Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-05, 13:44

Plan: zone
Stats: 147/145/130 Female 5 feet - 2 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Coconut Oil

Is there anyone out there that has heard about all the wonderful health benefits of coconut oil? There is a book called "The Coconut Diet". Basically it's eating low carb foods along with taking a tablespoon of coconut oil with each meal. The book makes many suggestions to consume the oil. The oil is suppose to increase your metabolic rate, supports thyroid function, great for your hair, protects you from viruses, and decreases your hunger pangs. You feel satisfied for long periods of time. After my one month of adding a tablespoon full of coconut oil to a small amount of very hot water about twice a day (I'm working up to taking 3 tbls. a day as recommended), I haven't noticed any weight loss, but I have lots of energy and my hair has stopped falling out. It feels a lot thicker too. The book explained how great a "rebounder" is (a mini trampoline) so I bought one and started jumping on it two days ago. Since it exercises your whole body at once, it should help in weight loss. I'll let everyone know how well I'm coming along. Sure wish I could talk to another who has tried to lose weight taking coconut oil daily. Please answer me if you have. Helen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-05, 14:35

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've ordered it from Tropical Traditions and its on its way
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-05, 15:16

Plan: Eat Fat, Lose Fat; NT
Stats: 215/215/160 Female 68 inches
BF:- in need of detox

Yep! I love my coconut oil and coconut products. I follow Sally Fallon & Mary Enig's Eat Fat, Lose Fat plan, which is based on the fabulousness of coconut and other traditional foods.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-05, 11:22

Plan: zone
Stats: 147/145/130 Female 5 feet - 2 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Coconut Oil

Are you getting results by consuming coconut oil? Do you try to take 3 tbs. a day? I love the energy you get and the wonderful results with my hair but I would sure like to lose some weight. Torson
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-05, 13:55

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Torson,

I do believe coconut oil has kept me healthier - free from colds and viral infections. I was always kind of sickly before I started using it. I probably needed to have my tonsils out, but the coconut oil fixed that.

I have been using it for well over a year, both before starting a LC diet and after. I did notice belly fat loss, but not weight loss. I've taken large amounts - more than an ounce a day and I went thru a gallon of it in less than 2 months (I have no idea how I did that) I didnt gain any weight from it before doing LC or after so I give it a high grade.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-05, 16:14

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I was wondering how to work coconut oil into a diet that isn't low carb. My diet is more balanced and I've been using small amounts of it where others might use butter. I love the taste of it and do find it makes the meal more satisfying. I'm definitely not using anywhere near the 3T that is recommended. I'm doing an elimination diet right now to see what I am allergic to so I'm worried about using alot of the oil and then becoming allergic to it. I feel like I am allergic to everything right now.

One thing I have noticed since using the oil is that I can get away with not lathering myself up in body lotion everyday. My skin is normally extremely dry and even scaley in places. I have also been dry skin brushing so that could account for the better skin too (I'm still extremely itchy though).

I really want to believe that coconut oil can do all these wonderful things that people claim; it's just so tasty .
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-05, 18:07

BF:

Jende, what brand are you using?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-05, 19:14
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Coconut oil is great stuff and I and others have experienced many benefits from it. I'm very sorry to say, weight loss wasn't one of them though.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-05, 22:25

BF:

Well I could use some belly fat loss like MoseyMan said, so bring it on!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-05, 23:06

Plan: No one plan
Stats: 208.5/180.5/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Has anyone tried coconut oil capsules? I saw them today at my health food store... thought about taking them instead of just using the oil in cooking since I wasn't really sure where to use it in a recipe.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-05, 09:44

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 211/198/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 17%

I bought some yesterday and was surprised to see it is solid. It doesn't really taste like anything so I am just going to use it like I use olive and safflower oil. I like to fry my eggs in oil to add the good fat to them. Hope it helps with the thyroid, I need that.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-05, 10:26

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

The stuff I found at the health food store is by "Omega Nutrition". That brand had 2 types, one in a 16 oz jar for $18 (Can) that called itself "virgin coconut oil". The other was in a jar that was probably twice as big for less money and it just said coconut oil. It also said "ideal for cooking" on the jar. The stuff I got tastes like coconut. I once got a jar that was cheap and didn't taste like anything, that's the stuff I guess you don't really want or would just use for cooking. There were a couple of other more expensive brands that said they were extra virgin, but I think I read somewhere that saying that is just a scam to charge more, I really don't know. Now that we've tried it and really like it, I'm thinking of getting a bulk order offthe internet and see if I can save some money. Tropical Traditions is the one I've heard alot of good things about, but it is expensive and shipping to Canada will probably be even that much more.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-05, 10:43
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

vitacost.com Has Garden of Life, extra virgin organic coconut oil on sale for $8.77 per 16 fluid ounces, I just ordered 2

Debbie
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-05, 11:11

BF:

jende, yeah I ordered two tubs (32 oz total) of it from Tropical Traditions and the shipping was like $20 US! So it better be worth it!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 22:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

I love coconut oil. I've added it to my diet for around two months now. My skin has never been so good. Even my elbows are soft! I eat around 6 T per day, and have tons of energy and feel just fantastic. I make these little candies and eat them instead of desserts or snacks.

The weight is coming off, I suppose, but I read somewhere it takes like 4 or 6 months before the CO really takes full effect in terms of weight loss.

Fine with me; I take it for so many other reasons, if my weight starts dropping in a couple of months, it's icing on the (coconut) cake.