" of blood sugar from its Web site is as follows:
'Ideally, this means levels between 70 and 120 mg/dl before meals and less than 180 mg/dl after meals, with a glycated hmoglobin [HgbA1c] level less than 7 percent.'

The recommendations go on to state that tight control (what I advocate) "isn't for everyone" which I believe is nonsense. But the ADA's tight control as defined above isn't very tight at all. I would call it "out of control."

and:

"When it comes to type 1 diabetics, where virtually all of the needed insulin is going to be injected, I increase the target to 90 mg/dl even though we know that the mortality rate-even in the general diabetic population-is slightly greater for those with fasting on pre-prandial blood sugars of 90 mg/dl than it is for those with blood sugars of 85. I use 90 as a target for myself because of the greater risk for hypoglycemia with a target of 85."

He states that an A1c of 5 corresponds to an average blood sugar of 100 with a 40 point jump for each 1 point increase of A1C, so the ADA recommendation of below 7 corresponds to an average blood sugar of 180. Dr. Bernstein's target of 90 for a T1 is still below 5 on the A1c scale and way below the ADA recommendation of 7 or less.

Last edited by Lisa N : Fri, Dec-26-03 at 15:42.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 19:35

Plan: Free-range
Stats: 161/154/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%

Type 1....I think your A1c results are excellent, but I wonder if you had to endure many lows to achieve 4.5%. Was 5.5% not a more comfortable WOL ? Maybe having some of your own insulin protected you from lows?
As I make none of my own I can't judge, but on the other hand this WOL I feel will help me achieve a daily average of around 110(A1c 5.5%) mark.