Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 13:51

Plan: atkins (for induction) "Protien power" at present
Stats: 202/189/130
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Newly determined

Hello people, my names Ivy.. ::big wave::

I have a couple of really big events coming up in April... I was determined to loose some weight...I was convinced by a neighbor to try "Atkins"...Not one to go into anything lightly lol...I bought Atkins book as well as Suzanne Sommers book...Iv'e also been cruising both sites...The more I researched the more "loosing weight" FAST..Became less important...As I sensed this could become a life style change that I could handle and feel good about.....Not to mention my hubby has been on the band wagon with me since day one (A total surprise) lol

My biggest problem so far has been keeping my backside outta the recipes..lol I love to cook and have already started collecting a ton of recipes (complete with fancy binder lol)....

I've been on induction for 2 1/2 weeks... The first 2 weeks I played with the same darn pound repeatedly..gain it, lose it, gain it, lose it grrrr .....Tried desperately not to take it to heart... I've read where so many of you have said to one newbie or another that each person is different blah blah blah... Well, today I went to work out...Hopped on the scales and had lost 3lbs...Crossing fingers that this is not some trick of the water retention fairy! heheee

Well, I'm off to the recipe forum to see if someone can tell me how to prepare and eat an artichoke/eggplant lmao..Have a good one ::smile::
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 14:56

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi Ivy -

Welcome to the forum and this WOE! Congratulations on your 3 lb loss! That's great! Its hard to be patient though isn't it? As for the water retention fairy...that's what you want!!! From what I understand your cells take out the fat and replace it with water for a while as a place holder. When your body is finally convinced that the fat isn't coming back, it dumps the water...we call that a Whoosh Fairy around here and sometimes you'll see her fly up your screen! Sometimes I have days where I spend more time in the bathroom than is warranted by the amount of water I've had to drink...and I know if I weighed in I would register a loss.

Good luck with the artichokes/eggplant. I can never get the eggplant to work properly but I just love to cut off the sharp points on the artichoke, steam it until you can easily slide a fork into the stalk. Then you peel off each leaf and dip the underside in either melted butter or a vinegarette and use your bottom teeth to tear off the soft "meat" on the underside of the leaf. Keep pulling off leaves until you get to the hairy ones...then cut those out. You'll be left with the "heart" of the artichoke and stalk - also good dipped in butter or vinegarette.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 17:12

Plan: atkins (for induction) "Protien power" at present
Stats: 202/189/130
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hiya LisaF,

Thanks for the info on the artichoke question.... I had looked at an artichoke very carefully ...The one I looked at sure didn't look like there was any meat in the leaves lol... I have read where several people love them though...Hey, I'm game....But, I have to ask, is the underside of the leave the part that faces outward or inward? lol

Ohh and thanks for the info on the woosh fairy!...Wouldn't want to alienate her!..........

:::::: Setting out plates of watermelon to lure the woosher:::::: hehe
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 18:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%
Thumbs up Welcome aboard Ivy

A Big Hi to you Ivy,

I love cooking as well, know what you mean about reading and making note of good recipes to use in the near future. I 've been pouring through my cook books, like Looney Tunes , that show the full break down fat/ carb ect, and making a list of what I'll be adding to my menu once off Induction. As well just got the N.R lasteast copy lot's of great ideas there too. Preparing like that will keep us on the road to losing, I think.

Cheers, good Luck
Kathy54