Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 22:12

Plan: lacto-ovo moderate carb
Stats: 163/147/141 Female 5 ft 5 "
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Stoss Therapy for 3 year old

My son recently had a series of cold/sore throat/ear infections.
Did a half hearted Stoss therapy. Gave him 10,000 IU for 3 days. He is considerably better now, although I was quite scared giving him that high dose. He is 12.5 kgs.

Was wondering if the 1000 IU / kg of body weight it for all ages or just for adults.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-10, 10:15

BF:

My starting any thread is jinxed - noone ever responds
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-10, 10:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Maybe other folks are like me and have no idea what Stoss Therapy is.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-10, 17:38

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

Stoss therapy is essentially a course of high dose D3 for a short period of time, then followed by maintenance doses days afterwards.. It's like a high-dose pulse to overcome particularly challenging disease states.

Shobha, this is the best I could find from Cannell at the D council, although I realize this is related to individuals with asthma:

Quote:
Even More Vitamin D Questions & Answers

There is a growing literature suggesting that vitamin D may not just help asthma, but may cure it. In my experience, how long it takes to help asthma depends on how long you have had asthma. Adults with asthma should take 10,000 IU per day and shoot for a 25(OH)D of around 100 ng/mL (250 nmol/L). Children with asthma should take at least 2,000 IU for every 25 pounds of body weight, also shooting for a 25(OH)D of around 100 ng/mL (250 nmol/L). Like depression, asthma is a disease with a serious morbidity and mortality, thus more aggressive dosing is indicated. After the asthma disappears, slowly reduce your asthma meds under the supervision of your doctor, then slowly reduce the dose of vitamin D to standard doses of 5,000 IU/day for adults, and 1,000 IU/day for every 25 pounds of body weight in children, keeping 25(OH)D levels between 50 and 80 ng/mL (125–200 nmol/L).
Your little one is roughly 27.55 pounds. You were providing roughly 9,074 IU per 25 lbs of body weight.

It sounds like a bit much, but I personally wouldn't be concerned given the duration of the intake at that level. Perhaps going forward, use the, perhaps conservative, amount Cannell suggests for children at 1,000 IU per 25 lbs of body weight as a daily dose? I know it doesn't answer you immediate questions, but I hope it helps in some way.

Last edited by Jayppers : Thu, Sep-30-10 at 17:49.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-10, 02:02

BF:

Thanks Jaypeppers. But the article you linked does not mention Stoss therapy. It seems like regular requirements for an asthmatic child.