Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:31

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%
Cool OK then, how do you take flaxseed oil without throwing up!!!

I can down 100ml of vodka as well as any good Russian man. I can drink 2 x 10oz glasses of water no problem. I even used to be able to knock back a British pint (20 fl oz) of beer in one (no mean feat as English beer is like maiden's water).

But I can't drink 30 ml of flaxseed oil!

It's foul. It has a nutty flavour which I don't like, it sticks to your throat and then sits heavily in your stomach. Now I can remember why the last bottle went rancid in the fridge and had to be thrown away! I haven't thrown up yet but I get close.

So, how DO you take flaxseed oil. (And please don't say on a salad - I've tried it )?

Robert

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/152/140
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Hide it!

I have to blend it into my protein shake. I spent about 6 months gagging it down every morning and gave up. I just toss 2 tbs into the blender with 1 oz half-n-half, 6 oz water, whey protein powder and a few frozen strawberries. Can't taste it at all!

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:44

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Diddo! put it in a protein shake, or put it on your salad! You can even mix it up in tuna salad along with your mayo...

~Shelly
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:54
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I mix it with 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar and a little water and gulp it down. Tastes a little like salad dressing.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:54

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

I've opted for cod liver oil, so I don't have to convert the omega-3 fats into the DHA and EPA that the body actually uses. Luckily, my nose doesn't work too well in the morning, so I don't even taste the stuff.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 23:48

Plan: PP / Atkins
Stats: 275/215/170 Female 5'8
BF:too much/26%
Progress: 57%

I love the taste personally, but it seems as though I'm in the minority.

Blending it into your protein shakes is a good way to get it down, same as mixing it into your yogurt if you eat it (makes it taste a whole lot creamier). Use it in place of cream/butter when making mashed cauliflower.

If all else fails I'm sure that I've seen it in capsule form around the place.. have a hunt and you might find it.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 00:43
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I love the taste personally, but it seems as though I'm in the minority.

Yeah, me too.

Try mixing it half and half with olive oil as a dressing or blend it in with softened butter. Or better yet, turn it into a herb and garlic butter.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 01:26

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Why not just have flax seed or meal? Way more palatable, but not sure if you get the same benefits?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 02:28
Registered Member

Stats: 320/280/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I take it in these gel capsules I get from the health food store. You have to take quite a few, but it is worth it if you can't take it plain. I think the "NOW" supplement brand makes them.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 08:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

I also just slurp it down as is, but have learned that taking on an empty stomach or with solid food is much easier and less likely to cause oily burps or dyspepsia. The reason being that oil and water don't mix, and oil will rise up to the top of your stomach if it's full of a big glass of water .

Don't just dump it on your salad, mix it with the dressing ingredients first. Lemon and lime juice, cider vinegar or dijon mustard are good mixers, also mayonnaise.

Flax oil also blends well in a few Tbsp of full-fat live culture yogurt or sour cream. You could add a dot of sweetener and/or pure vanilla extract and eat it as is, or use savory seasonings such as minced garlic and basil to make a creamy salad dressing or cooked vegetable topper.

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 08:13

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I'm in the ranks of those that take my flaxseed oil straight up. Love the taste and slurp it off of a spoon. That said, just a few comments about other ways of doing it.

Putting it in a protein shake is a great idea and one that I used for a while. Just be sure to add it right at the end and blend just enough to mix it in. Over blending the oil will change it's molecular make up.

Taking the gel capsules is a possibility, but check at the store where you buy them to be sure that you are taking a quantity sufficient to derive benefit. It takes a lot of those capsules to equal a tablespoon of the oil.

There is another oil that you might try that has a better taste. It's called Udo's Oil and you can find information about it here:

http://www.udoerasmus.com/FAQ.htm

Hope this helps.

Marlaine
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 11:06

Plan: Avoiding gluten
Stats: 186/172/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 23%

I just pop a couple of pills a day. I have never had it straight out of the bottle.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-13, 11:33

Plan: No potatoes and vegan
Stats: 183/145/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Add to vegan shake :):):)

Hi,
I started taking the gross flax oil five days ago, trying different ways each time.
I am vegan, so no real milk shake, but I put 1/3 of a banana, 1/3 cup peanut butter, I do eat honey so a tbs of honey, four vegan chocolate mint cookies, and 2 tbs gross flax oil, and 2/3 cup of soy vanilla milk. The result I cannot taste the crap

I do have my BS in Geology, note not Chemistry, but I do want to say the only way to change the molecular make up of anything you need to heat it. So, blending will not change the oil

If you are taking the oil for its anti-inflammatory properties I have added 300mg of Magnesium twice a day and the response has been amazing!!!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-13, 16:28

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Zombie thread...