Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#346   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-17, 23:09

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
I'm pretty sure the Ketodude said NOT to dissolve it in water, but of course I can't remember WHY.
One of the fastest ways to get it into the bloodstream is to put it on mucous membranes under the tongue (think sublingual B12 or nitroglycerin tablets). If you mix it in water and drink it, it is diluted and goes straight to the stomach, where it is digested more slowly if there are other foods in there.
Sponsored Links
  #347   ^
Old Sun, Jul-02-17, 07:32

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I don't think the Ketodude went into that explanation - he may not have even given an explanation - but yours makes sense. Thanks, dierdra.
  #348   ^
Old Sun, Jul-02-17, 11:56

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

If you're not looking for a quick fix and don't fancy putting it under your tongue, you could buy some empty gelatine capsules and fill them up.
  #349   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-17, 08:54

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Does salt in water taste good to you?

Dr N does say that if you have sufficient sodium, eating more of it won't taste good. If you are eating so much cottage cheese, perhaps you are in good sodium balance?

No, I don't particularly like salt water, it's just that I can chug it and get it done. The pink salt under my tongue didn't dissolve, just kind of hardened.

Yes, I think I'm in good sodium balance after I eat the cottage cheese, but it probably explains why I've been choosing it as my dinner after a 24 hr fast so often, especially as I don't always drink salty broth.

I just tried a little salt in my white tea with lemon. Not too bad.
  #350   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-17, 15:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%

I find that when I have cravings, it's for salty things, too. Even a Ritz cracker is paradise. I couldn't care less about chocolate, to my amazement. But I do reach for the salt shaker more than I ever did pre-low carb. I drink Powerade Zero to make sure all my electrolytes etc. are at a healthy level--been doing that for years.
  #351   ^
Old Sun, Aug-13-17, 06:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Back to The Salt Fix (should have started its own thread?)
A new Amy Berger Book Review on it...
http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/0...odium.html#more

Also in the news....there has a been a vocal backlash to his advice About getting more sodium.

Quote:
A danger to public health? Uproar as scientist urges us to eat more salt
Exclusive: In his new book, James DiNicolantonio claims salt could make us healthier. But experts have condemned the advice as potentially dangerous

https://www.theguardian.com/science...o-eat-more-salt

He has been busy defending his book and publishing a new research paper, The History of the Salt Wars. https://www.researchgate.net/public...f_the_Salt_Wars

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Aug-13-17 at 06:39.
  #352   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-17, 10:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

#353   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-17, 02:29

Plan: duke university,dr,weston
Stats: 330/324/275 Male 6ft 2
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default low carb

can you lay out a low card diet for a quick start to losing weight?
  #354   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-17, 03:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingblade

After seven years, I still think Dr. Westman's diet is the simplest to follow, no macros, just a list of allowed foods, eat nothing else, and measure only a few items that have limits. If you are having problems with this plan, maybe ask questions on the Westman thread.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf

If listening to Two Dudes would make an easier quick start guide, I heard a new short, 17 minute podcast from the Two Keto Dudes on...

Keto for Absolute Beginners http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=89

They have a good simple explanation why salt requirements go up on a Low Carb Diet in this podcast. They explain how after becoming fat adapted, adding intermittent fasting could make their beginner guide even quicker for reducing blood sugar and weight.
  #355   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-17, 12:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingblade

Probably be best to start a new thread rather than yank this one off topic. Maybe the general LC or newbies forums would be a good place to start your thread.
  #356   ^
Old Fri, Dec-15-17, 03:53

Excellent thorough update of the Salt recommendations that started this thread by Drs. Phinney & Volek. Published on the Virta blog. http://blog.virtahealth.com/sodium-...renal-function/

Sodium, Nutritional Ketosis, and Adrenal Function

New more specific recommendations...

Quote:
Over the last few decades, our recommended sodium intake for most people during a well-formulated ketogenic diet, based upon the amount needed to avoid the symptoms of ‘Atkins flu’ or ‘adrenal fatigue’, has been 5 grams per day (3 grams in your food, 2 grams from broth/bouillon). This longstanding clinical observation of ours is now validated by this recent Canadian research.

That said, there are still variations between individuals that necessarily modify this advice.

People with high blood pressure or fluid retention that persists after keto-adaptation, and particularly if they are taking a diuretic medication, should not increase their sodium intake above 3 grams per day until these symptoms are resolved and the diuretic medication stopped.

People routinely taking NSAID medications like ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or (Aleve, Naprosyn) are more ‘sodium sensitive’ because these drugs block salt excretion by the kidneys and raise blood pressure (Zawada 1980).

Heavy physical exercise in the heat will cause increased sodium loss in sweat, which can increase one’s daily sodium requirement above the 5 gram level.

And finally, as always, it is important to distinguish between grams of sodium and grams of salt.

In addition to specific new recommmendations for salt intake, they investigate the LC "threat" of the dreaded adrenal fatigue.

"We won’t go so far as to say that the ‘adrenal fatigue’ myth was invented to scare you away from nutritional ketosis. More likely, its proponents just don’t understand the electrolyte and mineral metabolism changes that occur during nutritional ketosis."
  #357   ^
Old Fri, Dec-15-17, 06:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

In my experience, adrenal fatigue is a real thing; but it is caused by Cortisol Resistance.
  #358   ^
Old Sat, Dec-16-17, 10:20

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Very interesting article, Janet. It will be my go to article to send to friends beginning low carb.
  #359   ^
Old Wed, May-30-18, 10:00

Plan: Paleo/Keto
Stats: 244/126/115 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Type of salt

I've been feeling the way many of you have described, weak, tired and leg and foot cramps. I'm going to try increasing my salt intake. Two teaspoons, correct? Am I supposed to use Iodized or non-Iodized?
  #360   ^
Old Wed, May-30-18, 10:18

Plan: Paleo/Keto
Stats: 244/126/115 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary~
I've been feeling the way many of you have described, weak, tired and leg and foot cramps. I'm going to try increasing my salt intake. Two teaspoons, correct? Am I supposed to use Iodized or non-Iodized?

Also, I retain water something fierce. My weight can balloon up 2 to 3 lbs and be gone again in about 2 days. During that time I go to the bathroom every 30 to 45 minutes. Can increasing my salt cause me to retain water?