Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 13:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Overweight Woman Claims Cabbie Denied Her Service"

Overweight Woman Claims Cabbie Denied Her Service

Civil Rights Commission Investigates Claim Against Cab Company

POSTED: 1:27 pm EDT May 27, 2004

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/3353328/detail.html?2

INDIANAPOLIS -- An Indianapolis woman said she was humiliated after a cab driver allegedly refused to let her in his vehicle in February because of her size.

Mararika Parker, who weighs 650 pounds, has depended on taxicabs for the past three years to drive her short distances, but she said she never had a problem getting service until February, WRTV reported.

"He said 'I can't ride you. You too big for my cab. You'll pop the doors off of my cab,'" Parker said. "I was so mad, I couldn't talk to him."

Parker went to the Indiana Civil Rights Commission, which is now pursuing an investigation against Indy Airport Taxi.

Officials with Indy Airport Taxi told the commission that the company has never refused transportation to a client based upon any type of discrimination, and claimed that Parker was physically unable to enter the cab, even with assistance from the driver.

"He (cab driver) said he may have to pull me in and out of the cab. That's not true. I'm 28 years old, I'm not a senior citizen. I'm just overweight and can't walk far," Parker said.

Commission officials had Parker call for a cab from her mother's home and observed her getting in and out of the cab without any problems. WRTV also observed Parker on camera getting into a cab without a problem.

The commission is still investigating the case, but Parker said she won't back down.

"I need help. It's not something I can do myself, and for him to embarrass me ... I am going to take it as far as I can," Parker said.

Officials say people who believe they are victims of discrimination have legal options.

"They can request damages such as emotional distress. They can file for an injunction if there is a pattern. Some can even get out-of-pocket expenses," Civil Rights Commission Chief Counsel Gregory Ellis said.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 13:55

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

Wow...that would be somethng! I hate discrimination about anything!! Its painful, cause some one has had to deal with it at one point in there lives!!! Uggghhh...poor women!!