Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 15:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 164/159.4/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Beer???????????

This is my 5th day of induction. Going to fish fry tonight and a wedding tomorrow. Is beer ok as long I as I count the carbs? I don't drink too much maybe 2-3.
Thanks

Casey
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 16:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/132/122 Female 62
BF:23%
Progress: 79%

I don't think beer should be drank in the first two weeks of induction. Beer is so high in carbs and if you limited to 20 a day then you sure don't want to use 6-8 of those for Beer. It wouldn't be healty.

After the two week induction if you want a beer or two, I bought Michalob Ultra it has 95 calories and only 2.6 grams of carb. If you can't find that MIller light has 3.2 grams.

But still remember that we are eating so few carbs, we don't want to use up those numbers with beer carbs, and not vegetables.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 16:20

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

Sorry but no beer or other alcohol while on Induction- even if you count the carbs. Once you're past Induction you can drink, if you count the carbs. The reason you don't want to drink is the body will burn alcohol instead of fat given the opportunity. Alcohol also stalls some people. So definitely wait until after Induction before adding beer to your diet. It's only 9 more days. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 16:26

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

I started my induction just before Christmas.. talk about putting my will-power to the test!! I didn't drink.. and it's only made my will stronger. Now I rarely drink.. with the occasional rum/diet coke or glass of wine on the weekend to be sociable. I cut out beer completely (don't miss it either )
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 16:47
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Beer

I would think that you should avoid beer at least until you are well along in OWL. The carbs and the starches in beer cannot be condusive to your weight loss. Don't you think there needs to be a time, specifically right now, in which you bring your food needs under control? The fish fry is going to be pretty damaging to your carb profile; the beer would just about finish it off. The best thing you could do would be to not eat any breading on your fish and avoid the beers. Then you would be taking a big step towards your ability to control your weight.

Good Luck!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 05:15

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 240/234/180
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default I sure understand

I have always been a beer drinker. I pick and chose my times now. Used to drink alot more. Am under a great deal of stress because my husband is sick and that is my way of letting go. But I have also found that if I drink beer I don't lose for 3 or 4 days. Sometimes things just get to be too much and you have to chose what you want most, a drink or a slim body. When I go out now I drink lemon water or diet something. I have thought about this and it doesn't make a difference what you drink, just as long as you have something in your hand. Unless you are going out to get drunk having a couple of beers will do you no good, except throw you off of track.
Good luck and let me know what happened at the fish fry.
Jan
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 11:47

Stats: 205/189/170
BF:
Progress: 46%

It all depends on the person, I lost 15 lbs on induction and kept on drinking my Miller Lites. Maybe 2-3 times a week.