Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 15:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/130/120
BF:
Progress: 76%
Question Meatloaf question?

Has anyone ever tried flaxseed meal as a filler/binder in meatloaf? I need some substitution ideas for the breadcrumbs. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 23:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Try using freshly grated Parmesan cheese and an extra egg. YOu don't really need extra binder.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 09:10
Registered Member

Plan: Meat & Eggs
Stats: 243/206.8/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Thumbs up

Like Karen said, you really don't need anything.

But...if you really want a breadcrumb substitute, use ground pork rinds. I guarantee you won't know it has pork rinds in it.

They are also great for breading chicken breasts (after dipping the breast in egg).

Paris
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 13:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 276/231/185
BF:
Progress: 49%

Here's a recipe from Jeri over on the thinner.com website. I've tried it and think the tofu really makes a difference in the consistancy of the meatloaf. A few things I would do different are to mash up the tofu with a fork before adding it, and apparently, Jeri makes meatloaf rather flat, while I tend to make it more "loaf-like". She bakes hers for 45 minutes, mine needed an hour and a half. Good luck with the recipe.

Here's the whole "meatloaf" thread on thinner: http://www.aboveboard.com/thinner/s...=&threadid=2919

Jeri's Meatloaf

1.5 lbs lean hamburger
1 lb sausage (I use pork sage or hot italian)
1/4 c onion, finely minced
1/2-3/4 c mushrooms, sliced and slivered
4 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 c parmesan cheese
4 oz tofu
2-3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 egg

I squish it all together with my fingers in a big mixing bowl until completely mixed - not my favorite thing to do but it mixes lots better than a spoon. (I never did splurge on a stand mixer - and now that I'm LC I never will - but it would work really well here) I shape it into a cylinder in a jelly roll pan, flatten, and bake at 375 for 45 min.

Regarding the tofu, which most people are skeptical about, one of my complaints about the same recipe without tofu is that the resulting meatloaf is somewhat tough and hard. Adding tofu made it softer and moister, more like it was made with breadcrumbs, and the resulting taste & texture is great.

And Steel's sugar free ketchup or bbq sauce are good with this - not quite the same as the real thing, but definitely adequate.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 13:12
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

I put a little spinach (the frozen stuff, thawed) and I like a little salsa in my meatloaf too. YUMMM

#6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 15:39

Plan: low carb
Stats: 148/141/135 Female 5'6"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%
Question Flax seed with meatloaf

HAS anyone tried what JanineLC asked about? I am curious too.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 12:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Flaxmeal filler

yes, i've tried it. I think i used too much and it soaked up all the liquid and made the meatloaf very dry, almost crunchy.

However, i fully intend to use it regularly only adjusting the amount i put in and may be adding some butter to make it moister.

i thought it was a fairly successful effort.

Deb
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 01:16

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

I've used the ground flax in meatloaf and it does come out drier and crunchier than most meatloaf I've had in the past. It's different, but I like it.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 180/154/140
BF:
Progress: 65%

Haven't tried the flax but we've used lots of finely chopped mushroom pieces & it worked wonders.

#10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 06:08

Plan: low carb
Stats: 148/141/135 Female 5'6"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%
Default flax seed meal

Well I used it right after I asked that question... and I thought it was fairly good. I had added some spinach to mine, which would have been just fine, but I put too much and it was canned..... ...that made it very uh, moist....
But next time, I will put only a little of the spinach...after I drain, and squish out the juices from the can.....and use more flax seed meal.. I couldnt taste the flaxseed and I really like that stuff
So anyways, better luck to me next time and definitely have to try those mushrooms......
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 07:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 180/134.5/120 Female 61 inches
BF:
Default Flaxseed "crust"?

Wonderful! I've been trying to figure out how to incorporate (sneak) some flaxseed into my diet. How about ground flaxseed (I bought mine whole and intend to use a small coffee grinder), grated parmesan cheese, and a bit of melted butter slathered all over the top of your favorite low-carb meatloaf recipe? After all, I like the top of my meatloaf rather crusty.

Hmmm, I'll have to try it this weekend when there's a bit more TIME for this sort of thing...

Thanks!

--Liz
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 16:51
Registered Member

Plan: Meat & Eggs
Stats: 243/206.8/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 44%

paradux...that sounds good. Think I'll try that too. I've been trying to add flax seed to my daily food too.

Maybe a little shredded cheddar too.

Paris
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 11:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 180/134.5/120 Female 61 inches
BF:
Default My recipe needs a filler!

Hiya,

I tried a meatloaf recipe last night, and on Karen's suggestion I left out the breadcrumbs (Atkins or otherwise) and added some grated parmesan cheese and an extra egg instead. I don't know if I happened to be using a particularly "juicy" recipe or the wrong shape/size pan, but my meatloaf more or less stewed in its own juices instead of baking. I wound up using a turkey baster to remove the excess juice (and fat) from the corners. (I don't have one of those cool "self-draining" meatloaf pans...) I think I'll try some Atkins breadcrumbs next time.

I also tried a crust made of ground flaxseed, grated parmesan cheese, and melted butter which I smeared on top before cooking. I ran the meatloaf under the broiler at the end of cooking - it crisped up a little bit but was not as crunchy as I would have liked. Still tasty, though. (Read as, my husband even liked it.) I think some more experimentation is in order.