Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 03:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/160/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Russell Stover's sf toffee in Canada?

Walmart no longer seems to be stocking it in BC, and that's the only place I have seen it! Does anyone know if I can order online somewhere in Canada? (the choc. covered toffee squares in the green bag).

Thanks much,
Datahamstr
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 07:03

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 77 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Do you have Walgreen's in Canada? I think they carry the whole line of Russell Stover products. I personally avoid Russell Stover like the plague, they are loaded with sugar alcohols and cause cramping and gas something fierce.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 09:41

Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Ooh, I love those! The isomalt makes them a teensy bit squeeky when you bite into them, but for a sugar free candy, I don't think anything else comes close. If one can tolerate non erythritol SAs that is.

As Edward mentioned, I'd give your pharmacy chain stores a call. Be prepared to pay more.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 12:30

BF:

Yeah, all of the Russell Stover stuff I had was good, but the "side effects" are tragic for me! LOL!! The chocolate-covered soft caramels I had were really good. Not sure if they still make them as this was a few years back. Unfortunately, they caused me the worst gas pains I have ever had in my entire life. I literally thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. That was before I knew that SA's had that effect. On the plus side, you could hardly tell they were sugar-free.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 04:09

BF:
Default Russell Stover's

Hi guys,

Thanks much for the info! I love them (the toffee ones) so much that they could literally make my day, week, whatever. Love them! (I have no life!) And I think I'm just normally sensitive to stuff like maltitol and if I get bad, I just take one or two acidolphus capsules from the health food store, and poof! no more gassiness or bloat. Neat, huh!

But you know what? I found my little buddies!!! They sell them at :
http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/?g...CFQqMCwoddxFp7w
which is actually featured on this site. Duh. They're in Ontario, I think.

Edward, they DO have the caramel ones you mentioned, but I'm too busy chawing down on the toffee!

So problem solved, even though the shipping to Vancouver will be about $10. This place also has Carbquik, but am inquiring about PolyD. Living in Canada is like living in a third world country, as far as availability of lc stuff (like Zimbagway, maybe).

Scott, I wanted to tell you that I got the clear Splenda from NZ, and now it's 2 tsp. = 1 cup sugar. Hmmmm.....little watering down going on, I should think.

So don't forget the acidoplolus (sp), it works great. And if you've REALLY messed yourself up with SA, I would first take activated charcoal tablets from health food store, which draws out ALL funky stuff, wait a couple hours, then take acipolphus. And don't use charcoal too often, or you'll end up looking like you're from Zimbagwai (draws out all nutrients too!! ) Some nice chamomile tea would be good while you wait (mom's from Old Country, have used this tea on everything from baby colic to too much beer!)
Take care,
Datahamstr
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 04:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by datahamstr
Living in Canada is like living in a third world country, as far as availability of lc stuff (like Zimbagway, maybe).

For those of us who were doing lowcarb in the mid 1990s though, we were very envious of Canadians because you had cyclamates (and still do I think) which were not available to us here in the U.S. I remember the shipping was so expensive so I would stock up and order packets, tablets and liquid.

Ed
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 10:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by datahamstr
Scott, I wanted to tell you that I got the clear Splenda from NZ, and now it's 2 tsp. = 1 cup sugar. Hmmmm.....little watering down going on, I should think.

2 tsp = 1 cup?!? That really stinks. Is this the Dale Hoffman stuff? Or maybe he's Australian.

Any idea of the cost per cup sweetening equivalent?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 11:35

BF:

I just got an email from Dale last week saying he was placing an order and that his price went up to $60 for 6 ounces which includes postage. I think he is from AUS. That made me a little leery. I did not realize he had to seek out customers before he placed an order. I am not sure what the sweetening "power" of his stuff is. I was under the impression that it was the same strength as Sweetzfree.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 13:04

BF:

If it is the same strength as sweetzfree, that's a good deal ($10 an ounce). He doesn't have quite the customer base/reputation that Sweetzfree has, but from speaking with the handful of people that have ordered from him, he's definitely on the level/trustworthy. The only downside I've heard about him is the slow turnaround.

At that price, he's getting my next order.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 14:29

BF:

I think he was charging $54 or $56 but upped because of increase in postage rates. I will have to try him out next time I order which is what I told him when I got the email last week.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 06:18

BF:

You guys should find this interesting. I went back in my files to find my orig. correspondence with Dale Hoffman (he's in Aust. or NZ, not sure). Here's the price info. he gave me:

My all inclusive cost for zero carb syrup is US$30. The price will be going up by US$2 mid January because of postage and product increases. The cost is for a 7oz bottle of syrup, 2 tsp equal 1 cup sugar.

The price is the same for up to 3 bottles, but for 4 bottles you can have them for US$110, all inclusive.

That was about Jan.1, 2006, so sounds like things have changed very rapidly. Myself, I was quite disappointed that the potency was so low, but the price was right, I was charged $35 CDN., which INCLUDED shipping, and didn't take long at all (less than 3 weeks). Now, I just got on the computer cause I couldn't sleep--and am NOT in the mood for math -- but it seems that the price is going way up and the potency, of course, is going way down.

Edward, yes we did have saccharin back in the day, and also, we have had Splenda for over 8 years, I think! So yeah, ok....But I've lived in both Calif and BC, and boy, what a difference in the boring shopping and high prices here! But you can't have everything.

I've been thinking that I'm going to use bulk, dry Splenda whenever possible, can't afford the new rates...

Datahamstr
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 06:40

BF:

Whooah, that is really strange. US$30 for 7 ounces of 2 t.= 1 C. strength liquid splenda?!?! Is this the same Dale Hoffman?

According to my calculations that comes out to $1.42 per cup sweetening equivalent. That's more expensive than fiberfit.

Although $10 an ounce for 1/4 t. = 1 C. strength (.41 per cup sweetening equivalent) liquid splenda seems a little too good to be true, I've always considered Dale to be competitive. $1.42 is a joke. With the recent increase Sweetzfree is only .75 per cup.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 03:23

BF:

I'm at my usual best night-time no-math self!

Yes, it's the Dale Hoffman you referred me to, for sure (I think it may be a girl not a guy, but not sure?). I just can't figure out what's going on, except Dales' stuff is much weaker now than in 2005. I'd love to get Sweetzfree myself, but too expensive, and being in Canada, you know the problems.

According to your calculations, I may as well get Fiberfit! (I want to order PolyD anyway). BTW, I've heard of a source in Brazil, but don't have any particulars. Hopefully, something will break soon and we'll get at least one more supplier (wonder what Trish is doing? ---she had a site in Canada, too)

Onward and upward!
Datahamster