Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 17:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Darnell: Confessions of an addict"

Darnell: Confessions of an addict

Patti L Darnell, The Midland Daily News 05/27/2003

link to article

For as long as I can remember, I’ve been addicted to the white powder.

No, not drugs. Though, for addicts like me, the white stuff – flour and sugar – is similar to a drug addiction. Like many carb addicts, I’m fine as long as I stay away from refined sugar and flour, but give me just one cookie, one potato chip and I’m instantly thrust into a downward spiral into what Dr. Atkins called food obsessive behavior.

For carb addicts such as myself, Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution is a blessing. It is also a curse.

It is said that people will never agree on politics and religion. This diet should be added to the list. Mention low-carb eating; get one of two responses: "It is unhealthy to eat eggs and bacon all the time." or "Do you know any good low-carb recipes? I’m getting bored with the diet but I don’t dare go back to eating carbs."

Anyone who has followed the Atkins’ diet knows that it is much more than bacon and eggs. It includes a wide variety of foods but I do miss homemade sweets, munchies and breads. The low-carb alternatives on the market tend to be expensive and not as tasty as homemade.

That’s why I was excited when I heard about the new book, "Low-Carb Sweets, The Art of Self-Indulgence," by Sharon Allbright. I sent for a copy, read it from cover to cover and immediately called for an interview with Sharon.

Sharon indicated in the book that she too had fought the carb addict’s ongoing battle. So she went to her kitchen and got creative. The results were delicious recipes and helpful insights to eating well without guilt.

After selecting a couple of recipes, Zero-Carb Waffles and Maple Syrup, I bought a waffle maker and the ingredients.

I never made waffles before so I carefully read the instruction booklet that came with the appliance. The important safeguards warned: Do not to touch the hot surface, Do not immerse in water and Do not use appliance for other than intended use. Duly noted.

The next page welcomed and congratulated me on the purchase of Sunbeam Model 3852. Wow, I’m part of the family.

I read each section: Preparing The Waffle Maker, Preparing The Waffles, Hints For Tasty Waffles and Creative Waffles. I’m prepared to make the waffles.

Once the batter was mixed and I got the green light from the waffle maker, I poured the amount suggested in the booklet (3/4 cup) into each waffle section.

While attempting to close the lid, I encountered a problem.

The batter overflowed and oozed out all sides as I slowly forced the lid closed. I realized right away that the suggested 3/4 cup of batter is for the entire surface, not for each side. But I had already committed to the closing, so I snapped it shut and watched as batter spewed forth like molten lava. The chorus coming from my new waffle maker sounded like a snoring dog on helium. It steamed and sizzled for several minutes but I didn’t give up hope that somehow the waffles inside the chamber would survive the ordeal.

The commotion brought my 15-year-old daughter Brie from the computer ( a rarity) and she laughed hysterically at my expense. My sweet angel.

After the steam ceased, I opened the lid expecting to find little more than stuck-on goo. Instead, the waffles popped right out and looked light and airy – just the as book promised. Triumphant.

I topped two waffles with real butter and some of the syrup that I made earlier. Then I savored the first bite. Delicious.

I have since made these waffles many times because, I’m happy to say, I’ve become completely addicted to them.
Sponsored Links