Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-11, 08:15

Plan: Less than 30 grams a day
Stats: 259/241/155 Female 69 inches
BF:Yes
Progress: 17%
Default Diabetes, Vitamin D3 & Magnesium

I started LC back in January and while for the first time ever I felt like I had a grip on keeping my BG readings pretty steady throughout the day, my morning FBG was still in the 120-130 range and then would spike to about 170 due to the DP effect. BTW, I have Type 2.

I have been taking 1,000 mg Metformin morning and night along with 2.5 mg of Glipizide in the morning and 5 mg at night since I started LC. The only thing that changed for me was lowering my morning glipizide from 5 mg to 2.5 mg due to eating LC.

As far as supplements, I had been taking daily:

multi-vitamin
Fish Oil
Flaxseed Oil

After much reading on this forum and online, I decided to start taking Vitamin D3 and Magnesium supplements too. I had read that a deficiency in either one of these could possibly contribute to Diabetes but that's not why I started taking them. I started taking them to help with my overall wellbeing.

I actually started taking the Calcium/Magnesium supplement a few weeks before I started taking vitamin D3 only because I read about Magnesium first and then D3.

About 2 weeks ago I added in D3 at a rate of 5,000 IU in the morning and evening.

For the past 3 mornings, my FBG has been between 102 to 106! I haven't changed anything else in terms of my supplements, meds or diet. That's a drop of 14 - 28 points 3 days in a row. My highest BG due to the DP effect has been 140 compared to 170!

The only thing I can attribute the change to is the addition of D3 or a combo of taking the D3 and the magnesium.

Has anyone else experienced a change like this after adding supplements of either D3 or Magnesium? Or some other supplement??

My FBG numbers have NEVER been this low so while I'm thrilled to see them drop I'm not sure what exactly caused it other than the supplements.
Sponsored Links